• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Oct 18, 2017
    MOCO-nistan
    Thanks to adopting our boy Momma bear wants a rifle for home defense. Decided on the lightweight 300BLK, suppressed, 7” Honey Badger from Q. So as I understand the law as of today’s interpretation I’ll need to apply for a stamp. The rifle and silencer both have the same serial number so I’m assuming that means one stamp. However that’s getting ahead of myself because since I live in the not so great state of Maryland I’m not even sure the Honey Badger is legal. The great folk at Q measured it from handrail to fully extended stock and it’s 29”. YET this is the Republik of Marylanistand so before I drop any $ I want to make sure. Gun shops in the area say "yeah...I think it’ll be ok...” however that is less than encouraging or reassuring because the burden falls on me.

Any recommendations on what to do? Was also looking into the Sig MCX pistol however weight is a consideration.

Alea Jacta Est

Extinguished member
    MDS Supporter
    Thanks to adopting our boy Momma bear wants a rifle for home defense. Decided on the lightweight 300BLK, suppressed, 7” Honey Badger from Q. So as I understand the law as of today’s interpretation I’ll need to apply for a stamp. The rifle and silencer both have the same serial number so I’m assuming that means one stamp. However that’s getting ahead of myself because since I live in the not so great state of Maryland I’m not even sure the Honey Badger is legal. The great folk at Q measured it from handrail to fully extended stock and it’s 29”. YET this is the Republik of Marylanistand so before I drop any $ I want to make sure. Gun shops in the area say "yeah...I think it’ll be ok...” however that is less than encouraging or reassuring because the burden falls on me.

Any recommendations on what to do? Was also looking into the Sig MCX pistol however weight is a consideration.
    Hello. Welcome.

First post not what we are used to.

I suggest you head on over to the Introductions thread and give that a whirl...

Good luck.

danb

dont be a dumbass
    Feb 24, 2013
    google is your friend, I am not.
    so, a rifle requiring two one or two tax stamps, a whole lot of MD paperwork possibly including the HQL, and a multi-month wait, is going to be your first rifle for home defense??

smh.

iH8DemLibz

When All Else Fails.
    Apr 1, 2013
    Libtardistan
    There is a new provision in the law that states all dwellings are to be considered home invasion free while waiting on ATF tax stamps and MSP not disapproved paperwork.

Oct 18, 2017
    MOCO-nistan
    Thanks. I’ll go to the Intro page

No the Q won’t be our first, just the first rifle. She’s getting the Walther PPQ and if all goes well I’m getting the VEPR12 shotgun before the end of the year.

pbharvey

Habitual Testifier
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    Buy a Beretta CX4 Storm for her to use while you're waiting for ATF approval.
    After a year she'll want to keep the ergo friendly pistol caliber carbine and the Honey Badger will be all yours.
    Seriously the Storm is a great little rifle. Load it up with 30 Gold Dots and no one will bother momma bear.

-Z/28-

I wanna go fast
    Dec 6, 2011
    Harford Co
    For what that rifle costs and the headache that comes with it, there are better options. If you want a .300blk SBR I would recommend building an AR15 pistol in .300blk and then applying for a stamp to SBR it. That way you have a gun you can use and train with right away and when the stamp comes you can add the stock.

Personally I would ask yourself if you really need an SBR. There's a lot of hassle that comes with that stamp. There are a number of pistol caliber carbines that are cash and carry in Maryland which are still light weight and handy. Keltec Sub2k comes to mind, or a 9mm AR.

Rack&Roll

R.I.P
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 23, 2013
    Bunkerville, MD
    After a year she'll want to keep the ergo friendly pistol caliber carbine and the Honey Badger will be all yours.
    Seriously the Storm is a great little rifle. Load it up with 30 Gold Dots and no one will bother momma bear.

Excellent recommendation.

Oct 18, 2017
    MOCO-nistan
    Thanks. The HiPoint was recommended but wasn’t too sure. The Storm has been mentioned twice before so I’ll definitely give it a look at Hickok45’s YouTube page. :D

Ranchero50

Ultimate Member
    Dec 15, 2012
    Hagerstown MD
    I'd go for a Hi point Carbine before the storm or a SBR for home defense just because if you use it, you'll most likely lose it until the legal system coughs it back up.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    For what that rifle costs and the headache that comes with it, there are better options. If you want a .300blk SBR I would recommend building an AR15 pistol in .300blk and then applying for a stamp to SBR it. That way you have a gun you can use and train with right away and when the stamp comes you can add the stock.

Personally I would ask yourself if you really need an SBR. There's a lot of hassle that comes with that stamp. There are a number of pistol caliber carbines that are cash and carry in Maryland which are still light weight and handy. Keltec Sub2k comes to mind, or a 9mm AR.

I'm partial to this part. :thumbsup:

Oct 18, 2017
    MOCO-nistan
    Never considered that path. Is it difficult? What’s entailed in building your own?

Personally I would ask yourself if you really need an SBR. There's a lot of hassle that comes with that stamp.
    What kind of hassle? More than acquiring a suppressor?

rseymorejr

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 28, 2011
    Harford County
    I don't think I'd use a class 3 gun for home defense. If, God forbid, you ever had to use it the police will probably take it until everything is sorted out and then you jump through the hoops to try and get it returned. I wouldn't want to risk that, I'd use something that I could replace fairly easy if I had to.

pbharvey

Habitual Testifier
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    Before building your own home defense gun ask yourself if you can build a more reliable gun than a major gun manufacturer.

Don't overcomplicate your home defense.
    Pick something stone cold reliable and intuitively simple to make ready and operate.

gwchem

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 18, 2014
    SoMD
    Why are people so worried about the cost of the gun used for defense? If i needed to use one, and it worked, I'd gladly give up a $5000 rifle. My life is worth wayyyyy more than that.

danb

dont be a dumbass
    Feb 24, 2013
    google is your friend, I am not.
    Why are people so worried about the cost of the gun used for defense? If i needed to use one, and it worked, I'd gladly give up a $5000 rifle. My life is worth wayyyyy more than that.

A $500 revolver or even Sub-2K rifle stops a threat the same as a $5000 SBR for which you also paid $400 in stamp taxes and waited 6 months. In fact, you can get 3 sub-2Ks, plus a safe to put them in, with no wait, and you will have 2 backup guns while the police are holding your third as evidence for 2 years. And, you will have chang leftover for a safe Queen (or King).

gwchem

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 18, 2014
    SoMD
    A $500 revolver or even Sub-2K rifle stops a threat the same as a $5000 SBR for which you also paid $400 in stamp taxes and waited 6 months. In fact, you can get 3 sub-2Ks, plus a safe to put them in, with no wait, and you will have 2 backup guns while the police are holding your third as evidence for 2 years. And, you will have chang leftover for a safe Queen (or King).

But in a life or death situation, which every shooting should be, I want the best. I want the world's most accurate, easy to use, confidence inspiring gun, and I'll gladly pay for both the measureable and intangible qualities in that gun.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Skarface

Latest threads

Top Bottom