• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rseymorejr

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 28, 2011
    Harford County
    But in a life or death situation, which every shooting should be, I want the best. I want the world's most accurate, easy to use, confidence inspiring gun, and I'll gladly pay for both the measureable and intangible qualities in that gun.

Buy a $500 gun and spend $4500 on training and ammo

danb

dont be a dumbass
    Feb 24, 2013
    google is your friend, I am not.
    But in a life or death situation, which every shooting should be, I want the best. I want the world's most accurate, easy to use, confidence inspiring gun, and I'll gladly pay for both the measureable and intangible qualities in that gun.

Home invaders dont appreciate "intangible qualities" or care how much you paid. They appreciate tangible qualities, like a big hole in the business end. Unless you live in Bill Gates mansion, almost any gun on the market is more accurate than you at self defense distances.

ETA: And in case you are wondering, there is a murder a day in Baltimore, mostly with rusty pieces of crap like this.

Attachments

• rusty revolver.jpg
      rusty revolver.jpg
      54.2 KB · Views: 343

-Z/28-

I wanna go fast
    Dec 6, 2011
    Harford Co
    What kind of hassle? More than acquiring a suppressor?

Well just for an example, let say you want to take that registered, tax stamped SBR over state lines. There's a form you have to file to do that.

Before building your own home defense gun ask yourself if you can build a more reliable gun than a major gun manufacturer.

Don't overcomplicate your home defense.
    Pick something stone cold reliable and intuitively simple to make ready and operate.

Well he doesn't have to build it himself. He could have Engage custom build him a good reliable AR and it'd still likely cost less than the gun he's inquiring about.

Oct 18, 2017
    MOCO-nistan
    Buy a $500 gun and spend $4500 on training and ammo

Well if $5k is all we’re going to spend then I agree. My initial thought to my wife was to get the HiPoint, two handguns, shotgun, & hunting rifle...while we wait for the suppressed SBR. We were set up for a training course but had to drop because she needs HQL first. We’re all about getting trained and safety . It’s the only caveat she had for me and I explained what it meant. Family said training was to get the permit so I needed it to be clear that training is ongoing and doesn’t have to be boring. Went to the range with FIL and we didn’t know he’d been drinking. He shot a shotgun from the hip and with the recoil it flew out of his hands and he lacked anything that could be considered muzzle discipline. So we’ve never gone back with him.

Art3

Eqinsu Ocha
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 30, 2015
    Harford County
    In the meantime, depending on how far you live from an IP, Wal-Mart, or Dick's Sporting Goods, you could have a Mossberg 500 defending your home in under an hour:innocent0

sxs

MDS Supporter
    Nov 20, 2009
    Anne Arundel County, MD
    Check out the Just Right Carbine. Light, easy to handle and can be had in 9mm, .40 or .45 acp accepting either Glock or S&W M&P mags (one or the other depending on your choice of firearm). MAtch any future handgun purchase to something using those mags and you have a dual purpose mag. As others pointed out, building an AR pistol in a pistol caliber and using an arm brace is a pretty decent option as well. You don't even need an HQL....although you may have to go through the 7 day wait (FYI, the dedicated 9mm lower only requires a 4473 application while the MUlti caliber 5.56-type with an adapter requires the 77R with the 7 day wait although an HQL is not required). My PSA build in 9mm uses Glock mags. Simple build. I purchased the complete lowerwith an arm brace, added a complete upper + Ruger flipups (a bit cheaper than Magpul...but about as good IMHO) and just last week added a Bushnell TR25 Red Dot with a riser to facilitate co-witness when using the flipups. That will leave you needing mags which are pretty available at PA gun shows. Pretty fun to shoot and good capacity with the right magazines which are available at Out of state gun shows.

DevinRPD

May 3, 2017
    Talbot
    also check out converting a pistol to a "firearm." you'll get the same thing as with an SBR without the adjustable stock but without the prolonged ATF waiting period.

engineerbrian

JMB fan club
    Sep 3, 2010
    Fredneck
    Check out the Just Right Carbine. Light, easy to handle and can be had in 9mm, .40 or .45 acp accepting either Glock or S&W M&P mags (one or the other depending on your choice of firearm). MAtch any future handgun purchase to something using those mags and you have a dual purpose mag. As others pointed out, building an AR pistol in a pistol caliber and using an arm brace is a pretty decent option as well. You don't even need an HQL....although you may have to go through the 7 day wait (FYI, the dedicated 9mm lower only requires a 4473 application while the MUlti caliber 5.56-type with an adapter requires the 77R with the 7 day wait although an HQL is not required). My PSA build in 9mm uses Glock mags. Simple build. I purchased the complete lowerwith an arm brace, added a complete upper + Ruger flipups (a bit cheaper than Magpul...but about as good IMHO) and just last week added a Bushnell TR25 Red Dot with a riser to facilitate co-witness when using the flipups. That will leave you needing mags which are pretty available at PA gun shows. Pretty fun to shoot and good capacity with the right magazines which are available at Out of state gun shows.

JRC now has a 10mm that uses Glock mags too :party29:

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    I don't think I'd use a class 3 gun for home defense. If, God forbid, you ever had to use it the police will probably take it until everything is sorted out and then you jump through the hoops to try and get it returned. I wouldn't want to risk that, I'd use something that I could replace fairly easy if I had to.

No matter what you use, they will take it and you will have to jump through hoops to get it back.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    Several ways to end up where you want to be. And most are a lot less than what you are planning.

1) As mentioned, build AR .300 Blackout Pistol. You can shoot it and have it around until you get your stamp back.

2) Build or buy an AR .300 Blackout rifle, and once stamp comes back, change barrel to shorter.

No matter what, if the suppressor is not pinned and welded, or integral, it will take 2 stamps.

I did option 1 for a .223 AR. Pistol until stamp, then installed buttstock.

I did option 2 for a .300 BO AR. Both share a ThunderBeast CB5.

Building an AR is not difficult. Buy stripped lower. Buy lower parts kit, install. Buy complete upper. Done.

BTW, for most AR platforms, you need a 10.3" barrel to make 29", unless you play some games with buttstock.

Oct 18, 2017
    MOCO-nistan
    Z-28, Pinecone, and anyone else feeling so inclined; how much does it roughly cost/ballpark to build your own AR pistol? So one can build a pistol/rifle and then apply for an SBR stamp? Any benefits to having SBR stamp versus pistol with brace? We plan to move out of Maryland to West Virginia in three years for medical school should I not bother with the SBR till then or at all?

engineerbrian

JMB fan club
    Sep 3, 2010
    Fredneck
    If I were you I'd go out and get an 870 or a 500 12ga for immediate home defense needs then take your time to learn the AR platform so you can make an educated decision.

Taking a class from SOTAR is a great way to go. Build an AR pistol in his class, then when/if you move to WV you can have your less than 29" SBR

Oct 18, 2017
    MOCO-nistan
    If I were you I'd go out and get an 870 or a 500 12ga for immediate home defense needs then take your time to learn the AR platform so you can make an educated decision.

Taking a class from SOTAR is a great way to go. Build an AR pistol in his class, then when/if you move to WV you can have your less than 29" SBR

Thanks. I’ll check out SOTAR.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    Z-28, Pinecone, and anyone else feeling so inclined; how much does it roughly cost/ballpark to build your own AR pistol? So one can build a pistol/rifle and then apply for an SBR stamp? Any benefits to having SBR stamp versus pistol with brace? We plan to move out of Maryland to West Virginia in three years for medical school should I not bother with the SBR till then or at all?

Lower is under $100. Lower parts kit is about $30-40

Complete upper $400.

Pistol buffer $70

So $600 or so

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Skarface

Latest threads