• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • gruntz03

Jan 6, 2009
    Lusby
    Anyone have recommendations for a good "How to" deer hunting book. My sons and I are on our second season hunting but we always have tons of questions about behavior, calls, rut, etc. I wanna get educated.
    Thanks.

Pale Ryder

Ultimate Member
    Jan 12, 2009
    Millersville

Doco Overboard

Ultimate Member
    That's a good one and both my boys read it.
    Another good one is Modern Hunting with Indian tactics. I can't recall the author but it was printed in the late sixties early seventies.
    Sam Fadala penned some good ones two back in the day.
    Probably the best thing to do is read up some but sit with some experienced guys and talk a little.
    You'll learn more from hunting with a few different folks than sticking with the same guy even if they have a lot to share.

hi3cho

Ultimate Member
    Nov 16, 2012
    Edgemere
    Not Deer specific but Steven Rinella's 'The Complete Guide to Hunting, Butchering, and Cooking Wild Game' is a great book that briefly covers everything about hunting in general terms. Then goes in to more specifics about each species of Wild Game. He also has a show called MeatEater on Sportsman's channel and a few seasons are on Netflix. He has a very unique perspective on hunting compared to other 'shoot'em' hunting shows which I really like. He is very educated and has written quite a few books. I also listen to his Podcast, he is big into conservation and I have learned a ton from him.

bibitor

Kulak
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 10, 2017
    FEMA Region III
    +1 for Steve Rinella's books, show, and podcast. The podcast (also titled MeatEater) is especially good from my perspective. Listening to Rinella and his family, friends, and crew just shoot the shit and share decades of accumulated knowledge in an informal format just works!

Bisleyfan44

Ultimate Member
    Jan 11, 2008
    Wicomico
    Another good one is Modern Hunting with Indian tactics. I can't recall the author but it was printed in the late sixties early seventies.

Modern Hunting With Indian Secrets by Allan A. Macfarlan c.1971 Published by Stackpole Books

Picked my copy up from the Unicorn Bookshop in Trappe, MD right on RT.50 for $1. It has some pretty cool stuff in it and lots of information on hunting various game.

OP, I have another book from Peter Fiduccia called "Shooter's Bible Guide to Whitetail Strategies" that is a pretty comprehensive resource covering all the basic facets of deer hunting you listed. Already mentioned above, Deer and Deer Hunting magazine is a great resource also.

But the best teacher is good 'ol experience gained through LOTS of time afield. Some authors, while meaning well, hunt different locations, environments, and deer sub-species. Tactics and techniques that work well for them in one region of the country may not have the same success here in MD.

SummitCnty

Ultimate Member
    Jan 26, 2013
    Frederick County
    +1 for Steve Rinella's books, show, and podcast. The podcast (also titled MeatEater) is especially good from my perspective. Listening to Rinella and his family, friends, and crew just shoot the shit and share decades of accumulated knowledge in an informal format just works!

One of my favorite podcasts.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Skarface

Latest threads

Top Bottom