• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • R81

Jun 30, 2006
    I have been resizing and decapping .223, some with the Redding .223 die and some with the Lee decapping die. About 1 in 100 are staked too tightly for me to deprime. The most difficult ones seem to be those with 3 perpendicular stakes. What do you do with your cases that are difficult to deprime?

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    I have never run into one that the Lee Universal Decapping die would not decap.

But Lee makes a manual setup with a solid rod and pin, that you smack with a hammer. That will get ANY primer out.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    I have never run into one that the Lee Universal Decapping die would not decap.

But Lee makes a manual setup with a solid rod and pin, that you smack with a hammer. That will get ANY primer out.

Same with my RCBS

hollyb1

Oct 11, 2012
    Halethorpe
    Harvey depriming tool? Are staked primers tougher to remove than swagged/crimped military primers, the tool has no issue with those at all.

R81

Jun 30, 2006
    Harvey depriming tool- I like it. Looks like a good tool for staked brass. Several good videos about the Harvey tool on YouTube.

jrumann59

DILLIGAF
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 17, 2011
    My lee does not a have problem with staked primers but I have broke a few pins on the ones that have the red stuff around it.

I put a thread in here warning people about Perfecta brass but people were commenting on it about shooting fine, missing the point :sad20:

You can decap off center holes without your decapping tool.

you will need:
    a metal rod that just barely fits into the neck of the case, about 6 inches long.
    A shell holder that fits your case
    a block of wood (a 12 inch long piece of 2X4 works fine)
    water
    paper towels or rags

first you need to make a hole in the 2X4 1/4 inch in diameter all the way through. Then on one side of that hole drill a hole the diameter of the shell holder base. It should fit snug with the actual shell holder sticking out of the wood.

now fill your case with water and put it in the shell holder. Put the metal rod just inside the case neck. Now cup the case and the rod together with one hand (dont let the rod slip down into the case) and with the other hand hit the rod with the hammer. It may take 2-3 times but the hydraulic action of the water will drive the primer out. This works on Berdan primers as well which will let you drill out the embedded anvil those cases and convert them to boxer primed cases.

the paper towels or rags are for clean up. Water goes every where. I save up all of my berdan/PITA primed brass and do this outside in the summer. I put the brass in the oven at 200 degrees for 30 minutes to dry it out, but you could let it air dry if you aren't in a hurry.

drive_accord_ingly

Aug 1, 2007
    MoCo
    :DThose are put on military cases to secure the primers. The military cases need to be secure with a capital S and waterproof. Especially in the post M1 Garand days of Full auto military rifles.

You can still decal them with good quality dies. I add an extra step to de prime with the Rock Chucker and use a case mouth chamfer tool to undo the primer. After reloading, I put in a dab of clear nail polish to make a watertight seal... And to really p1$$ off my wife.

:D:D

Heh heh...

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Claude

Latest threads

Top Bottom