• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Glock43

Oct 23, 2017
    I have read other threads, I understand the "You don't win if you don't play" mantra, but money is money and it don't grow on trees. With stories/experiences you have heard about, would you all mind giving me an idea if I should bother applying for my license to carry?

1. TS/SCI, Do IT/info security
    2. Obviously OPM Breach (does this matter anymore?)
    3. Not even a speeding ticket, I have a Texas LTC (probably doesnt matter)

Thanks all

-G43

Buckeye_Nut

Jun 15, 2017
    Waldorf
    You do realize how many of us in MD also have TS/SCI, very clean record (or we wouldn't have TS/SCI) and were also affected by the OPM breach? And military service? MD would have to issue tens of thousands of licenses. Not likely.

bibitor

Kulak
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 10, 2017
    FEMA Region III
    It is my understanding that you would have a decent chance if you are a business owner, but your license would be issued with restrictions on when/where you may carry.

Lots of good information in this thread.

IANAL

Ranchero50

Ultimate Member
    Dec 15, 2012
    Hagerstown MD
    I have read other threads, I understand the "You don't win if you don't play" mantra, but money is money and it don't grow on trees. With stories/experiences you have heard about, would you all mind giving me an idea if I should bother applying for my license to carry?

1. TS/SCI, Do IT/info security
    2. Obviously OPM Breach (does this matter anymore?)
    3. Not even a speeding ticket, I have a Texas LTC (probably doesnt matter)

Thanks all

-G43

Folks have successfully gotten the CCW permit. Usually it's denied by the MSP but gets approved by the HPRB. Everything is always in flux so I'd do it before the MD general assembly passes more laws making it more difficult.

Rab1515

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 29, 2014
    Calvert
    Current information from msp indicates that TS/SCI plus daily access is what they are looking for. Not to say they won't move the goal post, but pia requests of denied security based permits have statements saying they lack TS. Your odds are good at MSP, and exceptionally good with hprb.

TheBert

The Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 10, 2013
    Gaithersburg, Maryland
    Folks have successfully gotten the CCW permit. Usually it's denied by the MSP but gets approved by the HPRB. Everything is always in flux so I'd do it before the MD general assembly passes more laws making it more difficult.

Does the TS/SCI allow you to stare down the board members when they ask why you need the CCW permit? You can't tell them why you have the TS/SCI.

BeoBill

Crank in the Third Row
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 3, 2013
    南馬里蘭州鮑伊
    Respectfully disagree, and so do the many who have disclosed the existence of the clearance to MSP.

Respectfully disagree to disagree. There have not been MANY. Unless the Federal directives have changed.

Level of Clearance info is to be securely transmitted from Federal Security Office directly to Federal Security Office. Failure to do so is a Reportable Security Violation. This is not new info; it's been pointed out many times before. MSP LD does not possess a CAGE Code and so cannot possess clearance info.

I can't help that the Lowest Bidder Army Security Officer on Fort Fumble improperly sent Verification of Clearance to the MSP with out checking with the General Counsel/JAG, and didn't get caught yet. YET. The DON Security Office at the Pen instructed MDW commands not to divulge the info. DSS tells their Corporate FSOs not to divulge the info. DOE comes down like a ton of bricks on those who blab - I've seen it myself. Three Letter Agencies will not even admit their employees are cleared.

This really annoys me. This is not the first time misinformation is being spread around, and the info release has real world consequences. I know of people who were approached by foreign intelligence agents because of their clearance level. And MSP wants the info sent to them? Come on...

:mad54:

BeoBill

Crank in the Third Row
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 3, 2013
    南馬里蘭州鮑伊
    Many say this. Someone cite the "law". There isn't one.

Maybe not in YOUR agency. See my response above. If you're determined to disporve the reg, then search all the agency regs and directives from the E.O. on down and show us where it IS allowed. Because in security, you can only do what is allowed in writing or you aren't in security any more.

I once had to come back the next day on a field visit because my imbecile Security Officer gave me a sealed envelope containing my visit request. He had to resend it directly to them before they would let me in. And he had a new azzhole the following day.

BeoBill

Crank in the Third Row
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 3, 2013
    南馬里蘭州鮑伊
    Current information from msp indicates that TS/SCI plus daily access is what they are looking for. Not to say they won't move the goal post, but pia requests of denied security based permits have statements saying they lack TS. Your odds are good at MSP, and exceptionally good with hprb.

This also makes you a dandy target. It's called OPSEC. Look it up.

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    Maybe not in YOUR agency. See my response above. If you're determined to disporve the reg, then search all the agency regs and directives from the E.O. on down and show us where it IS allowed. Because in security, you can only do what is allowed in writing or you aren't in security any more.

I once had to come back the next day on a field visit because my imbecile Security Officer gave me a sealed envelope containing my visit request. He had to resend it directly to them before they would let me in. And he had a new azzhole the following day.
    When do "agencies" make law?

BeoBill

Crank in the Third Row
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 3, 2013
    南馬里蘭州鮑伊
    When do "agencies" make law?

Yours apparently does. Read back a few months to the extremely long thread in which I constructed the devolution of requirements from Public Law to Executive Order to Cabinet-level directives to agency/CCSA regulations and directives to base/post regs and directives and Corporate Security Directives and boilerplate contract clauses.

Ask someone at NSA to send a clearance to you. They don't even send them to other DOD CCSAs.

By the way, are you a Responsible Security Official? If not, you see only the thin film at the surface.

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    Yours apparently does. Read back a few months to the extremely long thread in which I constructed the devolution of requirements from Public Law to Executive Order to Cabinet-level directives to agency/CCSA regulations and directives to base/post regs and directives and Corporate Security Directives and boilerplate contract clauses.

Ask someone at NSA to send a clearance to you. They don't even send them to other DOD CCSAs.

By the way, are you a Responsible Security Official? If not, you see only the thin film at the surface.
    Dude. Everyone here says it's "illegal" for anyone to mention their clearance status. I just want to see the proof. I'm retired, i have no agency. Show the USC.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Skarface

Latest threads

Top Bottom