• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • babalou

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 12, 2013
    Glenelg
    Hmmmmm

We've booked a trip to Spartan Hunting Preserve in November. They're located in Tennessee which is not on your list of states but distance-wise might be comparable.

We met them at the Harrisburg show this past February and found them to be very nice folks.
    REF:
    http://boarhuntingtn.com/

EDIT: haven't been there before - Nov trip will be our first time.

Interesting. I actually have family in Rockwood

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    I don't know too much about hunting but I went to the Tioga website, just because it's so close to MD. I noticed the rate for a Turkey was $600 https://www.tiogaboarhunting.com/rates/

Is that expensive? When I lived in RI, I was a member of a gun club that had 60+ acres for hunting, and I would always see wild turkeys up there...I didn't realize how valuable they could be haha

Well hell if it was legal season I probably would have had 4, a hen, a jake and a pair of toms over the last 3 days hunting deer. I’ve seen as many turkeys in Patuxent before, but generally from afar or a quick flock scattering when I ran across them. This was a lot more them running across me, or running around my stand. I also heard more cutting from turkeys than I’ve ever heard before back in the park too. Hopefully I can get one FINALLY this winter or spring.

cww

Jan 28, 2010
    $600 is a bit steep for turkey but not unheard of. if you look around they range from $300 on the low end to $700 on the high end, depends on the perks - fully guided, semi guided, access only, lodging, food, location, etc

also in any hunting it depends on what you call hunting and what will give you the satisfaction level you desire. High fence vs free ranging and even that depends on acreage. to some a fence around 10,000 acres in Texas is pretty much free ranging but to others it's not unless the fence is only 4 foot tall. Suburban back yards vs forests or farms, bait vs no bait.

GutPile

Ultimate Member
    Jul 4, 2016
    Buddy saw a dead one road killed outside of Westminster. The hogs are already here just not a dense enough population.

BigSteve57

Ultimate Member
    Feb 14, 2011
    The Mrs. and I just got back from an extremely successful hog hunt at Spartan hunting in Tennessee. (http://boarhuntingtn.com/). I’m happyto report I took a large 800 lb feral hog and the Mrs. took an extremely fine Corsican Ram; both were processed for their meat. The Corsican Ram will be mounted with a straight shoulder mount along with the back skin. The hog’s skull will be hydro dipped with a mossy oak pattern. We like our mementos!
    The meat yield for the hog was approx. 120 qt. and approx. 48 qt. for the ram.

We took 3 rifles with us (some of you may have seen uspracticing at AGC with them).
    1. Sig 516 5.56x45, Leupold 1.25-4x20 scope with Accuracy 1st cant gauge, Atlas bipod, Geissele SSA trigger. Ammo: Barnes VOR-TX 70 gr. , Barnes TSX.
    2. LWRC REPR 7.62x51, Leupold VX-R 3-9x50 metric scope with Accuracy 1st cant gauge, Atlas bipod. Ammo: Remington HTP Copper .308, 168 gr. Barnes TXS.
    3. Browning A-bolt .243, Leupold VX-2 3-9 scope. Ammo: Rem .243, 100 gr. PSPCL. (Not used, no picture)
    Mrs’ Sig 516:

attachment.php

Steve’s LWRC REPR:
    attachment.php

The original plan was to get two, his & her, feral hogsfor meat. Another hunter in camp had come in the day of our arrival with an 825lb. hog and we quickly changed our minds when we actually saw how big an 800 lb.hog really is! The Sig just wouldn’t do it. A quick board meeting between me& the Mrs. ensued and the Mrs. opted to try for a Ram, Fallow deer or smaller boar. She ultimately opted for the Corsican Ram.

Steve’s hog - stalked and found it browsing @ 50 yds.
    attachment.php

A neck shot brought the big hog down:

attachment.php

attachment.php

Mrs’ ram - wandered by our blind @ 20 yds.:
    attachment.php

I would highly recommend Spartan as a host. The lodge is immaculate, the cooking is great and we were treated like royalty.
    Steve

Attachments

• IMG_2561s.JPG
      IMG_2561s.JPG
      9.7 KB · Views: 278
    • IMG_2565s.JPG
      IMG_2565s.JPG
      10.7 KB · Views: 260
    • IMG_2525s.JPG
      IMG_2525s.JPG
      28.6 KB · Views: 262
    • IMG_2571s.JPG
      IMG_2571s.JPG
      4.5 KB · Views: 261
    • IMG_2572s.JPG
      IMG_2572s.JPG
      9.9 KB · Views: 284
    • IMG_2472s.JPG
      IMG_2472s.JPG
      21.6 KB · Views: 260
    Last edited:

newmuzzleloader

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 14, 2009
    joppa
    OP, a friend of mine took his boys on a hog hunt somewhere near Johnstown Pa. I think he said it was $350 a hog. I'll try to get the name of the place from him.

BigSteve57

Ultimate Member
    Feb 14, 2011
    This is how much hog meat you get from a large hog. Freezer is 7 cu. ft.
    attachment.php

First lasagna made with hog sausage:
    attachment.php

Attachments

• IMG_2579s.jpg
      IMG_2579s.jpg
      23.3 KB · Views: 238
    • IMG_2577s.jpg
      IMG_2577s.jpg
      18.7 KB · Views: 225

Brickman301

Ultimate Member
    Mar 23, 2015
    FREDERICK, MD
    In Nov heading down to SC for the 3 day hunt:

http://www.dorseyslodge.com/hunting.htm

PlatoonDaddy,

Have you ever been there before? If so, any comments?

Rmocarsky

I went there in 2002, boar hunted with dogs. Had a great time, and got a nice hog. The food they served was excellent, and the lodge was nice. Jay is a character for sure. Lol, he’s got a lot of stuff with him, but is definitely a good guy.
    I didn’t know he was still doing it. Now that I know he is, I might go down again, probably next year.

Chris

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Jun 21, 2005
    Cecil Co, Maryland
    Wendy & I went down to Jay Dorsey's and killed a couple of hogs. Great hunt, lots of action and what a ride during the chase. We had a ton of fun and good hunt. Can't go wrong with his hunts. Chris

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Andre

Latest threads

Top Bottom