• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BFMIN

Ultimate Member
    Nov 5, 2010
    Eastern shore
    I'm going to be moving to there in a couple of weeks & if anyone can give me the 411, I'd appreciate it.

Pistol & rifle shooter, so far I've found some clubs & ranges, but they all seem to be bird hunting & shotgun ones.
    Oh I'm deathly allergic to shellfish, but can eat fish.
    Bummer :puke:

Let me have the good, the bad & the ugly, please.
    I'm coming from Western Md, so day tips are a bit of a challenge, but we did get there for a weekend recently & checked out St Michaels, & Easton & I vaguely remember Cambridge form some years back.
    Thanks.

Overwatcher

MDS Supporter
    Dec 12, 2019
    Eastern Shore of Maryland
    I to moved from Western Maryland about 30yrs ago, now in Trappe. All the ranges I know of in Talbot county are shotgun ranges. Dorchester county there is Delmarva Sporting Clay. Rifle&Pistol 25yds to 500yds. Also Cambridge Rod & Gun club. 25yds to 100yds. I think you have to be a member for that one. I've been told Caroline County 4H has a range out to 1000yds. I havent been there. No indoor ranges around unless you go to Delaware or to western shore. Hope this helps.

303_enfield

Ultimate Member
    May 30, 2007
    DelMarVa
    I to moved from Western Maryland about 30yrs ago, now in Trappe. All the ranges I know of in Talbot county are shotgun ranges. Wicomico county there is Delmarva Sporting Clay. Rifle&Pistol 25yds to 500yds. Also Cambridge Rod & Gun club. 25yds to 100yds. I think you have to be a member for that one. I've been told Caroline County 4H has a range out to 1000yds. I havent been there. No indoor ranges around unless you go to Delaware or to western shore. Hope this helps.

Part in red.

Rambler

Doing the best with the worst.
    Oct 22, 2011
    Thanks guys.
    Anything non shooting to look for or avoid?

Talbot County can be an area of extremes. It is one of the counties in the USA with the most wealthy people. Yet, there are many in poverty as well. It has become somewhat of a safe-haven and popular place to take up residence for "recent immigrants". The school system is good overall with some standout unusual things for a smaller more rural area such as strong music programs and Latin taught at Easton High School (and St. Michaels via video).

There are many great restaurants in the area including one (The Bagery in Easton)owned and operated by a member here.

The area overall is home to many small museums, local festivals as well as larger events including:

The Waterfowl Festival
    Tuckahoe Steam and Gas Association
    Chesapeake Bay Maritime Museum

There are many State Parks throughout the region with hiking, camping, historical sites and hunting.

The area has a rural feel but has much more than just fast food and stay home and watch TV.

BFMIN

Ultimate Member
    Nov 5, 2010
    Eastern shore
    Thanks again.
    I've contacted several clubs/ranges & some require references from existing members.
    How is this dealt with for people coming from far a way who are new to the area?

Doco Overboard

Ultimate Member
    Thanks again.
    I've contacted several clubs/ranges & some require references from existing members.
    How is this dealt with for people coming from far a way who are new to the area?

A lot of times you meet people at church fundraisers, the VFD, school/athletic functions etc.
    Ruritan, Lyons clubs, VFW dinners sportsman's banquets etc. 4-H.

Most people are skeptical of persons coming from outside of the area until they get to know them some. Once you do, you'll find a place.
    It's just like anywhere else.

boatbod

Ultimate Member
    Nov 30, 2007
    Talbot Co
    I moved to Talbot in 2004 and really like the slower pace of life (and less traffic) compared to Northern Virginia. While you may have to travel 45-50 minutes to reach Delmarva Sporting Clays, you can also set up your own private range if you have suitable property outside of the incorporated towns.

Don't expect too many big city facilities. Easton is the main economic hub and has a Lowes, Target, Walmart, ACME, Giant and Harris Teeter. The smaller towns have varying shopping facilities anywhere from something to nothing. St Michaels is crazy with tourists in the summer and Oxford is the polar opposite... more of a retirement town. Everyone knows everybody else' business and may "know" more about you than you do! :P

Crime is generally pretty low and there is sufficient presence of town police, sheriff deputies and MSP to keep things on an even keel. Fire Departments are all volunteer. Paramedics are paid/career (Talbot DES), supplemented with volunteer crews from some of the fire departments.

DAVIDMAGNUM

Oct 19, 2007
    Federalsburg
    Marshyhope Rod & Gun Club
    Just east of the megatropolis of Federalsburg . It is a small club on 7 acres but we have a 300 yard range. Meetings are the first Wednesday of the month starting at 7:00pm. Attending some meetings and some of the shoots that are open to the public will get you a sponsor I'm sure.

BFMIN

Ultimate Member
    Nov 5, 2010
    Eastern shore
    Thanks.
    I found their page on F/B, complete with this little billy doo.
    To comply with Governor Hogan's restrictions on social gatherings, club meetings and events are cancelled. The range itself is open for use by members.

1) Groups of 10 or less
    2) Wash your hands often
    3) Stay home if you are sick
    We're still (literally) digging out of the disaster that was our move, but will get back to living "normally" soon & will look into the tips later.

Bountied

Ultimate Member
    Apr 6, 2012
    Pasadena
    Easton was once the 8th best small town in America! I graduated from EHS and SU. I want to move back to the shore really badly, but my career field makes it tough. Waterfowl is fun but not super amazing. I'm surprised the gun show was this weekend instead of next, they usually coincide. BTW the gun show is OK couldn't stop this year on my way back across the bridge. We got 3 blinds brushed and built and 3 deer stands up so it was a productive day at least.

BFMIN

Ultimate Member
    Nov 5, 2010
    Eastern shore
    Not bad, about 35 miles away by road.
    I missed the gun show, as we're still digging out & SWMBO insists no play till we find everything so she can sue the movers!

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    SrAIC

Latest threads

Top Bottom