• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Tihsho

Secret Asian Man
    Aug 23, 2011
    Frederick & HoCo, MD
    Looking for a light for my 9mm AR with a few caveats:

1 - LED
    2 - Off the shelf batteries (not Surefire batteries, etc)
    3 - Either can be used with rings that mount to picatinny rails or has a built in picatinny mount.
    4 - Remote on/off optional

The goal for the carbine is something that is home defense and I can grab and go if the case ever arises. Surefire makes some great lights for the law enforcement community, but on a rifle that might not have the light used often, I don't see the point of having something that uses a rechargeable cell that might have drained in between uses due to some parasitic loss. In the case I have to use the light if something goes bump I can test the function and slap in some fresh batteries rather than hoping I have some that are charged in a worst case scenario.

Recommendations?

Gizmo98

Free At Last!!
    Nov 4, 2015
    Central PA
    Based on your intended use, you want a "Surefire battery". 123 batteries are designed to hold their charges when not being used often. I have an Inforce WML on my rifle. I'd recommend no more than a 200-300 lumen light for indoor use. Anything brighter will be too bright for indoor use.

mopar92

Official MDS Court Jester
    May 5, 2011
    Taneytown
    Two choices, CR123s are standard for weapon lights because they're great at handling recoil. On my trunk gun I have the new Streamlight Pro Tac Rail Mount 1 that uses a "Dual Fuel" system. It can run off of a CR123 or a AA with no changes.
    I also have a Polytac HP that I've been meaning to get a light mount for.

The only issue with a CR123 set up is most flashlights have electrical not mechanical switches that will have a parasitic drain, that amd the expense puts most people off.

Using a light not designed for firearms you can have issues with recoil and switch styles, for example Maglight uses a turn switch in the head of the light that would be hard to use quickly, but you do get ease of use in finding batteries.

Tihsho

Secret Asian Man
    Aug 23, 2011
    Frederick & HoCo, MD
    Batteries were my main concern. Figure the light is there for emergencies, not there to be a good to flash light if say the power goes out. Being able to hold a charge though is a good thing, but being able to take the CR123 and general commercial disposable batteries is ideal. Any other models offer that dual function?

mopar92

Official MDS Court Jester
    May 5, 2011
    Taneytown
    AFAIK just that model and the standard Streamlight Pro Tac sans rail mount. There may be others but I'm unaware of them.

niftyvt

Ultimate Member
    Aug 21, 2010
    Virginia
    Elzetta. I have one on my SBR home defense gun and they are great lights and are bomb proof. You can get whatever switch type you want and they are a standard 1" diameter light so any 1" rings/light mount will work. For example mine has a momentary on tail push button but when you tighten down the tail cap it goes to constant on. I will eventually be getting 2-3 more of them for my other rifles.

Jaybeez

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Patriot Picket
    May 30, 2006
    Darlington MD
    I think my next light purchase will an insight WML, probably the white/ir version, because its one of the cheapest lights that switch spectrums, but if you want white only it's worth taking a look at their white light only models. They run about $150.

Tihsho

Secret Asian Man
    Aug 23, 2011
    Frederick & HoCo, MD
    Thanks guys! Seems like the Streamlight right now is the best option cause it allows CR123's for JIC purposes but allows me to throw in commercial AA's in a scenario where I need to replace them with something easier to get. Based on the setup I have going on with a Magpul Carbine MOE fore end I might have to consider swapping it out for ergonomics. Not looking to load up the M-LOK points with stuff, but want to be able to mount a tape switch in an easy accessible location near my vertical grip. When running a tape switch, is there a way to have a constant on or is that feature eliminated with the tape switch? Guessing the tape switch is momentary only.

Z_Man

Ultimate Member
    May 23, 2014
    Harford County
    I have a streamlight that uses 123a batteries and I bought a 12 pack of batteries with nearly a decade of shelf life. I recently replaced the original batteries that came with the light. 2.5 hours of run time on batteries is fine so long as you check it from time to time. lasted me about 1.5 years, ymmv

C&RTactical

Jul 24, 2013
    I barely go through Surefire batteries so I would not worry about it. I have had the G2X Fury for about three years and replaced the batteries only twice. I use the P2X Tactical is only changed the batteries once on it. I have had the same 12 pack of Surefire batteries for almost 4 years now. If you want the extra durability and power, go with Surefire and batteries will not get sucked up by your light use of it.

Tihsho

Secret Asian Man
    Aug 23, 2011
    Frederick & HoCo, MD
    After some consideration I went with the Streamlight Pro Tac Rail Mount Mod 1 to test out with the Magpul MOE Illumination kit for the tape switch. I have plans for a few more carbines so I'll be trying out the Inforce WML later on for sure. Once I get all the parts in I'll update my pistol carbine thread here

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Drake1990$

Latest threads

Top Bottom