• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    I had my smith switch out the M4 profile, FSB 9mm barrel with a carbine length grip to a Faxon lightweight 9mm barrel and a 15" keymod handguard and muzzle brake. So now I have a spare 9mm barrel and Magpul handguard. The original configuration brought my off hand too close to the receiver. Now the carbine comes up and swings fast. I put my Eotech on it, and when I mount the gun, the circle and dot are right where I'm looking. I'm going to take my first 9mm AR to the smith and have him cut the barrel and pin on a 3" brake. These are my competition PCCs. Now, what to do with the extra barrel? I'm thinking about saving it for when I burn out one of the regular barrels.

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    Some people build a new AR around an extra detent pin. Sounds like a new build is on the horizon.

j_h_smith

Ultimate Member
    Jul 28, 2007
    Some people build a new AR around an extra detent pin. Sounds like a new build is on the horizon.

I've built around a receiver before. I bought an upper receiver and when it shipped, it was a left handed receiver. I asked for an RMA, the guy said he's ship out the correct upper and he would send me a shipping label for the return. I never got it. I sent numerous emails and never got a response. I packed it away and put it on the shelf. After a year, I took the receiver, bought a barrel and built an upper. I now have a left handed upper to go on any of my post 2013 lowers. So when I invite a leftie to the range, they hopefully will feel more comfortable with this.

So far, it's sat in my safe unused. My oldest son shoots left handed. It may go to him one day.

j_h_smith

Ultimate Member
    Jul 28, 2007
    Don't know. I have a RRA pre-ban that I never shoot. Been trying to come up with something to do with it. Maybe turn it into a .50 BW

Once you build your 50B, Cabela's is the place to buy your ammo. There have been the least expensive for a few years now. I buy the 335gr RN and HP ammo and it's a lot less expensive than anywhere else. They also put it on sale and that will save you $1-$3 per box.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Once you build your 50B, Cabela's is the place to buy your ammo. There have been the least expensive for a few years now. I buy the 335gr RN and HP ammo and it's a lot less expensive than anywhere else. They also put it on sale and that will save you $1-$3 per box.

Thanks for the recommendation Jim.:)

jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    So, it would seem you got the reliability issue fixed?

Heavier buffer and spring seemed to do the trick.

Seems like some Karma is on the horizon.:innocent0

Oh BTW, I’m in.;)

I might be doing that with the extra handguard at a later date. And a couple of other bits and pieces. I really should be buying spare parts now, since everything seems to be dropping in price now.

BUFF7MM

☠Buff➐㎣☠
    Mar 4, 2009
    Garrett County
    Heavier buffer and spring seemed to do the trick.

I might be doing that with the extra handguard at a later date. And a couple of other bits and pieces. I really should be buying spare parts now, since everything seems to be dropping in price now.

Sweeeeet!!!!:party29:
    Count me in.:thumbsup:

danb

dont be a dumbass
    Feb 24, 2013
    google is your friend, I am not.
    Extra barrel? You need to build one of these:

1410944869.jpg

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    I'm not sure if my extra detents are in outer space or still MIA in my man cave. All I know is they were travelling at a rapid speed when last seen.
    I do happen to have a grip screw and a stripped lower laying around:innocent0

You're screwed. I think all my lost detents are in orbit, because I can't say I have ever found a single one that has been launched.

My problem is lowers. Over the last 3-4 years, whenever I saw some 80%'s on sale I'd buy a couple. I have over 20. Not sure what the hell I'm going to do with them. Guess I'll build 2 a year for the next 10+ years......

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom