• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • psucobra96

Ultimate Member
    Jun 20, 2011
    We live in Laytonsville and out daughters went to Laytonsville elementary school. They went to Gaithersgurg Middle School. They rode a county school bus past 2 other middle schools to get to their middle school. Gaithersburg Middle School was the first middle school in Montgomery county to have a full time police officer assigned to the school. Our high school was Gaithersburg High School which was a longer bus ride than 2 others high schools. If you look at the school boundary maps you will see how screwed up things are.

Makes no sense why those kids do not go to Damascus or Sherwood. With all those new large houses being built behind Laytonsville, I wonder if they change the boundaries or all those parents have the cash for Good counsel. I live just down the road from Sunshine area.

TheBert

The Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 10, 2013
    Gaithersburg, Maryland
    Makes no sense why those kids do not go to Damascus or Sherwood. With all those new large houses being built behind Laytonsville, I wonder if they change the boundaries or all those parents have the cash for Good counsel. I live just down the road from Sunshine area.

There aren't that many houses going in near the fire department. Those houses are $800,000 and up.

Laytonsville Elementary school feeds better test scores int GMS and GHS. They don't want to pull "students" from Watkins Mill into GHS :)

You are aware of the new middle school going in at the corner of Warfield and 124, where the cornfield and driving range are located?

Good Counsel only wants athletes and intelligent students. Being a legacy won't automatically get you in. A kid from down the street went to Good Counsel, to play soccer and golf. He graduated and went in to americirps because he didn't get a scholarship to any schools.

Schipperke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 19, 2013
    Rockville High School this morning. Will be at Churchill HS at 2pm. One person :lol2: and twenty cops..

DSC_0021.jpg

Schipperke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 19, 2013
    I drove by Churchill and about three WBC people all with four signs each. Lots of MoCo Cops walking around and snacking. Big group of others, signs with the Peace and Love glurge. Hard to decide which side is more annoying..

Schipperke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 19, 2013
    PARCC, Location Location?

I received the scores for my son. The paper sites "Reading" , possible score from 10-90, and states a score of 50 is "just meeting expectations".

What is telling is that his school scored an average of 60, while the state average is 45, or more bluntly under achieving.

So all the talk of Maryland schools being all that, really comes down to a select few. A school average of 60 out of possible 90, does not even appear to be remarkable.

TheBert

The Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 10, 2013
    Gaithersburg, Maryland
    I received the scores for my son. The paper sites "Reading" , possible score from 10-90, and states a score of 50 is "just meeting expectations".

What is telling is that his school scored an average of 60, while the state average is 45, or more bluntly under achieving.

So all the talk of Maryland schools being all that, really comes down to a select few. A school average of 60 out of possible 90, does not even appear to be remarkable.

You need go look at in context. There are about 36000 high schools in he USA and the crappiest school in Montgomery Co is better than about 95% of the high schools in the country.

I do agree that the MoCo public schools are sliding but they haven't fallen off the table yet.

Z_Man

Ultimate Member
    May 23, 2014
    Harford County
    You need go look at in context. There are about 36000 high schools in he USA and the crappiest school in Montgomery Co is better than about 95% of the high schools in the country.

I do agree that the MoCo public schools are sliding but they haven't fallen off the table yet.

that comment is completely ridiculous. you think that the worst school in MOCO is a top 1800 HS in the nation? in what metric? College acceptance? graduation rates? SAT scores? GPAs? All of these are "gamable" one high school gives extra credit for AP classes, one doesn't (so an A in AP calc in one high school is a 4.0, and an A in AP Calc in another is a 4.5). some schools stress SAT scores, some schools only push to graduate kids, it all depends on the state they are in, and what metrics that state use to grade schools.

the "Results" from the latest scores across the nation put the state of MD in the middle of the nation, not near the top. I would wager some of it is slipping, but just as much of it is an overrated fell of where MD schools were 10-15 years ago. and not to pick on MD. NY thinks they have the best high schools, MA thinks they have the best high schools, CT thinks they have the best high schools, CA thinks they have the best high schools, NJ thinks they have the best High schools... and so on and so forth...

no matter what statistic you use to rate schools, you will have discrepancies, lying, fraud, etc, especially when funding is at risk. I would wager there is a great high school in nearly every district in America, just as there is a bad high school in nearly every district in America. Regardless, the majority of HS's in America are FAILING students by not preparing them well for life. high school has turned into get them graduated by any means we can, and you have the majority of college freshman significantly under prepared, as a good chunk can't even form a complete sentence, and can't solve for x in a simple algebraic equation.

unfortunately a large factor in what people use to determine what a "good" school is the level of diversity, not the outcomes of the school (often times this correlation exists however). It'd be nice to see people stop having pissing matches about which schools are best, and look objectively about what is best to prepare kids for the future. you know, the old school stuff.... how to communicate an opinion, how to do simple algebra, how to write a simple computer program, how interest works how to form a complete sentence, how to think not what to think... you know..... the basics, the stuff that was taught before the only thing that mattered to schools is preparing students for standardized testing, and nothing else.

Both of my parents are Hispanic(El Salvador), as am I obviously. They came to this country in '84. I was born in '86. They came here legally. They did everything the right way. They have full time jobs, pay taxes, and everything. They conformed themselves to the society and lifestyle they moved into. They both speak English, one better than the other.

What disgusts me and what offends me is that all these people, including members of my own family, feel that they can come here and take advantage of the systems, and become a burden on other people, and not be responsible for themselves. Why is it that my family comes here and does things the right way, and has to work so much to make a living, when people can just come here ILLEGALLY and get everything handed to them. This state and their policies disgust me. When someone who's born here can barely speak English, there's a significant problem

Traveler

Lighten up Francis
    Jan 18, 2013
    AA County
    Both of my parents are Hispanic(El Salvador), as am I obviously. They came to this country in '84. I was born in '86. They came here legally. They did everything the right way. They have full time jobs, pay taxes, and everything. They conformed themselves to the society and lifestyle they moved into. They both speak English, one better than the other.

What disgusts me and what offends me is that all these people, including members of my own family, feel that they can come here and take advantage of the systems, and become a burden on other people, and not be responsible for themselves. Why is it that my family comes here and does things the right way, and has to work so much to make a living, when people can just come here ILLEGALLY and get everything handed to them. This state and their policies disgust me. When someone who's born here can barely speak English, there's a significant problem

QFT :thumbsup:

MeatGrinder

Ultimate Member
    Jul 27, 2013
    MoCo, Eastern edge
    Just because you live in MoCo doesn't mean you have to use the public/subsidized/union schools. There are lots of options today with private schools, home schooling, and parochial schools.

DaemonAssassin

Why should we Free BSD?
    Jun 14, 2012
    Political refugee in WV

El Salvador you say? I think I know why you might be a deer hunter...

See your parents did it the right way, back when there were actual consequences for doing it the wrong way. Also, the liberal machine is just handing free crap to the illegals, so that they will vote "D", once they get voting rights. On top of that, who would turn down free crap?

Your parents have respect for doing it the right way.

TheBert

The Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 10, 2013
    Gaithersburg, Maryland
    that comment is completely ridiculous. you think that the worst school in MOCO is a top 1800 HS in the nation? in what metric? College acceptance? graduation rates? SAT scores? GPAs? All of these are "gamable" one high school gives extra credit for AP classes, one doesn't (so an A in AP calc in one high school is a 4.0, and an A in AP Calc in another is a 4.5). some schools stress SAT scores, some schools only push to graduate kids, it all depends on the state they are in, and what metrics that state use to grade schools.

the "Results" from the latest scores across the nation put the state of MD in the middle of the nation, not near the top. I would wager some of it is slipping, but just as much of it is an overrated fell of where MD schools were 10-15 years ago. and not to pick on MD. NY thinks they have the best high schools, MA thinks they have the best high schools, CT thinks they have the best high schools, CA thinks they have the best high schools, NJ thinks they have the best High schools... and so on and so forth...

no matter what statistic you use to rate schools, you will have discrepancies, lying, fraud, etc, especially when funding is at risk. I would wager there is a great high school in nearly every district in America, just as there is a bad high school in nearly every district in America. Regardless, the majority of HS's in America are FAILING students by not preparing them well for life. high school has turned into get them graduated by any means we can, and you have the majority of college freshman significantly under prepared, as a good chunk can't even form a complete sentence, and can't solve for x in a simple algebraic equation.

unfortunately a large factor in what people use to determine what a "good" school is the level of diversity, not the outcomes of the school (often times this correlation exists however). It'd be nice to see people stop having pissing matches about which schools are best, and look objectively about what is best to prepare kids for the future. you know, the old school stuff.... how to communicate an opinion, how to do simple algebra, how to write a simple computer program, how interest works how to form a complete sentence, how to think not what to think... you know..... the basics, the stuff that was taught before the only thing that mattered to schools is preparing students for standardized testing, and nothing else.

Geez, do you have a chip on your shoulder?

My daughters went through the MoCo school sytems.

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    Winfield/Taylorsville in Carroll
    My boy's school picnic was all Mexi food. So much for assimilation..

