• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ARenthusiast

Mar 17, 2012
    Hey guys, so I'm sure everyone here has heard of spikes tactical. I'm also sure that your aware of their major shortage. I just finished my first spikes build and it took me 3 FREAKING months!! solely due to the fact that it is damn near impossible to find spikes products, let alone complete uppers. So i decided that I am going to Get a State tax ID number and start buying from them in bulk, whenever they have products avail. specifically, I was thinking about buying complete uppers.

So my question is, being new here in MD, do you guys think I would have trouble making my money back?? I would not be doing this for much of a profit at all. Just enough to cover my expenses, help some local guys out and maybe earn some free products for myself.

any feedback would be greatly appreciated, thanks.

MauiWowie

I have the SIGness...
    Nov 23, 2008
    Harford Co.
    Tax ID number is not needed if you are just buying several uppers and decide to sell a few...

If you are buying for resale and plan on being a dealer for them you'd need a Tax ID and a Sales and Use ID
    You'll need to create something like an articles of incorporation or at the min get an accountant or attorney to start up your company so that is their fee plus MD charges $300 per year fee

You wouldn't have an issue making back your money but with GC and JoeBob honestly the HA isn't worth it for the small profit unless you go hard core and buy $20K worth of uppers etc. There are CC fee's, Shipping Supply Fees, Spikes charges a CC fee also so you better have CASH. You'd also have to charge 6% sales tax for instate sales and online there are other selling fee's oh and the state of MD would be bugging you every quarter for the sales tax and you better pay on time or they will hit you with Fee's. Your taxes would be alot harder to do and you'd probably need an accountant.

virtus

Ultimate Member
    Aug 11, 2010
    Tax ID number is not needed if you are just buying several uppers and decide to sell a few...

If you are buying for resale and plan on being a dealer for them you'd need a Tax ID and a Sales and Use ID
    You'll need to create something like an articles of incorporation or at the min get an accountant or attorney to start up your company so that is their fee plus MD charges $300 per year fee

You wouldn't have an issue making back your money but with GC and JoeBob honestly the HA isn't worth it for the small profit unless you go hard core and buy $20K worth of uppers etc. There are CC fee's, Shipping Supply Fees, Spikes charges a CC fee also so you better have CASH. You'd also have to charge 6% sales tax for instate sales and online there are other selling fee's oh and the state of MD would be bugging you every quarter for the sales tax and you better pay on time or they will hit you with Fee's. Your taxes would be alot harder to do and you'd probably need an accountant.

What he said.

Although if you go this route and need an accountant, I'd be happy to take some of your money :D

ARenthusiast

Mar 17, 2012
    Geez, didn't realize it would get that complicated. I thought taxes don't come into play until you start making 5k a year? Just something I heard, not really sure. I guess I'll do more research. Thanks for all the info.

MauiWowie

I have the SIGness...
    Nov 23, 2008
    Harford Co.
    Geez, didn't realize it would get that complicated. I thought taxes don't come into play until you start making 5k a year? Just something I heard, not really sure. I guess I'll do more research. Thanks for all the info.

If you're staying that far under the radar then delete this post and don't get the Tax ID or Sales and Use ID just DO IT!

IMO it's going to be a hard sell to ask someone to pay more than what spikes is asking when they can go direct.... You would have the item in stock so that may give you a little wiggle room for profit

But I'd delete this post if it were me... :innocent0

JoeBobOutfitters.com

Industry Partner
    Oct 20, 2010
    Hays, KS

Spike's doesn't have generous profit margins, honestly. Unless you are selling a very large volume, the shipping, COD or Credit Card Fees, hassles, etc are going to nickel and dime any profit margin you planned on having, down to hardly anything. Some products are available with bulk discounts but you're talking really large orders, not onsie twosie. Without bulk, it's going to be hard to compete with any of the bigger dealers on price.

For instance, there is less than a $50 spread between normal dealer price and our price to customers on a 5035-MLS upper. So, if you were trying to undercut us including sales tax and shipping costs you'd have to sell it for cost, or less than. Not a huge incentive, honestly. There isn't a whole lot of meat on the bone for dealers, and there are of course long delays unfortunately. They do however, make a great product at a very competitive price for the consumers which keeps their products moving well.

mayor_quimby

4+4= Jello
    Nov 19, 2008
    There are so many brands of uppers and lowers and the millions pieces in between that are used that I don't see the reason why one would go down this route for one company. Just sounds like you are setting yourself up with inventory that you "might" be able to sell.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    angel45z

Latest threads

Top Bottom