• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 06MegaCTD

Mar 16, 2009
    Hanover
    After actually forgetting about it for a while, and since i just asked for my C&R applications i decided to bust out my old colt revolver that i have had since i was 14 and see if i can figure out how old it is and what model. My uncle just gave it to me for christmas and told me it was early 1900's colt. Thats all i really knew, so 14 years later well just did some research and found out its a 1912 Colt Army Special by the serial number on it. I think it has been reblued or whatever cause some of the markings are hard to read and i don't have the original grip, but any idea how much these usually go for and is this considered a C&R handgun?

zoostation

, ,
    Jan 28, 2007
    Abingdon
    The rebluing hurts the value, but just as a quick guess I think it's still probably in the $400-500 range. Also helps if the action is smooth and tight. Colt revolvers have notoriously complex actions (many modern gunsmiths won't even work on them any more) and any indications of poor cylinder timing or lockup reduce the value considerably as well as they are very expensive to fix.

06MegaCTD

Mar 16, 2009
    Hanover
    its a .38 and cycles very smoothly. Its a shooter too, i have put over 200 rnds thru it myself and never missed a beat.

Jim Keenan

Aug 16, 2008
    The Colt Army Special was the predecessor of the Official Police (same gun, different name). It uses the "modern" action, with the positive safety, and parts are usually available. The gun was made (as the Army Special) from 1908-1927 in .38 Special (most common), .32-20, and .41 Colt; about 249,000 were made, in the serial range from (about) 291000-540000. While never used by the Army (in spite of the name), they were a common police gun and are quite often seen with holster wear but in nearly new internal condition.

In average condition or reblued, they usually run about $275-300. Not too long ago I paid $250 for one in about 95% condition, which I considered a good deal.

Jim

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Sarca

Latest threads

Top Bottom