• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DutchV

Ultimate Member
    Jul 8, 2012
    I've got a safe, but what do you do when you need to partially unload the safe? The rifle I want is always in the back. My workbench is covered with projects I'd rather not move. Laying them on the floor doesn't seem like a great idea, even if I lay out some cases for padding.

Anybody know of a simple vertical rack, either floor or wall mounted? Security isn't an issue here. I'd go for one of the military surplus ones but I guess they're collectors items since prices seem high. I'd like capacity for six to eight long guns. Cheap is fine as long as it's solid. I know I can DIY but I have little enough spare time as it is.

Thanks, Dutch

buellsfurn

Ultimate Member
    Dec 1, 2015
    southern end of Maryland

nedsurf

Ultimate Member
    Feb 8, 2013
    2x4 with barrel notches cut on one side from hole saw. High power magnets from HF inlayed and liquid nails glued into the other side. Sticks on on the side of the safe or whereever for temporary multigun removal from safe. Total investment: $4 and about a half an hours time.

DutchV

Ultimate Member
    Jul 8, 2012
    2x4 with barrel notches cut on one side from hole saw. High power magnets from HF inlayed and liquid nails glued into the other side. Sticks on on the side of the safe or whereever for temporary multigun removal from safe. Total investment: $4 and about a half an hours time.

I have seen a commercial version of this that looked pretty good. Probably my best bet, thanks.

Jimbob2.0

Ultimate Member
    Feb 20, 2008
    Cheap router and some white pine from HD and you can make something fairly nice. I need to do some this weekend for some of the lower value guns (in a locked space). Probably $20 in lumber.

You don't need to worry too much about pine messing with rifle finishes.

ohen cepel

Ultimate Member
    Feb 2, 2011
    Where they send me.
    Holds 6 and is magnetic if that works for you;
    https://smile.amazon.com/BenchMaste...UTF8&qid=1497835372&sr=1-25&keywords=gun+rack

I made my own and screwed it under the lip of a end table I have near my safe. Took a little time but further maxes out my useful space. Sometimes, making exactly what you want is the way to go.

That said, $20 to be done is good and they are nice when you go hunting so you have a place to lean things against the truck.

byf43

SCSC Life/NRA Patron Life

Slightly modified idea:

Use one (1) 2 x 6" x 6'

Mark and drill w/ 2" hole saw, every 6 inches, in the center of the 2x6, starting 6" from one end.

Rip drilled 2 x 6" in the center of the board and holes. (You now have 2 'racks'.)

Then apply magnets to back of ripped 2 x 6 and 'stick' to the safe, on each side.

Glue felt to the insides of the "half holes" in the 2 x 6 to protect the finish on the rifles/shotguns.

unclebuck

Jan 26, 2013
    I was going to suggest looking at the racks offered by 7.62x54r.net, but it appears they are no longer accepting new customers. Even if you did not buy from them, there were several models described with some detailed measurements which were useful if you decide to build your own.

Here's one link from the "internet archive" with content you may find useful if you build your own:

https://web.archive.org/web/20061116001234/http://7.62x54r.net/MosinID/MosinRacks.htm

FWIW, I didn't want to build my own either until I saw how much it would cost for the racks I would want to buy.

Magnumite

Ultimate Member
    Dec 17, 2007
    Harford County, Maryland
    I have several "strategic leaning points" for the rifles which need to be moved to get one in the back of the safe. All those points are within inches of the safe door frame or on the door itself. No perfect method unless you get a monster collector's safe. But that only good until it gets filled up in a few years.

K31

"Part of that Ultra MAGA Crowd"
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 15, 2006
    AA county
    There are a buttload of cheap rifle racks on ebay meant for short term display such as gunshows that would fit your need for a place to partially unload. Some even fold flat to store out of the way.

DutchV

Ultimate Member
    Jul 8, 2012
    Holds 6 and is magnetic if that works for you;
    https://smile.amazon.com/BenchMaste...UTF8&qid=1497835372&sr=1-25&keywords=gun+rack

I made my own and screwed it under the lip of a end table I have near my safe. Took a little time but further maxes out my useful space. Sometimes, making exactly what you want is the way to go.

That said, $20 to be done is good and they are nice when you go hunting so you have a place to lean things against the truck.

FYI - leaning a gun against the truck is not allowed while hunting in Maryland. Weird, I know, but there it is.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    FYI - leaning a gun against the truck is not allowed while hunting in Maryland. Weird, I know, but there it is.

If it is unloaded, it is perfectly legal. And not so weird. They are trying to legislate accident idiots leaving their gun loaded, chambered off safe and it falls over and discharges.

Hard to legislate against people doing dumb things, but I guess the hope is to educate through legislation (also pretty stupid unless it is actually a law about providing information to people).

AlBeight

MDS Supporter
    Mar 30, 2017
    Hampstead
    In Maryland if it's not loaded you're not considered to be "hunting". You're good to go, lean away. Though I do suggest leaning it against the tire, especially if you have a decent size tread on your truck tires to catch it on. Leaning against the body, tailgate, or bumper it will shift or slide if the truck weight balance changes (you or another climbs in or out, leans in, etc...). The tire won't feel that weight shift.

Also, don't leave your (unloaded) beautiful grade Remington 1100 20 gauge on the roof of your car as you leave the hunting lease to go out for lunch. That first tight turn in the road will create nice scratches in the stock, barrel, and receiver. Not that my father ever did that, I'm just saying.....

Mack C-85

R.I.P.
    Jan 22, 2014
    Littlestown, PA
    https://www.huntersupplysource.com/product/649778/benchmaster-weapon-rack-six-6-gun-barrel-rest-bmwrbr6/?origin=google_product_ads&gclid=CN2k3Kuw0tQCFYSPswodhJsPTg

~$18.00

img_1496825595.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    SrAIC

Latest threads

Top Bottom