• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Dmacri25

Ultimate Member
    Mar 15, 2014
    BelAir,MD
    So I've always loved the ak platform, it works and fits me like a glove. I bought several before the ban, but I wanted more. So after talking to MSP, and getting the advice of several shop owners I found a work around.

I purchased two Romanian barreled receivers from Atlantic firearms, which kudos to them were built to perfection, Filed form 1's, and got stamps back in about 2 and half months. Then I did the easiest bulid of my life. Wood is polish laminate, and looks beautiful in person.

Barrels were chopped to 15.8". This may seem like a waste of a stamp to some, but I love me a full sized ak. Yes, it cost me an additional $200 per gun, but for me it was totally worth it. Can wait to get then out to the range.
    20d68277cb68dcb479bc0750e513039d.jpg
    84054e8ca5d5254f015dff6d5f246e57.jpg

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

woodline

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 8, 2017
    I actually discussed doing this exact thing with Duffy's Gunsmith. Kind of overcome by events since I am moving out of MD soon, but I think it's worth it if it makes you happy. $400 (extra) bucks well spent.

Slim

Sep 13, 2015
    HoCo & Worldwide
    Dmacri25 said:
    Barrels were chopped to 15.8". This may seem like a waste of a stamp to some, but I love me a full sized AK.
    Beautiful and brilliant. I have a Romy G kit that’s been stashed away since like 2006. Was thinking about the same project with a SBR’d receiver. Looks like there’s plenty of muzzle thread left after the chop, which was my only concern. Bravo!

JTH20

Feb 18, 2013
    MD
    Looks great.

Honestly surprised this isn't more common, I've been thinking of doing an AR with a 14.5" M4 barrel SBR or a FAL SBR since I missed out on those.

Did your FFL just hold on to the barreled assembly until the Form 1 was approved?

Dmacri25

Ultimate Member
    Mar 15, 2014
    BelAir,MD
    Looks great.

Honestly surprised this isn't more common, I've been thinking of doing an AR with a 14.5" M4 barrel SBR or a FAL SBR since I missed out on those.

Did your FFL just hold on to the barreled assembly until the Form 1 was approved?

Nope, they transfer as a reciever. They did a 7 day wait to be on the safe side. I ordered the trigger, wood and other hardware after I got the stamps to not risk any constructive intent with MD. Other than that really no different than a AR build.

Dmacri25

Ultimate Member
    Mar 15, 2014
    BelAir,MD
    So what was the total cost to build these including the stamps?
    Barreled receivers ~$500 each
    Build parts~$200 each
    Stamps~$200 each

So $900 for an actually really good quality ak. I can't stress enough how nice Atlantic's bulid quality is!

Dmacri25

Ultimate Member
    Mar 15, 2014
    BelAir,MD
    Beautiful and brilliant. I have a Romy G kit that’s been stashed away since like 2006. Was thinking about the same project with a SBR’d receiver. Looks like there’s plenty of muzzle thread left after the chop, which was my only concern. Bravo!
    I say do it! Atf was as cool with this as a 12.5 ar. It sucks to have to do this, but it works and is legal.

IMBLITZVT

Ultimate Member
    Apr 20, 2009
    Catonsville, MD
    I might consider the same for a HK93 at some point. I think they originally had a 15.33" barrel from HK. I would be the only one with an original barrel in the US!

atblis

Ultimate Member
    May 23, 2010
    There are a number of legal things you can build with that receiver though... a pistol for example

Dmacri25

Ultimate Member
    Mar 15, 2014
    BelAir,MD
    A FAL and a couple ptrs are definitely on my list! With the turn around time on form 1, it makes it a lot quicker.

Dmacri25

Ultimate Member
    Mar 15, 2014
    BelAir,MD
    A FAL and a couple ptrs are definitely on my list! With the turn around time on form 1, it makes it a lot quicker.

ST19AG_WGreymon

Ultimate Member
    Feb 16, 2009
    Odenton
    How difficult is building an AK vs building an AR?

It's definitely more involved, do a lot of reading. If you get a 100% reveiver, at the minimum you need a 12-ton press and a bolt cutters (modified to crush rivets), alignment jigs, and go/no-go gauges.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Ababe1120

Latest threads

Top Bottom