• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Magnumst

Ultimate Member
    Mar 26, 2013
    My son just bridged to the boyscouts and now is in need of a back pack. Does anyone have one they could recommend or one that I should stay away from. What should I look for in a back pack? My son is of average size and strength for an 11 yr old.

LucasF

Mar 6, 2014
    Stevensville, MD
    Personally, I would stay away from internal frame packs. I couldn't ever seem to get as much stuff into them. But, as far as brand names go, I cant really say. I would look into a surplus store and try to fine an old army/marine ruck sack. The are great and you can get tons of stuff in them. Only thing about that is it may be too large for an 11 y/o.

Ganegrei

Comblock Convert
    Jun 23, 2011
    Somewhere in BoCo
    Is he going to actually be doing any backpacking? Is his troop requiring him to have a backpack?

Depending on the answers to those questions it might be wise to wait until he is a few years older and/or starts doing actual backpacking before buying him a backpack.

I can cast my vote for an internal frame pack though. Very comfortable with less awkward dimensions then an external frame. Have not looked at the market recently though.

Major03

Ultimate Member
    The old ALICE pack with external frame sucks. I have lower back problems from humping them for too many years and the straps will quickly make him miserable. Recommend against them, especially for a kid who isn't full grown as they are designed for adults.

Personally, I'd go to REI or somewhere where they can measure him. You wouldn't buy him adult sized hiking boots, so don't buy him an adult sized backpack. Try to find a backpack that is adjustable so you can get a couple of years out of it.

Internal vs external framed packs...external packs will have better ventilation but generally fit less comfortably. External will probably be fine for on trail hiking. When you start going off trail / scrambling it's nice to have an internal pack...but he'll probably benefit more from the better ventilation. It's true that you can generally stuff external frames / hang stuff off the pack better...but something to think about is limiting the load to about 30% of his overall weight. That means he'll have to pack light and think about what he's packing. Over stuffing a pack vs. thoughtful choices will break a hiker's spirit quickly...especially a new one.

Some nice to have stuff to look for in a backpack...compression straps to keep lighter loads from shifting around, external pockets to make access to smaller stuff easier on the trail, external pockets for water containers.

chale127

Ultimate Member
    Nov 5, 2008
    Brooklyn, MD
    DO NOT GET HIM A MILITARY STYLE PACK OF ANY TYPE!!!
    They are built for men and uncomfortable as hell for the most part.
    I'm an Eagle Scout and former Adult Leader with MANY hiking miles under my belt and i cannot tell you how many kids parents went cheap because they had their old Alice pack or ruck and gave it to them and two miles into a hike we had to divy up his stuff to reduce the load because of a poor pack design that didn't fit the kid properly

GO TO REI or Hudson Trail and HAVE HIM FITTED for a pack

like Mr H said...short hops, internal is fine, long hauls go external Frame

FIT IS EVERYTHING!

terp91

Mar 14, 2013
    Halethorpe
    While he's young and still growing I'd recommend an external frame pack. Decent ones can be had for cheaper than equivalent internals and the frame can sometimes be adjusted a bit more to grow with him.

Once he's older I feel that a nice internal frame pack is best on longer backpacking trips for comfort. I got an internal frame to replace my external before Philmont a few years ago and was glad I did.

Mickey the Dragon

Ultimate Member
    Feb 19, 2009
    Ohio
    I would also recommend that you talk with the Scout Masters in your new troop and see how many miles your son will be likely to actually cover in an actual backpacking capacity. In my Scouting days, we generally car camped and then went on hikes for most of the weekend trips and only did actual backpacking on longer summer trips. Each troop is different, so see what your son will be doing and buy accordingly.

Also, I would echo the recommendation to get fitted for a backpack and not just order one online, but also bring all of the crap that he's going to be carrying to make sure that his new pack will also hold all of his equipment.

Other than that, if your son doesn't need a true backpacking backpack, I would recommend just getting a good quality day pack and then spending the savings on all of the other gear he's going to need to acquire eventually.

Oct 21, 2008
    St Mary's
    Spend a couple extra dollars and go to REI and have him fitted. An ill fitting backpack will make him uncomfortable and question his deisre to head for the hills. It doesn't cost extra for fitting but REI can be slightly higher than internet sales. With that, if your not satisfied, they'll take it back no questions.

I"ve backpacked many miles, internal frames are the way to go, period end of story. External frames are uncomfortable and if you need to lash that much stuff to the frame, either your pack is too small or you're carrying too much (too much is usually the case). For a weekend backpacking trip you need a minimum 55 liter bag and if you do alot of cold weather backpacking a maximum of 65 or 70 liters. I'd go with 55 or 60 liters for most every occasion.

My son through hiked all 2184 miles of the Appalachian trail in 2012. I did part of it with him (someone has to pay the bills.) and NOBODY had external frame packs after the first 80 miles. Those who start out with one, send it home and buy a real pack at Nell's gap, the first outfitter on the trail for northbound hikers.

Bottom line, don't go cheap, DO NOT GO SURPLUS, and expect to have a need to trade up in size in a couple years. his back will love you for it.

campns

Ultimate Member
    Mar 6, 2013
    Germantown, MD
    Spend a couple extra dollars and go to REI and have him fitted. An ill fitting backpack will make him uncomfortable and question his deisre to head for the hills. It doesn't cost extra for fitting but REI can be slightly higher than internet sales. With that, if your not satisfied, they'll take it back no questions.

I"ve backpacked many miles, internal frames are the way to go, period end of story. External frames are uncomfortable and if you need to lash that much stuff to the frame, either your pack is too small or you're carrying too much (too much is usually the case). For a weekend backpacking trip you need a minimum 55 liter bag and if you do alot of cold weather backpacking a maximum of 65 or 70 liters. I'd go with 55 or 60 liters for most every occasion.

My son through hiked all 2184 miles of the Appalachian trail in 2012. I did part of it with him (someone has to pay the bills.) and NOBODY had internal frame packs after the first 80 miles. Those who start out with one, send it home and buy a real pack at Nell's gap, the first outfitter on the trail for northbound hikers.

Bottom line, don't go cheap, DO NOT GO SURPLUS, and expect to have a need to trade up in size in a couple years. his back will love you for it.

I agree 100% but you could get a few more years out of the pack if you get one that you can buy diffrent size straps or bags while using the same frame, It's what i had going through scouting and doing High Adventure Camps... saved my parents alot of cash that way... it also helped my mom part timed as a seamstress and could make any pack i wanted.

Oct 21, 2008
    St Mary's
    I agree 100% but you could get a few more years out of the pack if you get one that you can buy diffrent size straps or bags while using the same frame, It's what i had going through scouting and doing High Adventure Camps... saved my parents alot of cash that way... it also helped my mom part timed as a seamstress and could make any pack i wanted.

There are many internal fram packs that can be adjusted quite a bit. I had external frame packs myself, but internal packs weren't around back in the day of square riggers.
    An 11 year old with an adjustable pack should be able to use a good adjustable one for three or four years. Once it's time to trade up you can sell it on Gear Trade or hand it down to an up and coming Scout.

EDIT: Gear Trade is an excellent place to buy/sell used backpacking gear. I've traded a number of items sucessfully. And it's pretty safe to use.

Sundazes

Throbbing Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 13, 2006
    Arkham
    I would talk to the scoutmaster also. We went down this road last year when my son bridged. Our pack has loaners so before we buy anything he will be using them. Our troop is very active has camping trips once a month no matter the weather. One thing other than a pack I would suggest no skimping on is a GOOD pair of boots. Both will make a huge difference in the quality of the trip.

chale127

Ultimate Member
    Nov 5, 2008
    Brooklyn, MD
    Tossing out a bag I have been considering:
    http://www.keepshooting.com/french-alpine-backpack.html

So its Mil surplus which people are saying is bad, but it is an internal frame, which people like.

All my backpacking years ago was with a coleman external frame pack, weekends on the AT and a trip to Philmont were not too bad.

Good Price point, the question is if you can get the belt adjusted properly to put the load on your hips as it should

Oct 21, 2008
    St Mary's
    Tossing out a bag I have been considering:
    http://www.keepshooting.com/french-alpine-backpack.html

So its Mil surplus which people are saying is bad, but it is an internal frame, which people like.

All my backpacking years ago was with a coleman external frame pack, weekends on the AT and a trip to Philmont were not too bad.

That one doesn't look too bad. MILSURP packs are not all bad, but ALICE packs are really back breakers. The big issue with many internal frame MILSURP packs like the CFP-90 is they are usually big enough to carry a house.
    I would recommend the pack the British SAS used to use. It's a Berghaus Vulcan. I used to have one and it's practically bulletproof. It has two zip off pockets on the side that combine to make a day pack. Again with the side pockets it's huge at 100 liters but you should be able to find used ones on ebay reasonably.

PS I got mine by trading it for an ALICE pack... WIN!

Mack C-85

R.I.P.
    Jan 22, 2014
    Littlestown, PA
    Another vote for ask the Scoutmaster. You may end up with two...a good day pack for weekend drive-ins, where space in transporting vehicles may be at a premium, and a good larger backpack for actual hiking trips.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Tactical Shepherd

Latest threads

Top Bottom