• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    Shooting someone is easy and it's what everyone trains for. NOT shooting someone is what takes cool calm discipline in the heat of the moment. God grant everyone here the patience and skill if they should have one of these moments.

Who are you and what did you do with Blaster to gain control of his account???

CrazySanMan

2013'er
    Mar 4, 2013
    Colorful Colorado
    Why is it that in Maryland you cannot use deadly force to protect property in your house, you can only use it to protect yourself but you are basically only given a CCW to protect business-owned property and not yourself on the streets?

Makes no sense.

ADR

Ultimate Member
    Aug 17, 2011
    We can raise the bar here with regard to how we interact with one another, for the purposes of promoting discussion. We only need to remain calm, cool, and collected when it comes to discussing ideas. When adults act like children, I think it's ok to address the behavior (and separate it from the person). What are your thoughts?

My thoughts are that you're coming off as being passive-aggressive and trying to hide it under the guise of "let's all be better people" but you ultimately fail because you always ending up showing your true intent by saying something like "When adults act like children" in your above quote.

You don't want a "discussion", you want to control a discussion and that's two totally different things.

Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates
    Why is it that in Maryland you cannot use deadly force to protect property in your house, you can only use it to protect yourself but you are basically only given a CCW to protect business-owned property and not yourself on the streets?

Makes no sense.

Making no sense is a requirement in MD law

Steyr40

Mar 3, 2012
    AA County

Makes no sense.

Ya' know... I never thought of it that way. That makes absolutely no sense. I guess you have to have a home office and pray they're stealing your fax machine.

Steyr40

Mar 3, 2012
    AA County
    Shooting someone is easy and it's what everyone trains for. NOT shooting someone is what takes cool calm discipline in the heat of the moment. God grant everyone here the patience and skill if they should have one of these moments.

I like to think we train for the NOT shooting someone part too. Especially those with family members living with them.

PO2012

Oct 24, 2013
    With all these great answers for different scenarios, I still don't see any "common sense" coming from the Maryland law side. If I unexpectedly walk into my home as it is being robbed all the power seems to belong to the criminal. It won't take long for criminals to learn that if they just stop what they're doing, like "My bad. Sorry about the broken window", and peacefully leave they won't face any immediate consequences. And if you, the homeowner, prevents them from leaving you can be charged with kidnapping. That is insane.

As a private citizen, you are permitted to make an arrest for any felony or when you observe a misdemeanor being committed and that misdemeanor involves a breach of the peace. You may use necessary force to effect such arrests. As long as the force is reasonable and intended to subdue and is not inflicted as punishment you are in compliance with the law.

I have had several homeowners capture burglars and then call 911. We come to the house, conduct our investigation and take the burglar off their hands and off to jail. I have never charged a private citizen with assaulting a criminal suspect or seen such a thing occur and I have responded to many self defense and citizen arrest incidents to include justifiable homicides.

If you're going to make a citizen's arrest, be sure you thoroughly understand the law, make sure you have a non-lethal weapon available, and above all, use discretion. Don't be reckless. At the same time, you are NOT required to allow yourself to be victimized.

redeemed.man

Ultimate Member
    Apr 29, 2013
    HoCo
    Here we go again. Re-read what I posted, slowly. Now look at your response. Why bring up another thread? There's a pattern to your behavior.
    Re-read what I posted even more slowly. Anyone paying attention can see your games. Your comment was intended to point to the other thread, no one is foolish enough to believe otherwise. Give it a rest. Don't comment on my posts if you can't let the nurse go. There is a pattern to your behavior, you might need to remove your head from its current Iocation to see it.

redeemed.man

Ultimate Member
    Apr 29, 2013
    HoCo
    We can raise the bar here with regard to how we interact with one another, for the purposes of promoting discussion. We only need to remain calm, cool, and collected when it comes to discussing ideas. When adults act like children, I think it's ok to address the behavior (and separate it from the person). What are your thoughts?
    It's also okay to call out the little prick in the back of the class room antagonizing the other children, wouldn't you agree?

Doobie

Ultimate Member
    Jan 23, 2013
    Earth
    I'm surprised Maryland doesn't require all locks on doors and windows to be removed so as to make it even easier for criminals:mad54:
    I HATE this state and regret ever moving here.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013

Not exactly. In MD, you are, by law, immune from a CIVIL case, sand ONLY if you did not commit a crime in the act.

From your link:

the Governor signed into law a modified “Castle Doctrine” bill

This new law will provide civil immunity for a person defending their dwelling or place of business. This immunity provides that the person is not liable for damages for a personal injury or death of an individual when protecting yourself in your home. Maryland added the proviso that the doctrine only applies as long as the persons defending them selves are not convicted of a crime related to the act for which the immunity is being sought.

So it you can be charged and prosecuted for use of deadly force INSIDE your home. And in that case, you can then be sued by the invader or their family.

MikeTF

Ultimate Member
    Re-read what I posted even more slowly. Anyone paying attention can see your games. Your comment was intended to point to the other thread, no one is foolish enough to believe otherwise. Give it a rest. Don't comment on my posts if you can't let the nurse go. There is a pattern to your behavior, you might need to remove your head from its current Iocation to see it.

It's also okay to call out the little prick in the back of the class room antagonizing the other children, wouldn't you agree?
    What does it sound like to you (or others)?

redeemed.man

Ultimate Member
    Apr 29, 2013
    HoCo
    What does it sound like to you (or others)?
    It sounds exactly as intended. Your approval is not desired or required.

Your constant condescension disguised as respectful communication is transparent to anyone paying attention and passive aggressive. I'd rather just be overt.

TheRussianNightmare

Sep 17, 2012
    I don't disagree at all regarding a threat. However, this is when the threat must be articulated.

There are two laws of nature that relate to this thread:

1. Intruders ALWAYS pick up a knife in the kitchen. ALWAYS.

2. Dead men tell no tales. There will be one side to this story; YOURS.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Ababe1120

Latest threads

Top Bottom