• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Glock43

Oct 23, 2017
    Howdy all,

So I'm PCS-ing to MD soon, but I have a M&P Sport II. I read through some threads here and got pretty confused (which is apparently common with MD gun laws) and so I called up some MD gun shops. Was informed all I need to do is buy an HBAR STAMPED barrel.
    Great! Thought I would need to sell it or modify it, but just need a new barrel. However,

Shopping for HBARs is a nightmare. There are barrels between 80 and 600. I have no idea about the particulars of why some are so expensive and others are so cheap, and there is very little info online. Does anybody know of an fact sheets or advice in purchasing a good HBAR?

-G43

Glock43

Oct 23, 2017
    Doesnt need "hbar" stamped on the barrel,as long as you have proper documentation stating it is an "hbar" that is sufficient enough and you are GTG.

Google is your friend ;)

So- I did google but this forum was one of the few places that was have the argument/discussion as to whether it was necessary- however 2/2 gun shops in MD I caled said it needed to be stamped...

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    The price varies so much because the bbls vary so much
    Some are very high quality, very accurate , while some are generic and sub-generic , and everything inbetween.

Unless you are equipped to change bbls yourself, it may be easier and cheaper to buy a complete upper.

Palmetto State Armoury ( PSA) frequently has great sale prices . Industry Partners( IP) Engage Armament , and Precision Armament can supply bbls of whatever specifation, or build complete uppers to your specifications.

Furious George

May 10, 2010
    Advertised as heavy profile, good to go. I believe they are stamped too but don't quote me on that.

http://www.del-ton.com/DTI_Del_Ton_Inc_AR_15_16_Heavy_Carbine_1x9_CL_p/bl1044.htm

This is a solid answer here.

How long do you plan to live in MD?

If it is only going to be a few years you can get a Del Ton 16 in. Heavy BBL with sight tower for less than $200. I would skip the chrome lining and go with the $150 version. Think of it as a disposable wear part.

Buy the barrel, buy parts for the front sight, install the bbl (pretty easy to do and worth learning to do) and shoot the living Pi$$ out of it. When you depart MD, you can leave the burned out tube by the side of the road.

While complete M4 profile uppers can be had for ~$250, cheap complete HBAR uppers tend to be pricier.

GoldGunsGirls

May 30, 2012
    Rockville
    Don't chop up your M&P and kill the resale value. Leave it as is. Instead, buy a complete new 5.56 upper with a heavy barrel. You can get a decent upper from $250 (bottom of the barrel) to $350 (good value for money) to $650ish (rock solid and ready to go to war) to $1000+ (probably rock solid, but you're probably paying something for the name at that point). As soon as you have an upper with an HBAR, you are allowed to possess your old, non-HBAR upper in MD as long as you never mount it on your lower while within MD borders. It can sit in the safe (or other secure, safe storage) all by itself and just hang out. If you go to PA or WV to shoot, as soon as you're out of MD, you can stick it right back on. Just make sure you have your HBAR upper on the rifle at all times while in MD.

In terms of HBAR, the rules are vague. Currently, the accepted options are either the barrel itself must be stamped with the "HBAR" stamp... OR the barrel/upper must be advertised as "Heavy" or "HBAR" profile by the manufacturer. For instance, Colt calls all their SOCOM barrels "heavy profile" so they are kosher. However, BCM calls all their SOCOM barrels "medium" - not kosher. Both barrels are identical in profile and shape. Make sense yet? Welcome to Maryland! :)

Full disclosure: I have a Colt upper for sale here in the Classifieds, but if you're on a budget, it might not be right for you.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    The price varies so much because the bbls vary so much
    Some are very high quality, very accurate , while some are generic and sub-generic , and everything inbetween.

Unless you are equipped to change bbls yourself, it may be easier and cheaper to buy a complete upper.

Palmetto State Armoury ( PSA) frequently has great sale prices . Industry Partners( IP) Engage Armament , and Precision Armament can supply bbls of whatever specifation, or build complete uppers to your specifications.

This is what I would do. Buy a complete HBAR upper, install on rifle, keep original upper. If you go out of state to shoot, swap to the original to shoot, just swap back before getting back to MD.

Anderson also has some great sales on complete uppers at times.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    This is what I would do. Buy a complete HBAR upper, install on rifle, keep original upper. If you go out of state to shoot, swap to the original to shoot, just swap back before getting back to MD.

Anderson also has some great sales on complete uppers at times.

Constructive intent. Unlikely to ever get hit with it, but if you don’t own a lower that the non-HBAR upper can be legally mounted on, legally you could be guilty of constructive intent. Get pulled over driving back in to the state shooting with that non-HBAR upper and the trooper decides to search your vehicle for reasons (they can be manufacturered reasons) and finds it, you could be up a creek.

You’d want to leave that upper out of the state. Or the barrel
    If you replace just the barrel.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Andre

Latest threads

Top Bottom