• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rach123

Jan 6, 2016
    So did you apply for the PI license and Handgun Permit on the same app? and did you apply as a security guard license as well?

yes all on the same app and yes to the security guard as well. Have you done this too? If so, how did it work out?

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    Kinda strange. The actual W&C permit app says they may take up to 45 business days but the MSP SOP says applicants are to be notified if the investigation will go beyond 90 days. I can't find anything in either the statutes or COMAR regarding a processing time. Only that MSP will conduct an investigation.

More intentional ambiguity?

redeemed.man

Ultimate Member
    Apr 29, 2013
    HoCo
    Kinda strange. The actual W&C permit app says they may take up to 45 business days but the MSP SOP says applicants are to be notified if the investigation will go beyond 90 days. I can't find anything in either the statutes or COMAR regarding a processing time. Only that MSP will conduct an investigation.

Theoretically they could tell you at the end of each ninety day period they were continuing the investigation in perpetuity. I guess the peasants should count themselves lucky.

Rach123

Jan 6, 2016

The MSP website says please allow 90 days for the completion of the application process. I believe there is a way to appeal if they are taking too long and requesting numerous extensions. I hope it doesn't get to that point though. I haven't heard of any instances where they just drag it on by getting extensions. That seems pointless- but it is Maryland

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    here is a screen grab directly from the W&C permit app. 90 business days

Attachments

• application.jpg
      application.jpg
      99.1 KB · Views: 782

Schipperke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 19, 2013
    Yes I got the generic while conducting business as restrictions, appealed based on being self employed and always at work.

NOBODY

Then the restriction was moot. Don't understand why all the people working 24/7/365 bother appealing the restriction. :innocent0

Rach123

Jan 6, 2016
    Then the restriction was moot. Don't understand why all the people working 24/7/365 bother appealing the restriction. :innocent0

I thought about that too. What's the point and how would they determine you aren't working or on your way to work? That's a burden of proof they have to prove.

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    The MSP website says please allow 90 days for the completion of the application process. I believe there is a way to appeal if they are taking too long and requesting numerous extensions. I hope it doesn't get to that point though. I haven't heard of any instances where they just drag it on by getting extensions. That seems pointless- but it is Maryland

No it says 90 business days as this screen shot illustrates.

Attachments

• app2.jpg
      app2.jpg
      107.7 KB · Views: 759

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    i am talking about new apps, not renewals. but for renewals it also says 90 business days. not 90 days

90 days=3 months
    90 business days =4.5 months. huge difference

Attachments

• app3.jpg
      app3.jpg
      97.1 KB · Views: 769

Nobody

Ultimate Member
    Jan 15, 2009

While I Know I am at work even while I am out to dinner with my wife, a LEO may not believe me which could either cause me to be arrested, have to obtain a lawyer, spend time in jail and could potentially cause me to lose my right to firearms in the future, all because a LEO did not believe my articulation. Also I have the 5th amendment which if I invoke I could face the same possibility as above. Just because I am at work does not mean I might meet an anti, RE: we should have guns and no one else LEO, I know a few of them personally, get locked up, get a jury who believes LEO do no wrong and get found guilty and be disarmed forever.

I know it is a BIG what if but not one I want to take if I have options to not have to.

You sir may take your chances.

NOBODY

PitStop

Jan 26, 2017
    Yesterday I sat for my W&C interview by MSP. MSP informed me that if you are applying for MD W&C as an employee (carrying while conducting business for your employer), the letter from your employer must state that they are "requesting" you to carry. A letter from your employer "allowing" you to carry during business hours is no longer acceptable. Basically they want the employer to take responsibility for your carrying.

redeemed.man

Ultimate Member
    Apr 29, 2013
    HoCo
    It says allow 90 days for renewal ... if you don't apply for renewal 90 days before your permit expires you can't renew, you have to apply as a new applicant, not a renewal.
    This is incorrect. As long as your
    application is submitted prior to expiration you are good to go. As a matter of fact if you wait until the last minute you can keep carrying on your old permit until the new one arrives.

MJD438

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 28, 2012
    Somewhere in MD
    Maryland State Police have 90 days to act on the application, after which time the applicant may petition the HPRB, per Public Safety §5–312 - http://mgaleg.maryland.gov/webmga/f...on=5-312&ext=html&session=2017RS&tab=subject5.

Days, by statute, are defined as calendar days unless the specific title provides differently, per General Provisions §1–302 - http://mgaleg.maryland.gov/webmga/f...on=1-302&ext=html&session=2017RS&tab=subject5.

I am not a lawyer, but I do not find any enabling legislation in the usage of the word day, throughout the entire Public Safety Article that changes the definition of calculation of days.

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    But MSP decided to edit the law and their web site says 90 BUSINESS days.

More made up shite like requiring live fire for the HQL when the statute doesn't require it.

lonzo

Dec 8, 2015
    Moco
    I got a little over a year to do a renewal, but I'm going to follow what is on their site vs what the law says...Since I don't have the time/money to fight with stupid..Tho I wish there was a sticker CCW renewal so that people can see/find out what has changed or what is needed to renew again

GTOGUNNER

IANAL, PATRIOT PICKET!!
    Patriot Picket
    Dec 16, 2010
    Carroll County!
    This is incorrect. As long as your
    application is submitted prior to expiration you are good to go. As a matter of fact if you wait until the last minute you can keep carrying on your old permit until the new one arrives.

Correct.. That is one reason the permit says "If expired, contact MSP prior to arrest."

CypherPunk

Opinions Are My Own
    Apr 6, 2012
    It says allow 90 days for renewal ... if you don't apply for renewal 90 days before your permit expires you can't renew, you have to apply as a new applicant, not a renewal.

Please don't rely on the above information.

See Md. STATE GOVERNMENT Code Ann. § 10-226, and the MSP SOP for original, renewal and subsequent handgun permit applications.

But then, what do I know?

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom