• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • LimaVictor

Ultimate Member
    Mar 9, 2012
    Southern MD
    Good luck to you all huntin' for that 35"+ keeper today.
    And please be safe on the water this season.

All we've seen come into the shop today are perch and catfish. LOTS of catfish!

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    With Rockfish on an obvious decline I cannot for the life of me fathom why fisherman will not self regulate and release the breeder cows. Scientists urged to close this season. Virginia mules closing the season but not a word from Maryland.

All this is going to do in force another closed season in the future.

x1000

ETA I'm fine with a couple closed spring seasons. In my un-scientific mind, it's the best way to maintain the fishery.

Inigoes

Head'n for the hills
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 21, 2008
    SoMD / West PA
    With Rockfish on an obvious decline I cannot for the life of me fathom why fisherman will not self regulate and release the breeder cows. Scientists urged to close this season. Virginia mules closing the season but not a word from Maryland.

After this year, one would expect the spring season to be closed on the rivers. To afford more of a hatch caused by the additional pressure of the invasive snakeheads.

Snakeheads are already being caught in the shallow grassy edges of rivers.

dannyp

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 30, 2018
    spring or trophy season is only allowed in the main stem of the bay below the brewerton channel ( main east -west channel out of the harbor ) i like to fish as much as the next guy but it seems as though this will be the last trophy season for awhile for us , although they slay them up and down the coast .

babalou

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 12, 2013
    Glenelg
    Well well then

x1000

ETA I'm fine with a couple closed spring seasons. In my un-scientific mind, it's the best way to maintain the fishery.

You should then make them extend deer season so you can get another elk-ish white tail. :) damn crazy looking deer you got.

Archeryrob

Undecided on a great many things
    Mar 7, 2013
    Washington Co. - Fairplay
    I am not advocating for closing fishing season, just closing the season (Keeping) on the breeders. Have fun catching them, maybe even a picture, but toss them back. Schoolies taste better anyways and there are lots more of them. I like the slot limit idea all the time. 18" - 28" and never a fish over this in the boat. The fishery needs the big girls alive. Maybe even close the keeping season until breeding is over.

Cheesehead

Jan 14, 2012
    Sunny Southwest Florida
    I am not advocating for closing fishing season, just closing the season (Keeping) on the breeders. Have fun catching them, maybe even a picture, but toss them back. Schoolies taste better anyways and there are lots more of them. I like the slot limit idea all the time. 18" - 28" and never a fish over this in the boat. The fishery needs the big girls alive. Maybe even close the keeping season until breeding is over.

Couldn’t have said it better myself. Gonna be a hard sell to NJ, NY, RI and MA! They seem to love the big ones.

gtodave

MDS Supporter
    Aug 14, 2007
    Mt Airy
    The striper population in MD is booming. It's tough to have a moratorium here when that is happening, and the crabbers are all complaining that the bass are eating all their crabs.

ChannelCat

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter

If Maryland were as preoccupied with striped bass conservation as they are with gun control, there would already be a moratorium...

LimaVictor

Ultimate Member
    Mar 9, 2012
    Southern MD
    Rumors of a 5 year moratorium on rockfish next year.
    Captains we speak to want the summer season closed and keep the spring and fall trophy seasons open.
    EVERYONE and their mother knows Maryland for the Rockfish. But we have other great gamefish in our waters. Bluefish, red drum, and cobia. Snakehead in the creeks too. Heck, I'll take a slammer bluefish fight over a 40"+ rockfish fight any day...

Overboost44

6th gear
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 10, 2013
    Kent Island
    Rumors of a 5 year moratorium on rockfish next year.
    Captains we speak to want the summer season closed and keep the spring and fall trophy seasons open.
    EVERYONE and their mother knows Maryland for the Rockfish. But we have other great gamefish in our waters. Bluefish, red drum, and cobia. Snakehead in the creeks too. Heck, I'll take a slammer bluefish fight over a 40"+ rockfish fight any day...

This^^
    I believe the last time there was a moratorium on the rockfish, the bluefish started to make a comeback. I'm afraid the days of 30-40" bluefish are gone in most of the Bay.

I am sure finding a balance is hard. The charter captains likely make a good bit of their money on the trophy seasons, so I don't think that is a bad idea to close the summer and heavily regulate the Spring and Fall seasons. Nothing will make everyone happy, but when the water is at its warmest, the fish are more likely to die due to the stress.

HeatSeeker

Ultimate Member
    Jun 18, 2012
    Maryland
    ^^This

LimaVictor

Ultimate Member
    Mar 9, 2012
    Southern MD
    This^^
    I believe the last time there was a moratorium on the rockfish, the bluefish started to make a comeback. I'm afraid the days of 30-40" bluefish are gone in most of the Bay.

I am sure finding a balance is hard. The charter captains likely make a good bit of their money on the trophy seasons, so I don't think that is a bad idea to close the summer and heavily regulate the Spring and Fall seasons. Nothing will make everyone happy, but when the water is at its warmest, the fish are more likely to die due to the stress.

Very true! When the stressed fish has to take pictures with everyone on the boat in the heat and thrown back, the mortality rate is pretty bad.

We were getting reports from a couple captains on opening day. 2 fish in 2 hours when usually in 2 hours you used to catch 2 dozen...

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    DominicM

Latest threads

Top Bottom