• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BigCountry14

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 17, 2013
    So this weekend I received a letter in the mail that I actually won one of the guns from the NRA's recent banned gun raffle. The winning ticket was for a Kimber Custom Covert II. I have to return a form to them, and they will send me confirmation details at the end of the month, but in my preparation for setting up the actual transfer and figuring out which FFL to use (i dont know if I have to find one, or they have a predesignated dealer), I realized that somehow, that Kimber variant is not on the current handgun roster.

So being that it looks like I will have to petition the board to get it approved, if I have to pick the FFL, any sugestions on who to go with? I live in Harford county and would hope to not have to make several round trips well out of the way. Ive purchased a few guns from Gun Connection before, but have never had a pistol tranferred. Just trying to do my homework and figure out who might be best to use with a pending roster petition.

As of this point I dont have any details past the preliminary letter that I have to respond to. I wont have the remaining details until Nov 29.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Rack&Roll

R.I.P
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 23, 2013
    Bunkerville, MD
    Congrats, but Maryland taking the joy out of winning makes me vomit.

The fukking Handgun Roster is a transparently racist Jim Crow holdover and Marylanders should be ashamed that we have it. Gee, Democrats, why do away with "Colored Only" drinking fountains but keep the Handgun Roster?

Shame on us for abiding this.

doggyjacket

Ultimate Member
    Aug 3, 2016
    MoCo
    Congratulations Man! Also, I believe the fine print in the contest rules says that you can take the cash value of the gun instead of the gun itself if you wanted to do that and thought the value on it was ok.

Edit:

Here are the rules:

Any winner eligible to win a prize but where the award of the prize would otherwise be in violation of federal, state, or local law will receive an alternate prize or cash prize of equal value selected at the sole discretion of the Sponsor.

https://nraraffle.nra.org/rules

BigCountry14

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 17, 2013
    Congratulations Man! Also, I believe the fine print in the contest rules says that you can take the cash value of the gun instead of the gun itself if you wanted to do that and thought the value on it was ok.

Edit:

Here are the rules:

https://nraraffle.nra.org/rules
    Yea, I had seen that, Id like the gun though. But that might be an option.

EKing

NRA Benefactor
    Aug 12, 2016
    Sykesville
    Congrats!
    I have been entering those drawings for years and never heard of an actual person winning. Was starting to wonder.

BigCountry14

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 17, 2013
    Whats really insane is the roster seems to have pretty much evey other Kimber...including the other varianta of the covert.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    In Harford County, I use the ladies at Bank Gun and Pawn in Havre de Grace.

Hawkeye

The Leatherstocking
    Jan 29, 2009
    Can anyone elaborate on what this "hand gun roster" is??

It is a list of handguns that are legal to buy in Maryland. If a handgun is not on the roster, it can not be bought in Maryland.

What it was billed as was a way to keep people "safe" from cheap "Saturday night specials." What it actually was and is is a racist way to keep guns out of the hands of poor people (which you can read as "black people"). Can't have the underclasses able to defend themselves and getting all uppity.

Jul 1, 2012
    It is a list of handguns that are legal to buy in Maryland. If a handgun is not on the roster and manufactured after January 1, 1985, it can not be bought in Maryland.

Just a clarification, handguns manufactured before 1985 don't have to be on the roster to be legally purchased.

beretta_maven

Free Thinking Member
    Jan 2, 2014
    SoMD
    You might want to check with a local FFL on this...from what I've been told, virtually all Kimber 1911s are considered approved, and even though the MD handgun roster doesn't explicitly name the Custom Covert II, it does list just the "Custom" in 45ACP and there is no such gun. I believe that single "Custom" entry just about covers all of the Custom series of guns.

Art3

Eqinsu Ocha
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 30, 2015
    Harford County
    Congrats! :party29:I didn't think anyone actually won those things. That sucks about the situation too. :sad20: Might be safer to take the money and run (and then buy the gun from an FFL, so you know it's legal)? Maybe they'll give you MSRP and you can shop around for a better deal?:innocent0

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom