• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • freebird

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Jan 11, 2013
    Such a personal choice, so hopefully I'll narrow it down quite a bit before asking for recommendations. But first, Q's:

For a free float, are the handguards that mount to the mil-spec barrel nut any better/worse than the ones with a proprietary nut (other than weight)?

Now assuming free float, here's my needs for the handguard:
    • Carbine or Mid length.
    • Minimal or no pre-fabbed rails, something smooth.
    • On the larger size of diameter.
    • Anyone make a polymer free float? I hate the heat that the metal guards seem to soak up and transfer to my hand, and the carbon fiber ones are xpensive.
    • Reasonable price (I'd love to find something ~$100-125).
    • Doesn't have to be super lite.
    • I don't care if Mlok or Keymod or other (all else equal, I'd go Mlok I think).

With all that said, below are examples I'm considering. Comments (pro or against), or other recommendations welcome!

Anderson, for $37, but no description of how it attaches
    AM-66FF-DI16-6.83_4.jpg

Apex Gator Grip, which I like the idea, but $191
    ML_Unassembled_Side_View__15862.1396903142.1280.1280.jpg

Hogue has these 'overmolded' (I assume rubberish), but no vent holes?? ~$90
    hogupic15924_7358673b-0323-4f62-affd-7268cd32b179_1024x1024.jpeg

Nordic Components, ~$90
    NC-FFT-NC1-RFL-2.jpg

Anderson, $120
    D2-K066-A03-KIT.jpg

These AeroPrecision's look damn good for the price ~$80
    ar15-quantum-mlok-handguards-black.jpg

Tactics

Ultimate Member
    Jan 15, 2010
    Happy to be Here
    I have enjoyed..

Magpul Moe Drop In Handguards for the ease of attaching other Magpul Stuff.

I love the BCM KMR because it is light and narrow making it super easy to hold and maneuver. It also accepts keymod pretty much all over so options are endless.

The Noveske NSR is also an amazing rail. It is very similar to the KMR. Can't lie, the name was a big draw for me but it has been great.

I also used a Fortis Rev a few years back which is a great rail but very blocky and bulky. I replaced it with the KMR and intend to use the Rev with a Bipod on long range build soon.

Not sure if this answers any of your questions, just my experience. Good luck!

freebird

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Jan 11, 2013
    It's just hard for me to pay 2x for a rail what I paid for a barrel, without understanding why! :)

So, is there something fundamentally wrong with the AeroPrecision rails for $80, for example?

Racer Doug14

Thread killer
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Feb 22, 2013
    Millers Maryland
    The Aero is probably fine. Its your money. I have the Noveske NSR and really like it. If I was going to build a carbine it would have a KMR on it. MI make one that people like.

Magnumite

Ultimate Member
    Dec 17, 2007
    Harford County, Maryland
    My experience, and it isn't much, I was/am in the same boat as you. Here is what I figured out so far. Free float is definitely the way to go. Tubes without means to mount accessory rails are okay on a rifle for me since it typically isn't an entry tool...but nor am I a tactician. But then a bottom section for a sling mount or bipod is nice. Tried that same type of tube on an 18" rifle, SPR sorta thing, and quickly decided to sell it and get a quad rail. Having at least a top rail is good since sooner or later you'll be experimenting with sights, optics and so on. I've even tried a dot on the tube, shotgun or Scout style. Having the other rails is annoying if not needed, so a mountable rail system beats the rail covers.

At the last gun show I was looking at the reduced diameter tubes...seems like a good idea but also the hand could get hot...but don't know since I have never used an AR so equipped. YMMV

I can say a quad railed free float can be quite handfilling, like the DPMS MK 12 handguard I am using one AR, the rail covers increase girth. The plain tubes are more shooter friendly (for me), both a RRA and a DPMS, and more slender than a quad rail. I used another maker's free float which had an integral top rail and ability to add sections elsewhere. It was on an LR-308 and I liked it.

DaemonAssassin

Why should we Free BSD?
    Jun 14, 2012
    Political refugee in WV
    FWIW, when I said Strike Industries, it is because I use them on all of my lightweight builds. Keymod and it looks like a BCM KMR, but for about 100 bucks less than the KMR. I have one on my 300BLK Bambi Slayer and that rifle is light...

The pic is of a carbine length one, but you get them in varying lengths, all the way out to 16 inches.

1_8_8.jpg

stu929

M1 Addict
    Jan 2, 2012
    Hagerstown
    I got one from ares armor that was quite nice. 12-13 inch and was around 100 bucks.
    Looks sharp too

Thats a 10.5 inch barrel with a kak industries flash hider.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

Russ D

Ultimate Member
    Nov 10, 2008
    Sykesville
    I really like the value and performance of the Midwest rails. My least favorite is my BCM KMR. It is very brittle and the finish flakes off way too easily. For as much as it costs IMHO it's a total failure.

Here's the MW that cost about 120$

omegared24

Ultimate Member
    Dec 23, 2011
    Ijamsville, MD
    It's just hard for me to pay 2x for a rail what I paid for a barrel, without understanding why! :)

So, is there something fundamentally wrong with the AeroPrecision rails for $80, for example?

Everything I have from Aero is solid. From what I understand that is their "budget" line but excellent quality.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    FWIW, when I said Strike Industries, it is because I use them on all of my lightweight builds. Keymod and it looks like a BCM KMR, but for about 100 bucks less than the KMR. I have one on my 300BLK Bambi Slayer and that rifle is light...

The pic is of a carbine length one, but you get them in varying lengths, all the way out to 16 inches.

1_8_8.jpg

I like these. They are very light, have a solid mounting solution and are very affordable. I have these on two of my rifles.

freebird

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Jan 11, 2013
    I went with the Aero Precision 9" Quantum Mlock. $85 including proprietary barrel nut and (4) 0.0015" shims. I could have used another shim or two which would have allowed me to use a ~40ftlb timing rather than a ~75ftlb timing, but other than that nitpick, it's seems very sturdy and I'm pretty happy especially for the price. Another poster mentioned that the holes in the bolt don't have much support at the outer edge (true) and that they tend to balloon out during mounting. I torqued to near 70 ft lb several times during fitting, and had no problem.

Thanks for all the references to other solutions, I probably try something else on my next build...just because so many good options!

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom