• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • K-43

West of Morning Side
    Oct 20, 2010
    PG
    K-43, I'm not sure I follow your line of thinking above. Usually, if someone zero's at 100 yards on max magnification, then as they drop down in magnification the distance each BDC circle represents increases. What you describe above is just the opposite of what should happen unless I have made an error which the way today is going wouldn't be unusual.
    Below is an example of data you can pull up utilizing Spot On.
    I zero at 4x @ 100 yards. The setting I use @ 100 yards for hunting deer.
    (Edit: Most of my deer shooting has been at about 100 yards give or take 25.)
    @ 8x, 1st dot is on at 206 yards and 2nd dot is on at 302 yards.

I don't zero at max power because I use 4x @ 100 yards plus or minus, and crank up beyond 150 yards.

150 grain bullet
    BC .336
    MV 2800

Edit:
    The beauty of the app is that you can adjust according to how you wish to approach it. I start with my accurate handload data. Then adjust to how I use the scope.
    When hunting I want to keep it simple, no cards, no calculations, just two power settings on the scope to change. If in a stand, I lase the ranges of key landmarks so that when a deer appears, I know an approximate range.

Last edited:

bman940

Bart, Nikon Pro Staff
    Oct 11, 2010
    North Texas
    I get it. I would just suggest zeroing your rifle on max magnification to get the greatest possible accuracy. Then after you zero, put magnification on 3-4 and blast away. At least you will have better accuracy doing it that way.

K-43

West of Morning Side
    Oct 20, 2010
    PG
    I get it. I would just suggest zeroing your rifle on max magnification to get the greatest possible accuracy. Then after you zero, put magnification on 3-4 and blast away. At least you will have better accuracy doing it that way.

:thumbsup:
    That didn't occur to me.
    Maybe I'll try your method.
    I just figure I have to be inside a dinner plate out to 300. My method just coincidentally came close to dots dead on 200 and 300 @ 8x.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    K-43, I'm not sure I follow your line of thinking above. Usually, if someone zero's at 100 yards on max magnification, then as they drop down in magnification the distance each BDC circle represents increases. What you describe above is just the opposite of what should happen unless I have made an error which the way today is going wouldn't be unusual.
    Below is an example of data you can pull up utilizing Spot On.

It depends on whether the scope is First Focal Plane or Second Focal Plane.

First Focal Plane scopes, the reticle subtensions (marks) are the same at any power. On my bolt rifle with a Vortex Viper PST FFP, Each mark for 1 mil is 1 mil at any setting for 6x to 24x.

Second Focal Plane scopes, the subtensions change with zoom setting.

Also, if you have to have a custom chart for what each BDC circle is, why not have a mil dot or similar type of reticle and have the same charge for it?????

bman940

Bart, Nikon Pro Staff
    Oct 11, 2010
    North Texas
    Pine, Correct, K isn't using a FFP scope though. Each tool has its use. I have been shooting BDC reticle scopes way before Spot On came about and dialing in the reticle to your shooting data bumped the accuracy up immensely. I have taken 2 deer at 599 yards and many other animals inside of that distance. Zeroing your scope on max magnification to get the best possible accuracy is the way to go. Whatever magnification you use after that is your choice. I shot 3 bobcats last week on 4.5 X at 80-120 yards instead of my max option of 14X.Find what works for you and lets you make 1 shot stops and use it.

Virgil Co.C

Aug 10, 2018
    Have 2 of them 1 on a muzzle loader and 1 on shotgun . For the money and without getting technical they do the job and have held up well for me. Say you plan on keeping shots around 100yards these are more than sufficient for that. To me it’s a good budget scope that I have had no issues with. Great hunting scope . Actually have one on a35 Remington also. Other rifles I have have upgraded scopes but totally different application. Tried a Hawke scope which they are somewhat new to the market with a lifetime warranty. I’m happy with it. But seems you can pickup these Nikons for cheap when on sale.Dicks prices them when on sale around 100 dollars . Bought a 4x12 last year for 125 . Top of line no. Work does the job , clear and have had no issues. For the money don’t feel you can go wrong especially if your not planning for the ole sniper shot.jmo

bman940

Bart, Nikon Pro Staff
    Oct 11, 2010
    North Texas
    lol, I couldn't agree more! I remember those days when every penny went towards tuition, rent, car, girls and whatever was left I used for hunting. Those were tent camping day which thankfully is long behind me. As some of you know, I do freelance work with Nikon. I do not work for them, meaning I am not an employee of theirs. I do zero sales and just try to help guys out wherever I can related to Nikon products. I buy their scopes, bino's, rangefinder and numerous other products. Nikon's PROSTAFF/P3 line is just for the reason's you stated above. They get the job done and don't cost a ton of money. I have a number of PROSTAFF scopes on rifles and I hit what I aim at. I know my limitations and the rifles which is something that I have found on this site that you guys are very good about too. As always, any Nikon related question or problem, feel free to drop me a note and I will do my best to help you guys out. Happy Veteran's Day and Thank you to all of you who have or are serving this great country.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    DominicM

Latest threads

Top Bottom