• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • tallen702

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 3, 2012
    In the boonies of MoCo
    I would appreciate some feedback on this. Do you have a problem with being on video at a range?

Nope. So long as Cresap isn't storing it digitally on a server that could be hacked and only turn it over to anyone in the case of an accident or crime, I'm A-OK with it.

Most indoor ranges and gun stores have cameras installed after all.

fidelity

piled higher and deeper
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 15, 2012
    Frederick County
    Seems a bit obtrusive. It literally forces me to reconsider wearing my mesh camo wife-beater with daisy dukes and a Trump hat.
    Lol, yes maybe keep the video surveillance off during public shoot times on Sunday, otherwise good idea. IWLA in Frederick has this capability with remote monitoring, and I wouldn't be surprised if your neighbors at MPC go in this direction in the near future as well.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

danb

dont be a dumbass
    Feb 24, 2013
    google is your friend, I am not.
    Nearly every public range has video monitoring in some form. Yes, the police have also been known to drive through the parking lot with plate readers.

You have no expectation of privacy in public or on someone else's property.

Personally I wear my black balaclava with the skeleton facemask when I operate at a public range. :rolleyes:

CharlieFoxtrot

Industry Partner
    Sep 30, 2007
    Foothills of Appalachia
    This subject comes up once or twice a year. A member makes a motion and we vote on it. I think the biggest concern is that we can't and don't want to check the paperwork for the can. We don't check any paperwork anyway and have no interest in starting, I believe most who vote against it just don't want the possible hassle that it might bring.

I hear what you are saying, I just don't understand why you (or any other range) feels they have any obligation to check paperwork. Under that logic you should run background checks on anyone to see if they are prohibited from touching a firearm or check ID to see if that person with a handgun really is over 21 etc. Not your obligation IMO. That being said- your range your rules and I believe Cresap fulfills a valuable public need so I'm pulling for you (and wrote all of the City Council).

danb

dont be a dumbass
    Feb 24, 2013
    I do wonder about this. Why do some ranges feel compelled to check NFA paperwork? Are they going to start getting out the calipers for my HBAR too? Do they want me to prove the lower was pre-2013. Where does this end?

Ive never had a problem, but I do wonder why some ranges are fussy about NFA.

Sundazes

Throbbing Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 13, 2006
    Arkham
    I have never had range ask to see my p/w. As a mater of fact, if I recall correctly, you only legally have to produce it for an ATF agent. That said, if a credentialed LEO asks for it, I will produce it.
    When I got my first can, I took it to an indoor range. I asked the guy if he wanted to see the F4 and he said no, I am not an ATF agent.

tallen702

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 3, 2012
    In the boonies of MoCo
    I do wonder about this. Why do some ranges feel compelled to check NFA paperwork? Are they going to start getting out the calipers for my HBAR too? Do they want me to prove the lower was pre-2013. Where does this end?

Ive never had a problem, but I do wonder why some ranges are fussy about NFA.

It's all CYA in the end. Same reason there are many out-of-state stores that won't transfer in to MD or sell to MD residents even though what you're buying is legal. Thing is, when the BATFE comes down on someone for violating the NFA, they really like to drop a dragnet and nail anyone and everyone even remotely connected to the ones they're after. I can understand the extra caution. If I were running a range, I'd likely not care, but I can't fault others for being cautious.

fidelity

piled higher and deeper
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 15, 2012
    Frederick County
    Is there a big problem with illegally possessed suppressors these days? I kind of doubt it. That's one of the reasons that the anti arguments against the House bill to get the feds out of the business of regulating suppressors falls flat. If criminals wanted to use/possess suppressors, they already would. However it's very very rare to read of any used in crimes.

On the other hand, I wouldn't be surprised if there were significant numbers of illegally possessed SBRs and SBSs.

tallen702

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 3, 2012
    In the boonies of MoCo
    Is there a big problem with illegally possessed suppressors these days? I kind of doubt it.

Eh.... I wouldn't doubt it. SD tactical is back to selling mag-lite extension tubes, "barrel shroud" kits, and everything else you need but freeze-plugs (available at any auto-parts store). Add in the fact that there are plenty of airsoft companies in China/Taiwan selling "airsoft" suppressors that actually contain mono-baffles and the opportunities for non-registered suppressors is pretty great.

Now, how many are used in actual violent gun crimes? Next to none.

danb

dont be a dumbass
    Feb 24, 2013
    they should be encouraging supressors, it gets loud there on Sundays.

As far as "illegal" SBRs, if I shoulder a pistol with a brace, have I made an "illegal" SBR? The answer appears to depend on who is in office.

