What happened to that gunshow vendor....?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • kingfish

Jan 15, 2008
    ....the gentleman that frequented MD and PA shows for many years, he had plenty of tables and sold mainly cleaning supplies like brushes etc, he had a grey beard and wore glasses ( sort of reminded me of a college professor). Very friendly guy, worked typically with a woman who appeared to be his wife. I used to buy plenty of my cleaning supplies from him but I've noticed he hasn't been at the gun shows for quite a while. Does anyone know what happened to them? Unfortunately I don't know his name

iH8DemLibz

When All Else Fails.
    Apr 1, 2013
    Libtardistan
    ....the gentleman that frequented MD and PA shows for many years, he had plenty of tables and sold mainly cleaning supplies like brushes etc, he had a grey beard and wore glasses ( sort of reminded me of a college professor). Very friendly guy, worked typically with a woman who appeared to be his wife. I used to buy plenty of my cleaning supplies from him but I've noticed he hasn't been at the gun shows for quite a while. Does anyone know what happened to them? Unfortunately I don't know his name

I know who you mean. Always very helpful. And he knew what he had on his tables.

Had lots of slings and other stuff too.

They were getting up there in age. Maybe they gave up the ghost with everyone buying off the internet.

I believe his name was John.

Sundazes

Throbbing Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 13, 2006
    Arkham
    You are talking about Tophat. From what i heard, he retired and sold his business to some lady who still does the shows. She was at the Timonium show last weekend.

kingfish

Jan 15, 2008
    No, not top hat. This gentlemans tables usually formed a large rectangle around himself. He used to be positioned at the Frederick show in the main building near the left wall, as you enter

offthepaper

Ultimate Member
    Sep 7, 2007
    Harford County
    It's not Tophat.
    I do believe his name is John. I've bought tons of accessories and mags from him over the years. He stopped selling ammo about 10-15 years ago, said he was getting too old to keep loading and unloading for each show. Always friendly.

iH8DemLibz

When All Else Fails.
    Apr 1, 2013
    Libtardistan
    Top Hat was the dude that always sat in an elevated position. Back left corner at Timonium.

Dutifully overlooking his wares. Lots of targets and old, hard to find, parts.

I believe his name was Skip.

PS: I really miss the old shows of twenty years ago.

bbrown

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 10, 2009
    MD
    No, not top hat. This gentlemans tables usually formed a large rectangle around himself. He used to be positioned at the Frederick show in the main building near the left wall, as you enter

That's John and his wife. They had some sort of tiff with the Silverado management several years and don't do those shows any more. He's regularly at the Chantilly show, however, as well as most PA shows.

Very nice couple with good merchandise.

kingfish

Jan 15, 2008
    I was at a gun show in montgomery county, about 20 years ago, with a friend of mine. Friend had a bag with about three or four boxes of 9 mm which he had previously purchased elsewhere. he set his bag on John's table as he was looking for something to buy. My friend forgot his bag On johns table and we left the show. A couple weeks later we went to another gun show and John recognized my buddy, pulled out his bag of ammo and told him "hey you forgot this on my table at a previous show". I thought that was pretty nice of him so ever since, I always buy my cleaning supplies from him.

j_h_smith

Ultimate Member
    Jul 28, 2007
    I was at a gun show in montgomery county, about 20 years ago, with a friend of mine. Friend had a bag with about three or four boxes of 9 mm which he had previously purchased elsewhere. he set his bag on John's table as he was looking for something to buy. My friend forgot his bag On johns table and we left the show. A couple weeks later we went to another gun show and John recognized my buddy, pulled out his bag of ammo and told him "hey you forgot this on my table at a previous show". I thought that was pretty nice of him so ever since, I always buy my cleaning supplies from him.

They were always good to me. Both of them are down to earth, good people. I would buy my chemicals from them, even if I could get them cheaper somewhere else.

Art3

Eqinsu Ocha
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 30, 2015
    Harford County
    I know the guy you mean. I'm trying to think of the last time I'm sure I saw him at a show...but, sadly, I just can't remember for sure. He was almost as much of a fixture at the shows from when I was a kid as Tophat.

Incidentally, Tophat himself has usually been at Oaks. He lives in New Jersey (which seems insane for a gun show vendor) and a couple of years ago mentioned that it was harder for him to come all the way to MD shows. I believe the woman with his stuff is a family member. It is good to see him in the flesh (although he now sports an Uncle Sam style tophat), and I always make sure I buy something from him.

rico903

Ultimate Member
    May 2, 2011
    Yes, his name is John. I don't remember his wife's name. They got run out by the promoter that does the Timonium show and other shows because the promoter had a buddy that does the same thing, but not very well.

Alphabrew

Binary male Lesbian
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 27, 2013
    Woodbine
    Is OP talking about the guy who had the booth with a woman (his wife?) and they had all sorts of neato stuff like Romanian AK furniture, gas masks, cleaning stuff, backpacks, etc? He never had any guns, but had a sorts of cool stuff. I think I got several Romanian bayonets and a bunch of stainless 1911 mags for my wife from them. He was a good vendor, and I have not seen him in a year or two. Come back!!

JohnnyE

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 18, 2013
    MoCo
    Top Hat is Skip. For years he was at Chantilly, Frederick, Oaks, and so forth. IIRC, correctly, he retired and disappeared for several years, then family issues arose and he got back in the business. I spoke with him at an Oaks, PA show (outside of Philly) a year or so ago, and he said he abandoned Chantilly, and was sticking to Oaks and other shows which, I presumed, were closer to home for him. I get up to Oaks often, as recently as late 2016, and always manage to buy something from him.

kingfish

Jan 15, 2008
    Yes, his name is John. I don't remember his wife's name. They got run out by the promoter that does the Timonium show and other shows because the promoter had a buddy that does the same thing, but not very well.

Which "buddy" is that? The guy who took johns space at the Frederick show? If so, that guy annoys the hell out of me and sells a good amount of Chinese junk

lee2

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Oct 8, 2007

His wife's name is jerri. He didn't get run out of any show. The are several venders who sell the same stuff. Appalachian promotions run the timonium show.

lee2

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Oct 8, 2007
    They stopped doing the Maryland shows because of the magazine limit, most of their sales where of standard capacity magazines.

not true. they sold some mags, but most were gun supplies.

j_h_smith

Ultimate Member
    Jul 28, 2007
    Regardless of why they left the Maryland shows, I personally miss them. They always treated me fairly.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Tactical Shepherd

Latest threads

Top Bottom