• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Brad

Mar 20, 2013
    Glen Arm
    I have read a little bit through other sources but is anyone reloading these shells? I have a ton of this that I have been shooting and since i'm just getting into reloading I feel this could be a cheap/easy way to learn and get comfortable before buying some nicer bulk hulls. From what I have read these hulls are only good for a few reloads but that should be plenty for me to get my feet wet.

What wads are you using if reloading these? I see claybuster makes a clone but id prefer to use something that isnt specific to federal since after my current stock of these I will likely move on to another hull.

Red1917

Apr 13, 2017
    Anne Arundel County
    I never loaded these personally, but from what I remember Federals used some kind of strange wad that was hard to get and I couldn't use it in anything else. This was like 3-4 years ago so idk if the hull construction has changed or not. I loaded a lot of winchester AA hulls and remington gun club and could use similar powder/primer/wads for those. Gun club hulls should be easy to get and are great to load.

Just remember whatever you do to follow EXACTLY what the published data says. This is crucial for shotshell loading as primers/wads/powders are NOT interchangeable. YMMV

K-43

West of Morning Side
    Oct 20, 2010
    PG
    There are many wads that can be used in Fed cases. It all depends upon what shot you are loading and what powder you wish to use.
    Hodgdon, Alliant, and Western all have load data online. You look at the combination of hull, primer, powder, and shot you wish to load and then find a recipe with them - a wad will be specified. It doesn't have to be a Fed wad or clone of a Fed wad either. Just one that there is an appropriate recipe listed for.
    First question is what "Federal Target" 12g do actually have? Fed target loads come in paper hulls and two kinds of plastic hulls (one with a paper basewad on the bottom and one with a plastic basewad on the bottom).
    Go to http://www.hodgdonreloading.com/ and choose Shotgun, then use the pulldowns to pick shot, lead, weight of load, then scroll to down to your powder and primer. Suitable wads and powder weight are listed.
    Alliant is just tables and you can scroll down the page.
    You also don't need to use Federal Primers either. Buy the primer that is specified in the recipe or look for recipes that use the primer and powder you have on hand.
    You can get great help at shotgunworld.com reloading forum. They are extremely knowledgeable and experienced reloaders there. A member named Curly knows more about MEC reloaders than the engineers at MEC!

bigjohn

Ultimate Member
    Jun 29, 2007
    Get a reloading manual for 12 ga. I got mine from
    Ballistics products. Great info. Hull fall into 2 basic types. Straight and taper hull. They take different wads.

Brad

Mar 20, 2013
    Glen Arm
    Thanks for the replies but the more I investigate this the more I do not think it is worth it for me to reload 12g. I mostly shoot skeet and have been buying the federal top gun packs when they go on special and have been getting them around 5.50 a box. The more I look at different places to source supplies the more it doesnt really appear to be worth it for me. The time to $ savings ratio just isnt there, atleast for me at this time. I think i'm going to return this RCBS grand press before I even get it up and running...

PapiBarcelona

Ultimate Member
    Jan 1, 2011
    There is definitely no cost savings in reloading 12 gauge today.

It's not monetarily worth it to me to reload but it's just another amateur hobby to do that's entertaining and fun.

Id go with gun clubs, you'll find them on the ground and in trash cans just about everywhere. They don't have a inner base wad that can separate and get stuck in the barrel, not sure how often that happens but it was something I read somewhere a long time ago.

I get like 8-9 reloads on them before I stop marking them, and usually throw the real burned up ones away at some point. Anywhere between 10-16 reloads

Red1917

Apr 13, 2017
    Anne Arundel County
    Thats why I stopped loading, used up all the stuff I had and couldn't save much money after buying components. Kept everything in reserve in case I need it again though

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    Winfield/Taylorsville in Carroll
    Yep, the only reason to reload 12 gauge nowadays is if you really want to go with a special load. When AA had a rebate going last year, I actually bought a case of the stuff. Still going to load 12 gauge to get the exact same loads I have been using for the past 15 years. I do it for the fun of it. Now, 20 gauge, 28 gauge, and 410, there is some dollar savings there.

K-43

West of Morning Side
    Oct 20, 2010
    PG
    Honestly, I'm down to 5 bags of wads and when they're gone, I'm done. Used to be fun and my favorite 1oz load is better than Gun Clubs (in my head), but it isn't worth the time. It isn't fun to sit and crank on the machine anymore and there isn't a cost savings. Lead is just too costly now.

onedash

Ultimate Member
    Feb 24, 2016
    Calvert County
    Yeah I was thinking the same thing a while back. It seems cheaper to buy them especially when you get a nice sale. When cabelas had the gun club for $50 a flat I ordered a bunch. i'm saving the hulls just in case things change down the road.

A. Wayne

Ultimate Member
    May 28, 2011
    To me it is worth reloading. 7/8 is not readily available. It shoots great, easy on shoulder.

K-43

West of Morning Side
    Oct 20, 2010
    PG
    To me it is worth reloading. 7/8 is not readily available. It shoots great, easy on shoulder.

:thumbsup:
    Maybe I'll follow your lead. If I can hit with 1oz, I should be able to with 7/8. We'll have to see. Maybe finish off the DR 1XLs with 7/8 oz shot and a cheater Cheerio if the crimps cave? Should only need to change the shot bushing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    J_Gunslinger

Latest threads

Top Bottom