Anyone here have a PSA KS47 AR rifle that accepts AK mags?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Sirex

Powered by natural gas
    Oct 30, 2010
    Westminster, MD
    I had some questions?

1. Will a standard 223/.556 upper fit/mount on the lower?

2. What has the reliability and build quality been like?

3. Would the insertion tabs on the Gen2 lower interfere with a 223 upper being mounted to the lower, ignoring the magazine thing for now.

Thanks for any insight

Sirex

Powered by natural gas
    Oct 30, 2010
    Westminster, MD
    It's an odd size that doesn't fit standard AR15 uppers.

" The KS-47 G2 upper will not work with a standard AR-15 lower." from

https://palmettostatearmory.com/psa...htweight-m-lok-nitride-upper-with-bcg-ch.html

Reliability with PSA is a real crapshoot. FYI - CMMG who has a similar product so maybe that's where PSA is getting some of the parts.

That is the KS47 upper. My main focus is on the lower being able to physically mount up a standard 5.56 upper. The upper won't work with a standard AR15 lower, but to specify, my question is, would a standard AR15 upper physically fit on the KS47 lower? Sorry for any confusion I may have caused.

Sirex

Powered by natural gas
    Oct 30, 2010
    Westminster, MD
    This is from their site;

"The Palmetto State Armory KS47 is a variant of AR15 that combines the modular construction, accuracy and precision of the AR platform with the stopping power and the magazine options of the AK. ... The KS47 lower requires the use of the PSA KS47 upper to accept AK magazines. Do not try to use standard AR uppers."

It specifies use of AK mags, which RIGHT NOW, is not the focus of my query.

Straightbolt

unindicted co-conspirator
    Apr 4, 2015
    The 'Burbs
    This is from their site;

"The Palmetto State Armory KS47 is a variant of AR15 that combines the modular construction, accuracy and precision of the AR platform with the stopping power and the magazine options of the AK. ... The KS47 lower requires the use of the PSA KS47 upper to accept AK magazines. Do not try to use standard AR uppers."

It specifies use of AK mags, which RIGHT NOW, is not the focus of my query.

No, 5.56/.223 mags will not work with that lower. It's set up for rock in AK mags not AR15 mags

Sirex

Powered by natural gas
    Oct 30, 2010
    Westminster, MD
    The KS47 Gen 1 is not a good gun. The Gen 2 is slightly better, but it is rough still.

I can't answer about the upper fitment.

Can they be tweaked like a some budget ARs to be a decent gun, or is it mostly the differences from a regular AR that make it bad? I am trying to think outside the box in case they do ban Hbar ARs here in MD. I am just brain storming right now. Nothing set in stone, just considering options before it is too late.

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    Can they be tweaked like a some budget ARs to be a decent gun, or is it mostly the differences from a regular AR that make it bad? I am trying to think outside the box in case they do ban Hbar ARs here in MD. I am just brain storming right now. Nothing set in stone, just considering options before it is too late.

Yes, the G2 can be made to be very reliable. Just some basic checks and a few tweaks.

The G1's can be made reliable as well but the mods are very pricey if you pay someone to do it right.

They prefer steel surplus mags. They may need some tweaking to work well on Bakelite or polymer mags.

Better Springs (Colt Gold Extractor/Springco or Tubbs Flatwire)

Polished Barrel Extension Ramps

Good Magazines (Degrease Well if they are Surplus)

Gauge Chamber and Barrel Bore with CIP or Soviet Spec Headspace Gauges and Barrel Straightness Gauge.

Check F.P. Protrusion and Extractor Recess for proper specs

FYI if you install an aftermarket trigger the nose on the trigger has to be relieved to clear the magazine catch spring in the lower.

If I still had a bunch of surplus AK mags I would buy one. They are really neat guns.

Sirex

Powered by natural gas
    Oct 30, 2010
    Westminster, MD
    Yes, the G2 can be made to be very reliable. Just some basic checks and a few tweaks.

The G1's can be made reliable as well but the mods are very pricey if you pay someone to do it right.

They prefer steel surplus mags. They may need some tweaking to work well on Bakelite or polymer mags.

Better Springs (Colt Gold Extractor/Springco or Tubbs Flatwire)

Polished Barrel Extension Ramps

Good Magazines (Degrease Well if they are Surplus)

Gauge Chamber and Barrel Bore with CIP or Soviet Spec Headspace Gauges and Barrel Straightness Gauge.

Check F.P. Protrusion and Extractor Recess for proper specs

FYI if you install an aftermarket trigger the nose on the trigger has to be relieved to clear the magazine catch spring in the lower.

If I still had a bunch of surplus AK mags I would buy one. They are really neat guns.

Thank you

Wayne1one

gun aficionado
    Feb 13, 2011
    Bowie, MD

I have a nice 5.45x39 AR that runs like a top, you could look into those too. Piston upper or conversion and .300Blk are other option you could/should investigate.

IMG_5609
    by 556 Channel (HD), on Flickr

Sirex