• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Tracker

Aug 21, 2011
    Anne Arundel County
    I'm considering a 10mm G20 and noticed they come in SF or standard. Does anyone know what the difference is and if one is easier to shoot. I have a G22 gen 3 and while I don't have any trouble shooting that model the grip kinda feels like a 2x4. Is the SF an improvement?

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    Pretty much everyone I know prefers the SF, I shot a couple of both, bought a 20SF myself. The main difference I can feel is that the backstrap is a lot flatter near the bottom of the grip with the "hump" greatly reduced, a lot more natural feeling, and points better. The logical answer given the choice would be to go for a 4th gen, it is the same grip size as the 3rd gen SF models, but has backstraps that can make it feel like a plain 3rd gen, or an even larger grip. The mag release is much better, and the recoil spring setup does actually cut felt recoil. I run a heavier spring on a metal guiderod to shoot hot 10mm, a buddy runs a 4th gen stock, and even with my heavier spring, his feels better with pretty much every load. The grip texture is far better too, it doesn't grind on your fingers on the frontstrap as much, and stays in place better, and includes a 3rd mag. If the 4th gen was out when I bought mine, i would have definitely chosen that over the 3rd gen SF, well worth the little increase in cost

Tracker

Aug 21, 2011
    Anne Arundel County
    Pretty much everyone I know prefers the SF, I shot a couple of both, bought a 20SF myself. The main difference I can feel is that the backstrap is a lot flatter near the bottom of the grip with the "hump" greatly reduced, a lot more natural feeling, and points better. The logical answer given the choice would be to go for a 4th gen, it is the same grip size as the 3rd gen SF models, but has backstraps that can make it feel like a plain 3rd gen, or an even larger grip. The mag release is much better, and the recoil spring setup does actually cut felt recoil. I run a heavier spring on a metal guiderod to shoot hot 10mm, a buddy runs a 4th gen stock, and even with my heavier spring, his feels better with pretty much every load. The grip texture is far better too, it doesn't grind on your fingers on the frontstrap as much, and stays in place better, and includes a 3rd mag. If the 4th gen was out when I bought mine, i would have definitely chosen that over the 3rd gen SF, well worth the little increase in cost

Ok Thanks, I was going to ask about gen4 vs gen3 too but forgot

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    The difference is the SF is 3mm shorter front to back on the grip. I have a G20SF and it is more comfortable for my average sized hands

As mentioned the SF models are for Gen 3 models. Gen 4 haver the replaceable backstrap so not needed.

Tracker

Aug 21, 2011
    Anne Arundel County
    Now you do I prefer the standard grip angle on Glocks even the large frames. (Medium strap on gen 4)

If you buy a gen 4 you can make it standard or SF, beavertail, etc.

I looked at the gen 4s and for "just a hundred dollars more" I can get a Glock 40 with a 6inch barrel. Lord help me please I have NO self control :D

ken792

Ultimate Member
    Sep 2, 2011
    Fairfax, VA
    I looked at the gen 4s and for "just a hundred dollars more" I can get a Glock 40 with a 6inch barrel. Lord help me please I have NO self control :D

I got offered a Gen 3 20 with two mags and night sights for $350 by a dealer at the last Nation's Show. I had to pass on it since I didn't want another 10mm at the moment and am trying to not break my streak with private transfers.

I do love my 40 MOS, but I haven't fired it in about a year and a half. I've been meaning to get some sights for it and load 10mm. I have all the reloading components.

https://www.mdshooters.com/showthread.php?t=187419

davsco

Ultimate Member
    Oct 21, 2010
    Loudoun, VA
    i have the g20sf gen 3. nice like all glocks, but frankly the 20/21 frames are a little large for me. i also have (among others) g22 and g35 (both .40) and those frames fit me perfectly. and with good quality ammo these will do pretty much all that needs to be done. if i had to do it over again i would have stuck with the regular size frame glocks.

Shoobedoo

US Army Veteran
    Jun 1, 2013
    Keyser WV
    I have both, and to me there's no noticeable difference in the way one feels, handles, or shoots, over the other.

Everyone perceives things differently, I get that, but 3mm..?? It sure doesn't make any big difference for me.

I think you'd be happy with either one, flip a coin and go for it. :D

euchre98

Feb 13, 2009
    Leonardtown
    If you wear XXL gloves like I do you'll find the non-sf nice. That being said I have considered sending my non sf to robar for the grip angle adjustment.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    I have XXXL hands . I *can* shoot the standard , but it feels a lot meeeh . The SF fits me like it was made just for me .

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    Most of the difference in grip between Sf and non SF is at the bottom 1/2 of the backstrap, the "hump". ASF grip is straighter, n and doesn't feel as swept. With 4th gen, the full beavertail pannels increase the full length of the grip, still better for large hands. Same goes for the small frame 4th gen models. I was never a fan of the 2-3 gen GLOCKs, the grip angle just didn't feel natural, but 4th gens without a backstrap aren't that far off of a 1911's grip angle

redeemed.man

Ultimate Member
    Apr 29, 2013
    HoCo
    Thanks to all of you for your replies. I just ordered a Gen 3 G20SF from Bud's. I should have it in my possession in a few and will post what I think of it then.
    Great choice although mine is a gen 4, I prefer gen 3 or even better yet, gen 2 in most cases.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Skarface

Latest threads

Top Bottom