• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 18wheeler

Mar 16, 2019
    Perryville
    Hey all, I’m currently working on building an AR and have the lower together and need a heavy barrel for the upper and have no idea what is legal or not. Currently looking at Ballistic advantage Hanson profile barrels but they don’t specifically say heavy or HBAR. Any suggestions for a good barrel in the $100-$200 range?

bkuether

Judge not this race .....
    Jan 18, 2012
    Marriottsville, MD
    Hey all, I’m currently working on building an AR and have the lower together and need a heavy barrel for the upper and have no idea what is legal or not. Currently looking at Ballistic advantage Hanson profile barrels but they don’t specifically say heavy or HBAR. Any suggestions for a good barrel in the $100-$200 range?

Discussed many times on this forum!

It is either "stamped" with HBAR, or is advertised as HBAR or Heavy Barrel.

There is NO definition with regards to the actual dimensions so don't even try looking for that it doesn't exist.

Find one with the above mentioned criteria. If not stamped (most are not) it is recommended that you print or screen cap the advertisement as proof that is says HBAR or Heavy Barrel.

IANAL.

Racer Doug14

Thread killer
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Feb 22, 2013
    Millers Maryland
    An intro is proper etiquette.

But, where do you live? A few IPs( industry Partners) sell barrels. Probably 30 threads on the subject too. Call Engage Armament in Silver Spring.

Sorry, I see you did an intro.

18wheeler

Mar 16, 2019
    Perryville
    Discussed many times on this forum!

It is either "stamped" with HBAR, or is advertised as HBAR or Heavy Barrel.

There is NO definition with regards to the actual dimensions so don't even try looking for that it doesn't exist.

Find one with the above mentioned criteria. If not stamped (most are not) it is recommended that you print or screen cap the advertisement as proof that is says HBAR or Heavy Barrel.

IANAL.

I understand that and have looked over those threads but more curious if anyone here has used Ballistic advantage Hanson profile barrels, as that is what I would like to use.

Feb 28, 2013
    I understand that and have looked over those threads but more curious if anyone here has used Ballistic advantage Hanson profile barrels, as that is what I would like to use.

Like this’n here?

https://ballisticadvantage.com/16-inch-556-hanson-mid-cmv-performance-barrel.html

I don’t think so. I wouldn’t do it. It reduces too far at the barrel nut for my comfort.

A bit outta yer price range, I know, but this is more like how she’s gotta look.

https://criterionbarrels.com/products/ar-15/ar-15-hbar-contour-barrel/

RedTide

The Water's Fine
    Jul 30, 2013
    Frederick, MD

18wheeler

Mar 16, 2019
    Perryville
    Windham advertises a heavy barrel, pg. 41, at $205.
    https://ty1gp1y141k12fk1dp5xpx1a-wpengine.netdna-ssl.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/05/windham2017.pdf

I don't see anything "heavy" or "HBAR" profile on Ballistic Advantage or Faxon websites. I'm not aware of anything else that's not a budget option, like Bear Creek, but someone else certainly might.

EDIT: Depending on your patience level, you could also keep an eye out for a Colt HBAR take off on gunbroker or a similar site.

I was looking at BCA, they have a mid-length listed as SOCOM contour so I’m assuming that will suffice but they have not returned my email asking for clarification.

18wheeler

Mar 16, 2019
    Perryville
    Like this’n here?

https://ballisticadvantage.com/16-inch-556-hanson-mid-cmv-performance-barrel.html

I don’t think so. I wouldn’t do it. It reduces too far at the barrel nut for my comfort.

A bit outta yer price range, I know, but this is more like how she’s gotta look.

https://criterionbarrels.com/products/ar-15/ar-15-hbar-contour-barrel/

Exactly the barrel I was looking at! Unfortunately I was thinking the same, I am gonna contact BA for what they have to say, maybe possibly do one where they stamp HBAR on the barrel before they nitride it.

Racer Doug14

Thread killer
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Feb 22, 2013
    Millers Maryland
    If you can find a Daniel Defense S2W barrel. I believe they advertise it as a heavy barrel. They are hard to find. And, DD stopped selling direct.

18wheeler

Mar 16, 2019
    Perryville
    If you can find a Daniel Defense S2W barrel. I believe they advertise it as a heavy barrel. They are hard to find. And, DD stopped selling direct.

That is a high quality barrel, a little on the expensive side for my taste but hey I’ll buy a BCA barrel at this point! Thanks for the tip.

RedTide

The Water's Fine
    Jul 30, 2013
    Frederick, MD
    If you can find a Daniel Defense S2W barrel. I believe they advertise it as a heavy barrel.

They do advertise as such, but they are around $300. If OP can increase budget, it opens up a lot of options...but I am not a fan (personally) of putting a lot of bills into what is (for me) a plinking round, as I don't compete with, defend livestock, use 5.56 for primary HD, etc. YMMV.

And, DD stopped selling direct.
    Have they? I can still add it to a cart, but that's not to say it wouldn't stop me at another point in the process.

Racer Doug14

Thread killer
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Feb 22, 2013
    Millers Maryland
    They do advertise as such, but they are around $300. If OP can increase budget, it opens up a lot of options...but I am not a fan (personally) of putting a lot of bills into what is (for me) a plinking round, as I don't compete with, defend livestock, use 5.56 for primary HD, etc. YMMV.

Have they? I can still add it to a cart, but that's not to say it wouldn't stop me at another point in the process.

Well, they may might have changed their policy. I remember it was that a year or two back.

357Max

Feb 28, 2019
    Crownsville
    Sorry I will get over my disdain for social media and do a proper intro shortly.

This is a smoking deal (normally a $400+ barrel). Advertised as heavy barrel. You would need to have a muzzle device pinned/welded on to bring it to 16"
    http://www.x-caliber.net/223-wylde-19-twist-145-fluted

FYI - I just had a Black Hole Weaponry 6.8 SPC2 barrel made. It was advertised as medium profile, but they laser engraved H-Bar on the barrel for me

I'm tempted myself, but 300BO is next on my build list.

"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity."
    - Sigmund Freud

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom