• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dg5918

Mar 9, 2019
    If someone has just a barrel that is HBAR, is that enough If they don't pass it retroactively? (just trying to think if the panic buy starts and it gets hard to find full ARs that meet the requirement)

Rack&Roll

R.I.P
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 23, 2013
    Bunkerville, MD
    If someone has just a barrel that is HBAR, is that enough If they don't pass it retroactively? (just trying to think if the panic buy starts and it gets hard to find full ARs that meet the requirement)

Welcome to the forum.

Nope, an HBAR barrel is just a firearm part.

They are interested in banning the serialized (and even the unserialized) receivers of all pre 2013 ARs, without which you ain’t got no gun.

Better yet, we ask everyone to consider reading up on this forum about the hearings and the testimony opportunities—however truncated—that we have in Annapolis as the Democrat Deathstar tries to suffocate 2A in MD for the next month.

dg5918

Mar 9, 2019
    Welcome to the forum.

Nope, an HBAR barrel is just a firearm part.

They are interested in banning the serialized (and even the unserialized) receivers of all pre 2013 ARs, without which you ain’t got no gun.

Better yet, we ask everyone to consider reading up on this forum about the hearings and the testimony opportunities—however truncated—that we have in Annapolis as the Democrat Deathstar tries to suffocate 2A in MD for the next month.

Thanks, first time being on a forum like this.

What if a person has the lower and just the right barrel, but not all the other parts?

Wow, MD is really going crazy this year. Im gonna read up on all those threads, but just from taking a quick look, it looks very insane.

Love the deathstar reference. Alderan is going to go bye bye if these keeps up. Hopefully Luke can come save you all!

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    Winfield/Taylorsville in Carroll

Yeah, I was going to write an epic post and then figured out I do not have the time for this and I have already laid out what needs to be done in this thread.

Simply put, you need to buy everything necessary to put together a complete HBAR. The actual handguard would probably be an exception.

This really isn't that big a deal if it gets passed and there will still be plenty of HBAR rifles, or at least HBAR uppers, or at least HBAR barrels on the market throughout the nation to get an HBAR or ten before the grandfather provision goes into effect, assuming there is a grandfather provision.

IF the law gets passed WITH a grandfather provision, PM me and I will tell you exactly what you need to do, or I will give you my phone number and/or e-mail so we can chat about what you need to do to prepare yourself for when the law goes into effect.

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009

What if a person has the lower and just the right barrel, but not all the other parts?

Wow, MD is really going crazy this year. Im gonna read up on all those threads, but just from taking a quick look, it looks very insane.

Love the deathstar reference. Alderan is going to go bye bye if these keeps up. Hopefully Luke can come save you all!

Last I checked, you would be on Alderan too and Luke would be saving US, not you all.

No, a lower and a mere barrel is not enough. You would have to be able to build a complete gun. So, you would need as many completed lowers as you want, and a single completed HBAR upper that you can attach to each lower.

This is what I did in 2013:

1) Buy a crap ton of stripped lowers

2) Buy a single parts kit (I bought one for each lower though)

3) Buy a pistol buffer so I can build each lower into a pistol first. If you build it into a rifle first, then you can NEVER build it into a pistol. So, pistol first.

4) Buy an upper in 5.56 to be banned configuration.

5) Mount the upper on each lower as I completed it such that I possessed the lower in banned configuration before the law took effect on October 1, 2013.

Only difference this go round is that the upper must be HBAR and those lowers can never have an upper on them that was banned on 10/1/2013.

Good luck.

FYI - I picked up my first long gun of 2019. Ordered another long gun while I was at the shop today. Have my sights set on two more long guns should the LGQL actually pass.

A. Wayne

Ultimate Member
    May 28, 2011
    If Bill passes and hbar rifle purchased after 2013 is banned, could I buy a lower now,register it as other, and buy a hbar upper,assemble and be legal?

dg5918

Mar 9, 2019
    Yeah, I was going to write an epic post and then figured out I do not have the time for this and I have already laid out what needs to be done in this thread.