Maybe they will rethink this policy now that they have competition from places that are completely comfortable with NFA items and scary black rifles. And also, steel and holster draw.

DanGuy48

Ultimate Member
    Nope. So long as Cresap isn't storing it digitally on a server that could be hacked and only turn it over to anyone in the case of an accident or crime, I'm A-OK with it.

Most indoor ranges and gun stores have cameras installed after all.

I seldom shoot at Cresap, mostly indoor instead and I have no problem at all with cameras. I like the idea. If someone's not following the rules and causes trouble, I would always want the impartial back up of a camera, because too many things get down to "he did----no, I didn't."

OrbitalEllipses

Ultimate Member
    Jul 18, 2013
    DPR of MoCo
    This subject comes up once or twice a year. A member makes a motion and we vote on it. I think the biggest concern is that we can't and don't want to check the paperwork for the can. We don't check any paperwork anyway and have no interest in starting, I believe most who vote against it just don't want the possible hassle that it might bring. On another note.

Your range your rules, but legally speaking isn't the only person entitled to see a tax stamp on request an actual ATF agent?

rbird7282

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 6, 2012
    Columbia
    This subject comes up once or twice a year. A member makes a motion and we vote on it. I think the biggest concern is that we can't and don't want to check the paperwork for the can. We don't check any paperwork anyway and have no interest in starting, I believe most who vote against it just don't want the possible hassle that it might bring. On another note. We recently were the target of a theft, the Maggot cut our gate fence and rolled it back and climbed in. Whoever it was stole a rather expensive reactive target. The reason I'm mentioning this is because we have installed cameras, two very obvious and the others hidden. Before anyone gets too excited over this, at this time the cameras are temporary, the membership will be polled about leaving them up but I doubt they will be left up when we reopen. I would appreciate some feedback on this. Do you have a problem with being on video at a range?

Sorry but I'm not going to a range that feels the need to check paperwork (tax stamps), it's none of their business.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rbird7282

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 6, 2012
    Columbia
    Well, actually it seems to me it is their business if you bring it into their range.....but easily remedied as you say by going somewhere that doesn't check.

But why would they check anyway? If they were going to do that, then why don't they check every weapon and not just NFA?
    My range doesn't check it anyway.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

DanGuy48

Ultimate Member
    But why would they check anyway? If they were going to do that, then why don't they check every weapon and not just NFA?
    My range doesn't check it anyway.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I honestly don't know for sure, but I bet it has something to do with some arcane insurance/liability issue. I'm curious about this myself. I know TMGN likes to see paperwork on any NFA items the first time one comes into the range.

danb

dont be a dumbass
    Feb 24, 2013
    I honestly don't know for sure, but I bet it has something to do with some arcane insurance/liability issue. I'm curious about this myself. I know TMGN likes to see paperwork on any NFA items the first time one comes into the range.

I doubt its an insurance issue. AGC rules just say something like "It is suggested that you keep a copy of NFA paperwork". On any given weekend I see quite a number of suppressors and SBRs and I cannot say I have ever seen an RSO check or know anyone that has been checked. Obviously, you should have a copy anyway.

Honestly, if a range is checking, I think it might be some ranges "helping" the BATFE to stay in good graces at inspection time.

As far as CRESAP, I am speculating, but I think that they probably just don't want to deal with it on a busy Sunday. If you paid $200 bucks for a stamp, you probably already belong to a range where you shoot it (and if not, why?), and you probably don't bother going public hours at CRESAP anyway, because its overcrowded noisy (what is the point of a suppressor) and cannot shoot your SBR offhand. I dont belong to CRESAP, but I'd take an educated guess that rules for members are different than for the public.

fidelity

piled higher and deeper
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 15, 2012
    Frederick County
    I doubt its an insurance issue. AGC rules just say something like "It is suggested that you keep a copy of NFA paperwork". On any given weekend I see quite a number of suppressors and SBRs and I cannot say I have ever seen an RSO check or know anyone that has been checked. Obviously, you should have a copy anyway.

Honestly, if a range is checking, I think it might be some ranges "helping" the BATFE to stay in good graces at inspection time.

As far as CRESAP, I am speculating, but I think that they probably just don't want to deal with it on a busy Sunday. If you paid $200 bucks for a stamp, you probably already belong to a range where you shoot it (and if not, why?), and you probably don't bother going public hours at CRESAP anyway, because its overcrowded noisy (what is the point of a suppressor) and cannot shoot your SBR offhand. I dont belong to CRESAP, but I'd take an educated guess that rules for members are different than for the public.
    White hot logic/reasoning there.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom