• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Tomcat

Formerly Known As HITWTOM
    May 7, 2012
    St.Mary's County
    Great first post, come on here and bash a local gun shop. I've been dealing with them off and on for 40+ ears and haven't had any problems.

Last couple of times I've been in the firearms prices didn't seem too far out of line, some good deals and some priced on the high side. I guess it depends what you're looking for.

pbharvey

Habitual Testifier
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    I went hunting down that way once and didn't realize it would be that hard to find a place to grab something to eat so I stopped in there and got some tastycake donuts. They weren't very fresh and they had a very limited selection. Not sure if I'll ever go back or not.

TLL

God Bless America
    Jan 6, 2011
    Virginia
    I went hunting down that way once and didn't realize it would be that hard to find a place to grab something to eat so I stopped in there and got some tastycake donuts. They weren't very fresh and they had a very limited selection. Not sure if I'll ever go back or not.
    Honey buns are ok there. Frozen foods not so much. Lol
    Bought a Norinco .45 1911 there a few years ago. Only one I'd live till then. Ok people to me.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

44man

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 19, 2013
    southern md
    the tackle box is alright. I have bought some firearms there. sometimes you get a deal but sometimes they are crazy high. that's why you should always look around.

FTJoe

Aug 27, 2012
    SOMD
    I bought some great .22 used rifles, a new Henry Evil Roy for my grandson and even a nice used S&W model 36 revo over the years. I stop in weekly just to see what's new in the used department. ken, joe & al (as well as the rest of the staff) are good people in my book.

GUNSnROTORS

nude member
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 7, 2013
    hic sunt dracones
    Great first post, come on here and bash a local gun shop. I've been dealing with them off and on for 40+ ears and haven't had any problems.

Last couple of times I've been in the firearms prices didn't seem too far out of line, some good deals and some priced on the high side. I guess it depends what you're looking for.

Agree on that "first post hit & run". :sad20:

Been shopping there for many moons too. New firearm prices are usually right around msrp. Ken gave me some great deals on in-stock guns and special orders over the years. My TRP (in stock) and Kimber Super America (special order) come immediately to mind as deals where I saved hundred(s) of dollars on the transactions.

moparmike610

Feb 28, 2017
    Hughesville
    I haven't had any issues there as well , bought couple handguns and shot guns. Heck my sons 410 shotgun has some issues first out the box and they took care of it (replaced shotgun as it had been only 48hrs since picking it up). I used to deal with Jacob pretty sure he isn't there anymore.

Jul 1, 2012
    Ken, Joe and the guys have always treated me right over the years and always been a friendly atmosphere. **
    I've gotten some truly great deals in there on C&R guns.
    Reminds me, I need to swing by this week and see what's shaking... maybe I'll see one of y'all in there !

** granted, I've never gone in there looking for fishing stuff, crabs, or TastyCakes :)

Dave Taylor

May 29, 2012
    Yep....

Been dealin' with Ken and Joe at The Tackle Shop for almost twenty years now and (like hitwtom.... Hole in the Wall Tom) I have been well served and most satisfied.

Inigoes

Head'n for the hills
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 21, 2008
    SoMD / West PA
    I have refused purchases at the tackle box because they demanded my phone number after the NICS check for a cash and carry firearm.

They have my photo ID, and my address in hand. There is no need to demand a phone number after you successfully passed all of the checks when cash is about to be handed over to the sales person to complete the transaction.

K-43

West of Morning Side
    Oct 20, 2010
    PG
    I bought a shotgun and several reels, and some other stuff like Shooter's Choice cleaning rods, slings, rings, and cleaning supplies there.
    Never had a problem. Everyone is friendly, no douches' at the counter. Sometimes I've had to wait because it was busy.
    Some prices seem high, but that is true in any shop I've been in.

P.S. I don't see how one can't find something to eat down there, especially since '97 and the growth explosion. It ain't like going down to Scotland. Down there they may not wait on you because you're not a cousin. :lol2:

bbguns

Defend the Constitution
    Jan 28, 2010
    Heading to Free America
    I used to visit the TB fairly regularly. There were some decent, friendly and knowledgeable people. And there were plenty of call-of-duty operators who knew 'everything' about black guns. I generally steered clear of those and stuck with the older crew. Found some decent used gun deals over the years (Dan Wesson 15-2 with all 3 barrels for $350). Stopped going there as I've escaped to Florida.

True story from my first visit:
    I was checking out the used rifles (before they cable locked them). Saw an almost new Mossberg 500 with a slug barrel, an extra 12g barrel and a tolerable scope, all for $250. Picked it up and racked the slide to check the chamber...and out popped a live slug round. Thought Joe was going to s&@t a brick right there. No harm done, fortunately, and he cut $50 off the price as I might have saved them from a bad situation, depending on who would've handled it next.

inkd

Ultimate Member
    Aug 4, 2009
    Ridge
    I generally steer clear of the Tackle Box, I don't really care for Ken.

Joe is a good guy, so is Al.

A few times I had gone in there, almost certain they wouldn't have what I was looking for, only to find it on the shelf.

Capt Skup

Ultimate Member
    Feb 29, 2012
    Calvert County
    Been stopping in every once in awhile, since getting stationed on base in '92. Have bought ammo, but no firearms due to inflated prices. The one employee that stands out for being knowledgable and polite is the tall older gentleman. Most of the rest that hang out behind the counter just talk to hear themselves. Why does the place always smell so dank in there? Old carpet, mold? If in St.Mary's I usually head over to Bob's Sunoco, have gotten several firearms from them, good price, good service.

LimaVictor

Ultimate Member
    Mar 9, 2012
    Southern MD
    We are just like any old mom and pop is how I see it. We have our quirks from the owner all the way down to our latest hires. Our hires are usually very young kids whose knowledge of firearms come from the movies and video games they watch and play. Al (the tall older gentleman), myself, and a couple other guys are always teaching the young kids and broadening their knowledge. But I will tell ya...those young kids do fish and are quite knowledgable in that aspect.

Capt Skup

Ultimate Member
    Feb 29, 2012
    Calvert County
    For such low overhead, I would think that the prices would be better. Fishing equipment not too bad but the guns...wow, shocking overpriced. Like going to one of the nutty car dealers where they stick an "adjusted for market" ad on sticker.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Andre

Latest threads

Top Bottom