Simply put, you need to buy everything necessary to put together a complete HBAR. The actual handguard would probably be an exception.

This really isn't that big a deal if it gets passed and there will still be plenty of HBAR rifles, or at least HBAR uppers, or at least HBAR barrels on the market throughout the nation to get an HBAR or ten before the grandfather provision goes into effect, assuming there is a grandfather provision.

IF the law gets passed WITH a grandfather provision, PM me and I will tell you exactly what you need to do, or I will give you my phone number and/or e-mail so we can chat about what you need to do to prepare yourself for when the law goes into effect.

Will do! Thanks!

dg5918

Mar 9, 2019
    Last I checked, you would be on Alderan too and Luke would be saving US, not you all.

No, a lower and a mere barrel is not enough. You would have to be able to build a complete gun. So, you would need as many completed lowers as you want, and a single completed HBAR upper that you can attach to each lower.

3) Buy a pistol buffer so I can build each lower into a pistol first. If you build it into a rifle first, then you can NEVER build it into a pistol. So, pistol first.

5) Mount the upper on each lower as I completed it such that I possessed the lower in banned configuration before the law took effect on October 1, 2013.

Only difference this go round is that the upper must be HBAR and those lowers can never have an upper on them that was banned on 10/1/2013.

Good luck.

FYI - I picked up my first long gun of 2019. Ordered another long gun while I was at the shop today. Have my sights set on two more long guns should the LGQL actually pass.

oh my, that's quite a process! Thanks for the information!

redeye

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Feb 13, 2019

Good luck.

Is it really necessary to put this out there?

C’mon man.....

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009

C’mon man.....

It was already put "out there" back in 2013. Weren't you around for the massive 2013 infringement that came in the form of one huge bill called Senate Bill 281 (that is a rhetorical question since I can see that you just joined)? The huge ban, HQL, and mag capacity reduction was all shoved through in one massive bill, with very little lube.

Kicken Wing

Snakes and Sparklers
    Apr 5, 2014
    WASH-CO
    As Ivey told us on the date of the hearing, he said that he already submitted an amendment to HB0612 that would change the date from 2013 to 2019. "This is not a gun confiscation scheme" in his own words. That's a lot of bullshick. I am still waiting for that to amendment to be published on the GAM website. My gut is telling me this bill is not going to make it out of committee. It was poorly written and presented however it was enough to make us jump. It was a simple copy and paste from FSA2013 and he merely added brackets to HBAR sporter rifle. At this point I am far more concerned about the 3d Printing/ no serial number/ 80 percent POS bills in both the senate and the house.

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    As Ivey told us on the date of the hearing, he said that he already submitted an amendment to HB0612 that would change the date from 2013 to 2019. "This is not a gun confiscation scheme" in his own words. That's a lot of bullshick. I am still waiting for that to amendment to be published on the GAM website. My gut is telling me this bill is not going to make it out of committee. It was poorly written and presented however it was enough to make us jump. It was a simple copy and paste from FSA2013 and he merely added brackets to HBAR sporter rifle. At this point I am far more concerned about the 3d Printing/ no serial number/ 80 percent POS bills in both the senate and the house.

Yeah, adding an Amendment isn't quite as easy as just changing the date to 2019. If they just changed the date to 2019 in that bill, it would create a buying spree that would make 2013 look inconsequential in comparison.

I am concerned with this bill, the LGQL, and the ghost gun bills. I am concerned about them passing this time around, and I am concerned about them passing in the future.

If the ghost gun bill does not pass this go around, who is going to buy 80's and complete them knowing full well that if this thing passes in the future they will be SOL with regarding to their investment?

Same goes for the HBAR issue. However, at least with those they can be sold if the HBAR bill gets passed in the future without a grandfather clause.

The LGQL isn't quite as bad if it gets passed in the future as it pertains to prior purchases. It just means I will never buy another gun in Maryland and I am trying to cross everything off my wish list before this pile of dino dung is passed.

God willing, these bills will never get passed and they will never be talked about again after this session.

Just way too much uncertainty in Maryland, when it comes to guns, taxes, development, etc.

Kicken Wing

Snakes and Sparklers
    Apr 5, 2014
    WASH-CO
    Yeah, adding an Amendment isn't quite as easy as just changing the date to 2019. If they just changed the date to 2019 in that bill, it would create a buying spree that would make 2013 look inconsequential in comparison.

I am concerned with this bill, the LGQL, and the ghost gun bills. I am concerned about them passing this time around, and I am concerned about them passing in the future.

If the ghost gun bill does not pass this go around, who is going to buy 80's and complete them knowing full well that if this thing passes in the future they will be SOL with regarding to their investment?

Same goes for the HBAR issue. However, at least with those they can be sold if the HBAR bill gets passed in the future without a grandfather clause.

The LGQL isn't quite as bad if it gets passed in the future as it pertains to prior purchases. It just means I will never buy another gun in Maryland and I am trying to cross everything off my wish list before this pile of dino dung is passed.

God willing, these bills will never get passed and they will never be talked about again after this session.

Just way too much uncertainty in Maryland, when it comes to guns, taxes, development, etc.

I am concerned about these bills popping up in the future as well. I dread the ghost gun bills the most. The uncertainty is the worst part, present or future. Since the bumpstock ban BS happened, I can easily see the same thing happening to other accessories or parts. Pistol Braces, short barrel uppers for AR pistols, ANY AR of ANY caliber, etc. It does not feel like the wave of the anti gun movement has crested yet on a national or statewide level. We are not guaranteed any safety of anything firearm related here in the state of Maryland. I don't feel like I can safely build anything without becoming a future instant felon, even though what I own is perfectly legal TODAY. It does not stop me from enjoying the hobby for the time being though. It has been a great couple of years for AR part prices. Buy it up while it's cheap.... and available!

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011

We won't see the amendment unless/until the bill is voted out of committee. An Amendment in committee (just like on the floor) has to be voted on before it is posted to the MGA website. So, once the bill is reported out of committee all associated amendments will be posted as well as the voting record.

Kicken Wing

Snakes and Sparklers
    Apr 5, 2014
    WASH-CO
    We won't see the amendment unless/until the bill is voted out of committee. An Amendment in committee (just like on the floor) has to be voted on before it is posted to the MGA website. So, once the bill is reported out of committee all associated amendments will be posted as well as the voting record.

Got it. I appreciate the clarification. I am learning as I go. I do see where some bills look like they have been moving or were voted as unfavorable. If you check out the history tab, there has clearly been some movement on certain bills. This is what I have been paying attention to. This particular bill (HB0612) does not look like anything has happened yet (voted out of committee) and we only have one more week before crossover day. It only has 20 sponsors (out of 141 members). There is no companion bill from the Senate. Even though anything can be slipped in to any bill and voted on at the last minute before sine die, I just have a hard time seeing this one cross the finish line. That is what i was more or less referring to when I said "my gut instinct". I am trying to think positive on this one.

Both ghost gun bills have a lot of sponsors in both houses. They are the ones that gives me the creeps. Not being able to build my own gun or be able to grandfather an already built gun is total BS. The serial number thing is a slippery trick that has been slid into the verbiage of these bills and only the ignorant would think is a good idea. The authors of these bills are frightened over something that has been around for ages but they paint a picture of 3D printing as being the newest evil way to make a gun without a serial number, therefore let's ban everything without a serial number with no grandfathering. Katherine "Dumais" last name should be "Dumbass".

eruby

Confederate Jew
    MDS Supporter

Will do! Thanks!
    oh my, that's quite a process! Thanks for the information!
    Perhaps go to the Introduction thread and post up about yourself, so we can know you better:

https://www.mdshooters.com/forumdisplay.php?f=119

C’mon man.....
    Hi there.

I’m J. I live in the Kensington area. Found out about this site from United Gun Shop in Rockville.

I enjoy fishing, mountain biking, kayaking, photography, and reading. I’m also an amateur machinist and welder.

Look forward to learning many things here.
    Hmmmmm.

Looking for sales on shineboxes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Sarca

Latest threads

Top Bottom