has anyone defended themselves with a knife?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • lee2

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Oct 8, 2007
    i was just wondering about this?
    care to share your story?

BossmanPJ

Ultimate Member
    Feb 22, 2013
    Cecil County
    I thought I was going to have to at a lamb of god concert at rams head live a few years back. I was standing at the urinal taking a piss and a guy seemed to have rushed at me while my back was turned. I saw him because I was looking over my shoulder and pulled my Kershaw out. turns out the guy was really drunk and actually fell over almost running into me. his friend apologized for him and all was fine... scary though to think of someone attacking you at a moment when you cant defend yourself.

nomo613

Nov 24, 2010
    pikesville
    I'm interested to hear stories as well. i take knife classes at my krav maga gym, and the more i take them the more i realize how unprepared i am for an actual edged weapons encounter. the most important thing about a knife fight is you have to understand that you will get cut, and accept it. as a matter of fact, i took my first belt test yesterday and both guys going for black belts ended up getting cut doing the disarms, but they continued and they passed. never give up. always win!

lee2

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Oct 8, 2007
    i'm wondering if anyone is prepared to use deadly force, or can an encounter end with a handshake or a nod?(obviously not at a urninal:D)

platoonDaddy

Ultimate Member
    Jun 30, 2011
    SouthOfBalto
    Standing in morning formation years ago, a SFC stated how he woke up with a firearm pointing at his head. His weapon was in a night stand drawer and no way could he have reached it. He & wife were robbed of almost everything.

From that point on: I have always have a knife when sleeping secured on my boxer shorts. When the clip knifes hit the market, they were the cats-meow. My kershaw is always clipped to my boxers and or pants pocket.

Boy Scout Motto: Be Prepared.

willy

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Oct 13, 2013
    Carroll County
    Had a guy a long time ago attack me with nun chucks. Got my balisong stuck about a 1/4" inch into his sternum. Pulled out and the blood started pouring. I asked him three times to back up.

lsw

לא לדרוך עליי
    Sep 2, 2013
    I too have had mine in my hand in dicey situations but thank god never a need to use it.

Tito

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 4, 2013
    Baltimore County
    In 1991, I was on leave from Germany, visting family and friends in Lawton. I met a sexy woman at the club, and we became regular **** buddies, while I was there. She lived in a house with her sister. Her sister hung with a rough crowd, and there were usually a few knuckleheads around the house. After a good day of fun, I took her home, and there were 3 guys outside. They said something stupid, and ignored them. I walked her to the door, and notice two of those knuckleheads head our way. I knew trouble was coming, and made sure she got in the house. When I attempted to return to my car, I had 3 guys surround me. The first guy swung at me and missed. I kicked him in the kneecap. The second guy hit me in the ear, and I pulled out my pocket knife. I saw a clear path, stabbed the next guy in his thigh, and haul ass to my car.

When I was pulling off, my rear window shattered. I didn't hear the first shot, but I heard the second and third. I paid to have my uncle's window repaired, and never went back to that area. I PCS from Germany to Ft. Sill, and purchased my first handgun.

I later found out, she dumped one of those guys, when we started messing around. The locals really hated the military guys because of situations like this.

ptman2000

Aug 19, 2013
    Riva, MD
    My step brother was stabbed about 20 times a couple years ago when he was in the john. Almost died at the hospital. Never proved but we all thought it was a drug deal done bad. This was back in Illinois.

Minuteman

BANNED!!!
    Not my story but was related to me by one of my Soldiers many years ago; he was a very quiet guy and I have no reason to not believe him:

Before he joined the military he attended a party at a guys house he didn't know very well. They were a bunch of gang bangers and started escalating to provoke a fight. He was trying to get the hell out of there when they just started punching him; he later realized some of those punches were actually stabs. He managed to fight his way out and ran to his car; I believe he drove himself to the hospital after realizing he had been stabbed.

BlackBart

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Mar 20, 2007
    Conewago, York Co. Pa.
    Yup, killed it dead and ate every last scrap! :drool::yummy:

Giant-BBQ-T-bone-steak-with-salad.jpg

zoostation

, ,
    Jan 28, 2007
    Abingdon
    He was trying to get the hell out of there when they just started punching him; he later realized some of those punches were actually stabs.

