• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • judah7

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Mar 18, 2017
    I will never use anything but synthetic motor oil onI firearms, pistols or grease.

AlanInSilverSpring

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Apr 25, 2017
    Don't know how to embed videos but here's a good one Hickok45 cleaning...
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=DZf4mUM10Vc

Put "yt" inside brackets [] then the video code, in this case DZf4mUM10Vc, then "/yt" inside brackets []

If that's not coming across right just hit the "quote" button and you'll see what I mean.

Edit: meant to say, hit the quote button on the reply where I embedded the video

Last edited:

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    We do tend to get heated and highly partizan over this, so I'll give some very oversimplified :

CLP products intend/ claim to do everything, but that is inherently impossible. At best they are either a moderately effective lube with minor cleaning properties, or moderately effective cleaning with modicum of lube .

The worst thing is absense of slippery stuff.

Almost always some sort of slippery stuff if far, far better than no slippery stuff .

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    The usual recommendation is grease if it slides, oil if it rotates.

I typically grease slide rails, and oil for rest.

Brian Enos sells a grease called Slide Glide, that he swears by.

Softens felt recoil in semi-autos
    It’s super “stringy” – it stays where you put it – forever.
    Blended with the highest-grade extreme pressure compound available

But he also says:

Slide-Glide is a grease, so it will slow down a pistol’s slide-speed (compared to oil). For carry or duty pistols, protection from wear is not an issue – 100% reliability is the most important factor. For that reason, I only recommend Slide-Glide Lite in carry or duty pistols. And even then – applied very sparingly!

I picked some up, but have not tested it.

http://brianenos.com/pages/slide-glide

As for oil, I have switched to pretty much Mobil 1 for all uses on firearms.

jonnyl

Ultimate Member
    Sep 23, 2009
    Frederick
    Just got my first Glock a couple months ago. It came with a copper colored grease on the rails. The manual said it is "intended to help provide long-term lubrication and should not be removed". So it seems the support a thicker lube than oil on the rails.

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    Lol you guys keep going with what you believe. But SIGs need to be drowning in lube. Any kind.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Art3

Eqinsu Ocha
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 30, 2015
    Harford County
    I'll echo a few sentiments here: Yes, a lot of overthinking (but, hey, that's MDS, right?). I like grease on sliding parts, especially because it stays put longer. Modern synthetics (both oil and grease) may be rewriting the rules a little bit.

A similar department to mine in a sister company years ago came up with a motto after they killed a motor from running it dry, "The wrong oil is better than no oil" :innocent0

I also heard this on TV, "RTFM: Read The Factory Manual" :shrug:

AlanInSilverSpring

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Apr 25, 2017
    I'll echo a few sentiments here: Yes, a lot of overthinking (but, hey, that's MDS, right?). I like grease on sliding parts, especially because it stays put longer. Modern synthetics (both oil and grease) may be rewriting the rules a little bit.

A similar department to mine in a sister company years ago came up with a motto after they killed a motor from running it dry, "The wrong oil is better than no oil" :innocent0

I also heard this on TV, "RTFM: Read The Factory Manual" :shrug:

I can understand differing views on which caliber is better, which lube is better, hell even which color is better, but THAT'S JUST CRAZY TALK

Art3

Eqinsu Ocha
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 30, 2015
    Harford County
    I can understand differing views on which caliber is better, which lube is better, hell even which color is better, but THAT'S JUST CRAZY TALK

Well, yeah...I mean, I'm not suggesting it as a primary, secondary, or even tertiary solution...I'm just sayin'...you know, before you throw your gun in the river, change your gender, and move to Mexico...at least take a last ditch peak :D

TargetGrade

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 13, 2017
    Pensultucky
    Lucas White Lithium Grease is cheap and functional. Not sure if they make it anymore but a few drops of Power-up oil additive was great on my Garand when mixed with lithium.

smokey

2A TEACHER
    Jan 31, 2008
    If I want it to stay put, I toss some synthetic bearing grease. If I want it to migrate, oil. Rails/locking block/barrel get grease...barrel getting only a thin coating. Fire control group stuff gets oil to get down in the nooks n crannies.

Chris

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Jun 21, 2005
    Cecil Co, Maryland
    I don't own a Glock and most likely will never but the handguns I run are lubed with anything that's slippery from oil, grease, teflon, EWL or butter. It all works to move that slide down the rails, trigger, ejector and barrel link. I have even used farm tractor red grease now that stuff really works. Chris

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Blaster229 is right about one thing . Sig P2xx are pickier about requiring more , and more frequent, lube than most other semi pistols .

'Cept maybe a 1911 with a really tight bushing .

tallen702

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 3, 2012
    In the boonies of MoCo
    Don't own a Glock, but I do own a K-31 which means I have both oil and grease in my kit. I use both. The K-31 gets grease only, because that's what the Swiss specified for it (and most of their other military small arms). But with just about everything else, I use oil where lubrication needs to work into a tight spot, or where abrasive material is likely to gather. I'll use grease in wider areas that aren't likely to gather as much grit, and in areas which see the most pressure. Grease lubricates under pressure much better than oil. That said, I think both really work equally as well in most applications they both have pros and cons depending on the situation. As someone else said though, the wrong lubricant is better than no lubricant.

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    Blaster229 is right about one thing . Sig P2xx are pickier about requiring more , and more frequent, lube than most other semi pistols .

'Cept maybe a 1911 with a really tight bushing .
    Some of my longer range days I would drench it with lube, literally running down the frame. They like being wet.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Tactical Shepherd

Latest threads

Top Bottom