What are you talking about. Your son is being assimilated just fine.

We all have our own cultures. Mine involves mozzarella, sopressatta, mortadella, coppa, marinated olives, cheese, etc. We had a school picnic in September and my wife stopped and picked up a couple Subway Italian BMT's on the way home for the picnic.

One of the main reasons my wife and I left Montgomery County, specifically Germantown, is because she looked at the schools (e.g., test scores and free lunches). I really do not care what somebody's race is, as long as they have the same values as me. What is more important to me is the socio-economic status. I just had this discussion with my kids' principal the other day. A couple that is working their butts off to put food on the table, shirts on the family's back, and a roof over their head is not going to have the time to sit down with the kids every night and do homework, much less take time off during the day for teacher conferences, volunteering in class, attending PTA meetings, etc.

The high school I went to, Springbrook, was ranked as a 4 out of 10 on Great Schools with nearly 50% of the students receiving free or reduced lunch. This was 7 or 8 years ago when we were looking at houses. Think it is a 5 out of 10 now.

So, after doing all the research, my wife gave me a couple options. Cabin John, Bethesda, Chevy Chase, Potomac, or western Howard County before our first was to start kindergarten. If we lived in the first four areas, the residents would run me off or I would end up killing somebody while stuck in traffic. So, western Howard County it was. We moved from the 12th richest county in the nation to the 3rd richest, with an elementary school rated at 9, middle school at 10, and high school at 10. 3% of the students (no, not antimony) receive free or reduced lunch at my kids' elementary school. All of the kids, of whatever race, are pretty much good kids. Yes, there are a few problem children here and there, but not an epidemic worth.

We moved 5 years ago and I am so happy about it. Sadly, they are building homes all around us, the traffic is getting worse, and in 20 years this place will be exactly like Montgomery County where the west is supporting the east. Luckily, my kids will be done with grade school and it will be time to spend most of my time on a farm somewhere else at that point.

Driving to visit my sister in Chevy Chase kills me. Visiting my parents and brothers in Colesville is slightly less painful because I do not have to touch the DC beltway. Might have to go route 97 to Connecticut Avenue to get to my sister's place the next time.

My condolences to those of you in Montgomery County. Granted, if it wasn't for Montgomery County, this state would be a lot more conservative. Lastly, stop exporting your liberals to western Howard County. Had one at a PTA meeting wearing a Gore/Kerry shirt. Us ex Montgomery County residents talk about how wonderful western Howard County is, and I try to mention that hopefully us transplants do not screw it up such that it becomes another Montgomery County (HINT, HINT, HINT). I wonder how the locals feel about us.

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009

I thought the PARCC scores for a school were based upon a rating of 1-5, with 4 and 5 being above expectations. The state is trying to decide whether it should include a 3 in that equation. My kids' elementary school scores 65% above expectation based upon the 4 and 5 requirement, and it is in the top 5 in the county. Now, if 3 is included in that, then 97% of students would be above expectation.

My eldest is not taking PARCC yet, but that is what I learned from a discussion with the principal. I will have to ask the principal to clarify this for me.

Then, there is MAP testing for reading and math. The county average is decently above the national average. I won't mention what my kids' scores are.

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009

Go up route 97 a little and buy in Howard County. Your kids will go to Bushy Park, Glenwood, and Glenelg. Granted, Glenwood is an older middle school with a mold issue right now, so maybe not.

Schipperke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 19, 2013
    I thought the PARCC scores for a school were based upon a rating of 1-5, with 4 and 5 being above expectations. The state is trying to decide whether it should include a 3 in that equation. My kids' elementary school scores 65% above expectation based upon the 4 and 5 requirement, and it is in the top 5 in the county. Now, if 3 is included in that, then 97% of students would be above expectation.

My eldest is not taking PARCC yet, but that is what I learned from a discussion with the principal. I will have to ask the principal to clarify this for me.

Then, there is MAP testing for reading and math. The county average is decently above the national average. I won't mention what my kids' scores are.

Yes, i.e. Literary would be scored overall in five "segments" that span an overall score up to 850. That total is made of subsets, reading is one, writing, comprehension, vocabulary etc. The Reading part as mentioned is a score from 10 to 90

Last edited:

Schipperke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 19, 2013
    Go up route 97 a little and buy in Howard County. Your kids will go to Bushy Park, Glenwood, and Glenelg. Granted, Glenwood is an older middle school with a mold issue right now, so maybe not.

Many of the girls on my kids swim team go here

psucobra96

Ultimate Member
    Jun 20, 2011
    What are you talking about. Your son is being assimilated just fine.

We all have our own cultures. Mine involves mozzarella, sopressatta, mortadella, coppa, marinated olives, cheese, etc. We had a school picnic in September and my wife stopped and picked up a couple Subway Italian BMT's on the way home for the picnic.

One of the main reasons my wife and I left Montgomery County, specifically Germantown, is because she looked at the schools (e.g., test scores and free lunches). I really do not care what somebody's race is, as long as they have the same values as me. What is more important to me is the socio-economic status. I just had this discussion with my kids' principal the other day. A couple that is working their butts off to put food on the table, shirts on the family's back, and a roof over their head is not going to have the time to sit down with the kids every night and do homework, much less take time off during the day for teacher conferences, volunteering in class, attending PTA meetings, etc.

The high school I went to, Springbrook, was ranked as a 4 out of 10 on Great Schools with nearly 50% of the students receiving free or reduced lunch. This was 7 or 8 years ago when we were looking at houses. Think it is a 5 out of 10 now.

So, after doing all the research, my wife gave me a couple options. Cabin John, Bethesda, Chevy Chase, Potomac, or western Howard County before our first was to start kindergarten. If we lived in the first four areas, the residents would run me off or I would end up killing somebody while stuck in traffic. So, western Howard County it was. We moved from the 12th richest county in the nation to the 3rd richest, with an elementary school rated at 9, middle school at 10, and high school at 10. 3% of the students (no, not antimony) receive free or reduced lunch at my kids' elementary school. All of the kids, of whatever race, are pretty much good kids. Yes, there are a few problem children here and there, but not an epidemic worth.

We moved 5 years ago and I am so happy about it. Sadly, they are building homes all around us, the traffic is getting worse, and in 20 years this place will be exactly like Montgomery County where the west is supporting the east. Luckily, my kids will be done with grade school and it will be time to spend most of my time on a farm somewhere else at that point.

Driving to visit my sister in Chevy Chase kills me. Visiting my parents and brothers in Colesville is slightly less painful because I do not have to touch the DC beltway. Might have to go route 97 to Connecticut Avenue to get to my sister's place the next time.

My condolences to those of you in Montgomery County. Granted, if it wasn't for Montgomery County, this state would be a lot more conservative. Lastly, stop exporting your liberals to western Howard County. Had one at a PTA meeting wearing a Gore/Kerry shirt. Us ex Montgomery County residents talk about how wonderful western Howard County is, and I try to mention that hopefully us transplants do not screw it up such that it becomes another Montgomery County (HINT, HINT, HINT). I wonder how the locals feel about us.

I stayed to fight the good fight in MoCo, although I'm 5 min or less from the Howard county line. I'll continue to fight until there is no hope of I get bored poking the heads of liberals lol. My kids would be I the Sherwood cluster, so it's either there or Good Counsel depending....

rsideout

MDS Supporter
    Dec 11, 2009
    MD - Capital Region
    I stayed to fight the good fight in MoCo, although I'm 5 min or less from the Howard county line. I'll continue to fight until there is no hope of I get bored poking the heads of liberals lol. My kids would be I the Sherwood cluster, so it's either there or Good Counsel depending....

You and I are in the same boat. My daughter will attend Sherwood next year. Good Council was a serious option (as she has been active in many CYO activities), but we have decided to continue in the public school system.

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009

After living in Montgomery County for 39 years, I would have to say there is no hope. Plenty of liberal heads to poke though, so that should keep you entertained for quite a while.

Most people at my kids' elementary school know I own guns. My son talks about hunting and shooting at school. My daughter wrote a short story in first grade, with illustrations, of the king shooting the bad unicorn dead. I wasn't there for the reading because I had to stay home and watch the other two kids while my wife attended. She texted me about it, and then a buddy of mine that has his daughter in the same grade and is also a hunter texted me with "I hear it is open season on unicorns and your daughter bagged the only one." There are a couple other dads with kids in my kids' grades that also hunt and shoot. I can only imagine how things would be if they were in a Montgomery County school.

For now, I am at peace here. It reminds me of when I was growing up in Montgomery County. In another 20 years, it will probably remind me of Montgomery County at the time I decided to call it quits. The trip down to Rockville tonight raised my blood pressure and now I am trying to get rid of the headache.

By the way, Sherwood is rated a 7 on greatschools.org with 14% receiving free or reduced lunch. Not as bad as Springbrook at 45%, but not as good as the high school by me at 5%, which is rated a 10. Of course, free and reduced lunches is probably not taken into account in coming up with the rating.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    angel45z

Latest threads

Top Bottom