• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    There were signs throughout the store saying firearms and ammo are not being discounted.
    Kinda ruined the trip for me. YMMV.

They must have a wholesale buyer then, or just stupid.
    Wait, They were stupid to begin with.

Rack&Roll

R.I.P
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 23, 2013
    Bunkerville, MD
    Camping World bought the contents. That distress buyer who has a show on CNBC, Marcus Lemonis, bought the name, trademarks and store leases and says Gander Mountain will re-open.

Oh sure, it will. There will be lines around the block… Oh no, wait, probably not.

adit

ReMember
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 20, 2013
    DE
    Camping World bought the contents. That distress buyer who has a show on CNBC, Marcus Lemonis, bought the name, trademarks and store leases and says Gander Mountain will re-open.

Oh sure, it will. There will be lines around the block… Oh no, wait, probably not.

Almost.

Marcus is the CEO of Camping World. A liquidator bought the contents. Camping World bought the IP and the store leases.

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    I might ask, how is "camping supplies" a market that is needed to be served in the Salisbury area?

adit

ReMember
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 20, 2013
    DE
    There's no place to buy anything hardly around there except Walmart, and lots of places to camp.

There were rumors of a Bass Pro (HD/WM shopping center on 50) in the Berlin area a few years ago. I don't know if Gander closing hurts or helps that rumor. I'd just wish they'd move it a few miles north into DE. It would be better for everyone.

DaemonAssassin

Why should we Free BSD?
    Jun 14, 2012
    Political refugee in WV
    When they are selling an AR15 tool for 70 bucks, that I can find at a LGS for 40 bucks and online for 27 bucks + shipping, that kind of said enough to me about the place. I also saw Pelican cases going for above MSRP, ammo that was more expensive than Cabela's, absolutely zero in the way of mags, and firearm prices that made me cringe. Not to mention the "FPO" that was asking about the thread pattern on AR15's, so he could use a "solvent trap"...

I was at the GM in Winchester VA the day before Thanksgiving 2016, and the place was totally barren at 6pm, except for the "FPO", myself, and a friend. There were a total of 4 employees that I saw, during the 45 minutes I was in there with my friend.

Jumpmaster!

Aug 28, 2014
    A couple of years ago, I got a 1943 Swiss K31 at the Salisbury store on sale for $300. Even then, that was a good price but everything else that I saw was fairly expensive.

EL1227

R.I.P.
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 14, 2010
    Are online sales closed ? I have a $10 gift card to use BEFORE 5/18, but I don't want to spend more than $10 in gas and tolls to drive to Salisbury.

MunkMaster

Aug 9, 2013
    Eastern Shore
    Camping world is going to re open certain stores and they are re-branding it to "Gander Outdoors". They are even having an online contest to make the new logo and the winner gets 25k

traveller

The one with two L
    Nov 26, 2010
    variable
    They must have a wholesale buyer then, or just stupid.
    Wait, They were stupid to begin with.

I chatted with the shift manager at one of their stores. They had a banner 'store closing' outside, and except for the usual 30% rebates on winter clothing they had nothing of interest. Firearms were discounted a whopping 5% off their moon prices. According to the manager, all the inventory in the stores was sold to a liquidator, whatever you buy at the store right now is sold by the liquidator. A couple of momths from now, 76 of their stores will 're-open' as 'Outdoor World' with new 'sales' to celebrate that occasion.
    This is all no different from the Persian rug business.

Jim12

Let Freedom Ring
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 30, 2013
    Received this e-mail:

"An Important Message to Gander Mtn. Customers from Marcus Lemonis, CEO of Camping World & Good Sam.

We are delighted to announce that Gander Mtn. is now part of the Camping World & Good Sam family following Camping World’s successful bid for certain Gander Mtn. assets in a bankruptcy auction in April. Camping World & Good Sam is the nation’s largest network of RV-centric retail locations and the only provider of a comprehensive portfolio of services, protection plans, products, and resources for the outdoor enthusiast. At Camping World & Good Sam, we place a high value on customer satisfaction and our goal is to keep as many as 70 or more Gander Mtn. stores open following the bankruptcy liquidation process. Following the liquidation process, you’ll also see a fresh release of GanderMountain.com. By leveraging Camping World & Good Sam’s scale, operating infrastructure, and product expertise, we will be able to provide new products and services to the Gander Mtn. customer. We are very excited for the next chapter of Gander Mtn. as part of the Camping World & Good Sam family of companies.

As part of the transaction, ownership of the Gander Mtn.’s customer database is being transferred to a Camping World & Good Sam subsidiary that will operate the new business. Camping World & Good Sam will continue to abide by the existing Gander Mtn. privacy policy. In the event that there are any significant changes to the applicable privacy practices in the future, you will have an opportunity to decide whether to opt out of or accept such changes before they are implemented.

We hope you’re as excited as we are about this new adventure and we look forward to earning your business!

Marcus Lemonis,

CEO of Camping World & Good Sam."

bigjohn

Ultimate Member
    Jun 29, 2007
    A few weeks before they announced their closing, I stopped and priced a set of reloading dies. $39.99. After they announced their closing, I stopped to get 10% off that price. Guess what, they raised the price to $54.99 then discounted it the 10%. Never again

Bisleyfan44

Ultimate Member
    Jan 11, 2008
    Wicomico
    A few weeks before they announced their closing, I stopped and priced a set of reloading dies. $39.99. After they announced their closing, I stopped to get 10% off that price. Guess what, they raised the price to $54.99 then discounted it the 10%. Never again

Good to see you again John. Hope all is well with you. Shane

EL1227

R.I.P.
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 14, 2010

Gander Outdoors new CEO criticizes company’s existing gun inventory
    “I spent a day talking to a number of store managers and customers who have said that the current most recent management at Gander got really away from its core customer and really bet a $100 million on guns and was wrong,”
    But this quote was cherry-picked. He went on to say ...
    “Well, we are going to have a selection of handguns and shotguns that we believe serve the need of the market and have margins that are commensurate with our expectations,”
    Interesting read ... location, location, location, and Salisbury wasn't one of them.
    He added, “Terrible, terrible inventory, terrible overhead, and candidly they didn’t need 160 stores.”

AKbythebay

Ultimate Member
    Was never a huge fan of Gander Mtn but in all honesty it was about the only place to go (other than Walmart) for outdoors and shooting supplies. A Cabelas or a Bass Pro right in that booming area north of the mall on 13 would do really well in my opinion. The shore is such a huge area for hunting and fishing. The consumers are there but Gander Mtn had a very limited selection and terrible prices for the most part.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    LikeThatHendrix

Latest threads

Top Bottom