Just pointing this quote out because this is such a common occurrence in knife attacks, where the victim mistakes stabs for hand strikes. Saw it happen sometimes on the job (saw a security guard almost code out once while he was talking to us, not realizing a shoplifter had stabbed him in the chest). Israelis also have documented this phenomenon well, especially during street attacks during the intifada.

NickZac

Ultimate Member
    Aug 12, 2007
    Baltimore, MD
    i'm wondering if anyone is prepared to use deadly force, or can an encounter end with a handshake or a nod?(obviously not at a urninal:D)

I think it depends on the situation...sometimes things happen so fast one barely realizes what has happened or what they did...almost like a gut reaction with conscious thought occurring only after the fact. I didn't need the urinal as I pissed myself. But I do believe one should be prepared for the worst and be ready to take meaningful action with the appropriate tools and technique.

photoracer

Competition Shooter
    Oct 22, 2010
    West Virginia
    3 times in my life I pulled a folding blade to clean my fingernails and defuse a threat I saw coming. 2 other times I had to actually engage an adversary. In one a couple of precision but minor cuts made the person realize they were in over their head and he booked. In the other was the only time I took a wound in return. Even at 66 the scar on the back of my right hand is still visible from a switchblade that went right thru the coat I had wrapped around my right hand (I was all lefty in those days as a teenager). Unfortunately for him that allowed me to slash a tendon in his leg and a muscle in his right arm and terminate the encounter. I am not sure to this day whether I could have killed him if required. Probably not although I have done it by proxy considering the number of SEAL team members I trained for a short time during Nam. That is about all I will say on the subject..

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    This wasn't me , but someone I went to HS with.

He was working at local Liquor store which was frequently robbed , and most of the employee's were armed. If the robbers seem reasonably coherent , and just want money , they get the money w/o fuss . Attacking anyone , or ordering people into back room , triggers OK Corral pt2 .

My friend usually carried a 2.5in Python , but at the recent Chrismas time , he had yet to have its replacement. So his primary armament was a Gerber Mk II Combat Knife ( the uber status knife of the day) .

So one night , another robbery , and the robber lunges over the counter at him.. My friend whips out his Mk II , and cuts him down to the bone on the upper arm, he drops gun when the muscle , nerve , and tendon damage leave his fingers inoperable.

BG eventually was a guest of Md Penetentary for several years.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Argh . Can't get the Edit to work with blueberry again.

The sentance should have included :

He had given his Python to brother for Christmas gift , and haden't yet gotten replacement.

Roneut

Oct 10, 2010
    Just pointing this quote out because this is such a common occurrence in knife attacks, where the victim mistakes stabs for hand strikes. Saw it happen sometimes on the job (saw a security guard almost code out once while he was talking to us, not realizing a shoplifter had stabbed him in the chest). Israelis also have documented this phenomenon well, especially during street attacks during the intifada.

Agree! Saw it all the time when I worked near the ER in Baltimore. Often they walk in under their own power, even if they die later.

I think this also illustrates one drawback to edged weapons in self-defense: lack of stopping power. If the BG is still able to keep punching you (or shoot at you as you retreat) it's not really all that helpful. While a few of these posts show a blood drawn without death and a stop achieved, this is exceedingly rare. I'm actually very surprised to see this many in one thread. Often the knife user ends up in trouble with the law for assault with a deadly weapon because the BG runs crying to the cops. Or the BG dies with no witnesses and you're the one holding the bloody weapon having to explain yourself.

Not saying they aren't useful though. I've noticed most "stops" with a knife are psychological as can been seen by the other posts: The sight of the knife makes the BG reconsider and retreat. I've done this many times. Once with a mess kit knife when another boy at camp was punching me, another time I pulled a sword on three drunks who were threatening me (that's a bizarre story, and no I was not carrying the sword for defense, it was just coincidence).

Second Amendment

Ultimate Member
    May 11, 2011
    I have twice had to pull mine out in Baltimore City. Nothing more happened as my situational awareness is very good. I avoided the use of my knife as I avoided coming close to two I know were going to try something. One must have been pretty stupid as he obviously tried to time our intersecting on a sidewalk from a stand still. And what really sucks, is that happened right in front of my workplace.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Tactical Shepherd

Latest threads

Top Bottom