• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Cruacious

C&R Farmer
    Apr 29, 2015
    Elkton
    I've recently decided to move slightly away from my typical C&R collecting, grab an HQL (with training exemption due to pre-2013 purchase), and grab a more modern handgun for more practical practicing and use. Now, among the options I am considering are surplus M9 or M92 handguns. I have experience with them and their granddaddy, the M1951, so I know how to operate and clean them. What I would like to know from you guys is if they are worthwhile acquisitions for practining in 9mm or utilizing for home defense as a nightstand gun.

On the side, I have an HQL question if someone can answer it here.

TheOriginalMexicanBob

Ultimate Member
    Jul 2, 2017
    Sun City West, AZ
    It all comes down to dollars. The Beretta isn't my favorite handgun but I admit they're quite reliable and well made. I do have a 92FS...I bought it stupid cheap in a local auction a few years ago with the intent to flip it but it was in too nice to let go. It goes bang every time and is service accurate and would do well enough for a nightstand piece. My Sig P226 is more accurate and fits my hand better but the 92FS is a good piece.

-Z/28-

I wanna go fast
    Dec 6, 2011
    Harford Co
    I wouldn't expect to see US surplus M9s anytime soon. We'll likely give those away as "foreign aid" once the Sig transition is complete.

There are Italian surplus 92S pistols on the market, but they're a bit dated compared to the modern 92fs or M9. Mag release is at the bottom of the grip.

DutchV

Ultimate Member
    Jul 8, 2012
    Milsurps will likely have a lot more miles on them than a used civilian gun. Don't expect it to be tight or accurate compared to one with less use. Might still be acceptable, though, depending on what you get.

I say this because I've chatted with former service members who say "that gun was crap". Well yeah, that one had been passed around, unlubed, abused - just plain rode hard and put up wet. I wouldn't judge Fords by the condition of a couple New York taxis. The Beretta is a decent choice. It's hard to say how the surplus ones will look.

GolfR

Ultimate Member
    Oct 20, 2016
    Columbia MD
    After seeing the state of the ones that I saw in Afghanistan I wouldn't go anywhere near a milsurp M9. Remember that we have spent that last almost 20 years fighting in deserts. They have been shot and stored in sand and dirt and have seen a lot of turn over between users.

MattTheGunslinger

Ultimate Member
    Jul 26, 2010
    Baltimore county
    I personally wouldn't buy a milsurp M9. Too many horror stories from folks who used and abused them the last few decades. I would however gladly buy a new or used civilian M9/92FS. I owned two, years ago and regret selling them. Very accurate and reliable. Just get good mags like Beretta OEM or Mecgar. Stay away from the parkerized GI mags.

Furious George

May 10, 2010
    I doubt you will ever see surplus military M9's released to the commercial market but Police trade ins are the new surplus.

About 2 years ago I bought a near mint 92S and I am very happy with it.

The build quality is a cut above what comes out today. It took a lot of restraint to keep from buying another one at a gun show last month just because it too was in near mint condition and only $320 OTD.

The sights on the 92S are tiny.

Yes, the mag release button is in a strange place but the mag holds 15 rounds. If you need more than one magazine, you have seriously miscalculated your situation.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    J_Gunslinger

Latest threads

Top Bottom