MSP now considers SBR's w/req min 29" OA length as Pistols? WTH?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jollymon

Dec 6, 2016
    Now in Tennessee ,
    At one point MSP had stated that SBR's SBS's had to be on the Handgun Rooster list , Hand Roster Board challenged that and MSP backed off .
    Don't think anyone up there has a clue, after all these cop's not real interested in guns just doing the job assigned to them and planning on a retirement,so don't rock the boat.

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    I can’t quote it but it excepted SBRs from the requirement because SBR’s are defined as a handgun under MD statute

It created an exemption for SBR’s it but just for the Roster. They are still defined as handguns because of barrel length

Last edited:

danb

dont be a dumbass
    Feb 24, 2013
    google is your friend, I am not.
    I can’t quote it but it excepted SBRs from the requirement because SBR’s are defined as a handgun under ZMD statute

It created an exemption for SBR’s it but just for the Roster. They are still defined as handguns because of barrel length

I missed which bill this was and do not recall reading it. The guidance is from 2014. I am wondering if, per the Law of Unintended Consequences, some other problem was crated (or removed) when the MGA removed the SBR requirement- and this is why we have not seen updated guidance.

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    I bought an Engage lower to build an SBR Andy Raymond had to drive the lower over to the Roster Board to get it on the Roster. The law was changed sometime after that. I even think it was huge anti Dumais who introduced it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    So my factory SBR isn't on the Handgun Roster either. The more I think about it Maryland's ridiculous and inconsistent registration scheme is an incentive to build a 24" ghost gun pistol and just bypass all the illogical crap!

Haven't read the rest of the thread, but that was the purpose of Del. Dumais's bill to remove SBRs from the requirement to be added to the roster. After FSA2013, every SBR had to be on the roster and the roster board got pretty wore out reviewing everyone.

As for the SBR needing an HQL, yep, been that way since Oct 1, 2013.

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011

DC-W

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 23, 2013
    ️‍

I didn't realize just how far out of the way it goes to say that this pertains only to the Roster. Is this being interpreted in a way that creates one definition of a handgun for them, and another in general?

FOR the purpose of altering the definition of handgun for purposes of provisions relating to the Handgun Roster Board to exclude certain firearms from the definition; and generally relating to the Handgun Roster Board.

danb

dont be a dumbass
    Feb 24, 2013
    google is your friend, I am not.
    Funny how they can be precise and clean up the statute with surgical precision when they want to be, but vague elsewhere. It's almost like they want to be as vague and confusing as possible.

DC-W

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 23, 2013
    ️‍
    Funny how they can be precise and clean up the statute with surgical precision when they want to be, but vague elsewhere. It's almost like they want to be as vague and confusing as possible.

No. Way.
    Shut the front door.

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    Just heard back from Engage. It is correct to say that a SBR need not be on the roster to be sold in MD.

I am glad my memory isn't failing (yet)

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    I can understand the want if an SBR. That said, with current ATF rulings on braces, might as well go with a braced pistol. No length limitations. Sure, not as comfortable as an SBR.

Gryphon

inveniam viam aut faciam
    Patriot Picket
    Mar 8, 2013
    just for kicks, decided to check my 77r status for the SBR and it's under "Second Review", although not sure why as it's on the handgun roster and is not banned. Sheer pettiness is my guess

My best guess is someone is trying to confirm your pistol meets the minimum 29" overall length for rifles.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Sarca

Latest threads

Top Bottom