• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Xshot

Ultimate Member
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 14, 2013
    Pasadena, MD
    Looking to go on a hog hunt next fall (2018). It would be my first. I want to be able to drive there so VA, WV, NC, SC, GA would pretty much be where I’m aiming for. Any recommendations for this? I hunted years ago but haven’t been in a while. A coworker and I were tossing the idea around and this is pretty much what we landed on.

MDS Think Tank- go!

Chris

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Jun 21, 2005
    Cecil Co, Maryland
    Did Tioga 25+ years ago-was not a happy camper. At the time the "hunting area" was maybe 2 acres at best. Pigs small/med were running around in the woods. Wendy shot a med size one. I was told they had long horn rams also, I said I'll shoot one of them if we see one (not knowing at the time I was in a two acres wooded lot). All of a sudden appeared three sheep on the hill. I took aim and the biggest one. Long story short turns out in was a domestic ram with hay still on it's head from eating still with ear tags. All in all it was the worst time the two of us have ever had "hunting". We will never do a "canned" hunt again. Spend the money, time and travel to get a fair chase hunt, in the long run you will be happier or just call the butcher and order a pig. IMHO Chris

Xshot

Ultimate Member
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 14, 2013
    Pasadena, MD
    Did Tioga 25+ years ago-was not a happy camper. At the time the "hunting area" was maybe 2 acres at best. Pigs small/med were running around in the woods. Wendy shot a med size one. I was told they had long horn rams also, I said I'll shoot one of them if we see one (not knowing at the time I was in a two acres wooded lot). All of a sudden appeared three sheep on the hill. I took aim and the biggest one. Long story short turns out in was a domestic ram with hay still on it's head from eating still with ear tags. All in all it was the worst time the two of us have ever had "hunting". We will never do a "canned" hunt again. Spend the money, time and travel to get a fair chase hunt, in the long run you will be happier or just call the butcher and order a pig. IMHO Chris

Oh man. That sounds pretty bad. That place looked good online and wasn’t priced too bad either. Too good to be true obviously.

For those of you with experience doing this, where did you do it?

engineerbrian

JMB fan club
    Sep 3, 2010
    Fredneck
    Oh man. That sounds pretty bad. That place looked good online and wasn’t priced too bad either. Too good to be true obviously.

For those of you with experience doing this, where did you do it?

I've done two canned hunts at Tioga. Its basically a guys weekend where you just happen to shoot a boar. I belive they are up to a several hundred acres now, but its still fish in a barrel.

Its a fun time, the guides are great and they have a new lodge. I would recommend them, you just have to realize that you are not "hunting"

provvv

Jan 29, 2017
    Baltimore County
    I don't know too much about hunting but I went to the Tioga website, just because it's so close to MD. I noticed the rate for a Turkey was $600 https://www.tiogaboarhunting.com/rates/

Is that expensive? When I lived in RI, I was a member of a gun club that had 60+ acres for hunting, and I would always see wild turkeys up there...I didn't realize how valuable they could be haha

kstone803

Official Meat Getter
    Feb 25, 2009
    Ltown in the SMC
    I shot mine in VA at a place called Rose Hill. True wild boars and night hunts from stands. They don't offer hog hunts anymore according to their website. It's mainly a pheasant/upland farm.

platoonDaddy

Ultimate Member
    Jun 30, 2011
    SouthOfBalto
    PlatoonDaddy,

Have you ever been there before? If so, any comments?

Rmocarsky

Haven't, but going on recommendations. Was at a Balto RMEF Banquet and two guys at the table just returned from a hunt. They just raved about the place and the size of the hogs they got.

Called the guy and for sure he is a country boy, very entertaining.

BigSteve57

Ultimate Member
    Feb 14, 2011
    We've booked a trip to Spartan Hunting Preserve in November. They're located in Tennessee which is not on your list of states but distance-wise might be comparable.

We met them at the Harrisburg show this past February and found them to be very nice folks.
    REF:
    http://boarhuntingtn.com/

EDIT: haven't been there before - Nov trip will be our first time.

Last edited:

mopar92

Official MDS Court Jester
    May 5, 2011
    Taneytown

He tagged you, you're it. Now he didn't say no tagbacks so you can tag him back.You can tag someone else if you want but you can't tag me cause I'm not playing.

ETA: I can't believe you never played tag as a kid. Must've been homeskooled.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Skarface

Latest threads

Top Bottom