• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Mursey

Aug 23, 2017
    I'm looking for input from fellow Marylanders about which direction to head in for my first AR. I currently hold my HQL and have a sig 9mm that I use for range days, but I'm curious about bumping up to a larger caliber.

From my understanding, an ar 15 HBAR is the only legal way to own my own, but I did not know if this rule also applied to ar 10s, or if they were outright banned. I have been weighing pros and cons, trying to figure out if I wanted to jump up to 5.56 or 7.62, but it wouldn't matter if the ar 10 is banned. So far I've seen that the HBAR workaround still applies, but I haven't found an outright yes or no answer.

I'm looking around $800-1600 for a built rifle (I considered building my own, but found it not recommended for the prices) and would probably want to shoot at 100-400 yards. Also, as I live in the Annapolis area, I can travel pretty easily to VA if anyone has any recommendations for shops or larger ranges.

Thanks guys

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    AR 15 Hbars are cash&carry and so are AR 10s(as in not banned)

Buy your mags in Va.

pilot25

Ultimate Member
    Jul 13, 2016
    LWRC Di. I have one of their piston rifles and they offer top quality out of the box. Others on here have given their Di high marks.

Last price I have seen is sub-$1000 and the factory is, I think, about 1.5 hours from you.

omegared24

Ultimate Member
    Dec 23, 2011
    Ijamsville, MD
    Plenty of quality HBAR AR15's in that price range.

Most recommendations will be 5.56/.223. It's standard and the way to go. If you want a bigger bullet and reliability with parts cross compatibility then get another upper in 300 blackout. You can even use the same magazines.

If I was buying my first AR in MD I would get a Colt 6721 or go to Engage. You can get a nice AR and 300 blackout upper with that budget.

Mursey

Aug 23, 2017
    LWRC Di. I have one of their piston rifles and they offer top quality out of the box. Others on here have given their Di high marks.

Last price I have seen is sub-$1000 and the factory is, I think, about 1.5 hours from you.

If I was buying my first AR in MD I would get a Colt 6721 or go to Engage. You can get a nice AR and 300 blackout upper with that budget.

You guys got me interested in LWRC, but for the life of me I can't find Engage's website to try and look at their stock or even get an address. Is it common for most dealers to just not have websites (or poorly made ones)?

holesonpaper

Mar 10, 2017
    Hazzard county
    Lets say this a little differently. There's a number of manufacturers that produce quality AR's and there's always the build it yourself model which is good for some but not all. I own too many AR's now and not a LWRC (yet) - but the LWRC DI rifle is good rifle at an attractive price (just compare the barrel fluting) and perfect for a first rifle. For me, the jury is still out on the piston variants although I'm starting to dig the ambidextrous controls that some of the manufacturers like Radian, Mega and LWRC are doing. Just seems to be a step up (for me) although I'm a lefty. Colt, Windham, BCM are all solid alternatives.

Also - about the caliber debate.. For your first - 5.56 or .223 Wylde. Availability and cost of ammo... Easy decision.

bkuether

Judge not this race .....
    Jan 18, 2012
    Marriottsville, MD
    So many choices.

You could go dirt cheap and get a PSA, or Del Ton and not have any issues with them. A step up would be Stag, who backs their product 100%. Windham would be on par or a little above Stag, and Colt would be a "very nice and well made rifle".

The other thing you could do, is build you own lower, which is so easy to do, and get a nice upper for it.

The possibilities are endless. They are, after all, BARBI DOLLS for men......:rolleyes:

rbird7282

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 6, 2012
    Columbia
    I found that earlier, but I thought it was dilapidated since there were no products listed, a la the way of The Armory in Annapolis.

Engage has a huge selection of AR's in their shop and is definitely worth the drive. They carry many different brands and can also build to your specs. They'll treat you right.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bigdv

Ultimate Member
    May 17, 2010
    Calvert Co.
    So many choices.

You could go dirt cheap and get a PSA, or Del Ton and not have any issues with them. A step up would be Stag, who backs their product 100%. Windham would be on par or a little above Stag, and Colt would be a "very nice and well made rifle".

The other thing you could do, is build you own lower, which is so easy to do, and get a nice upper for it.

The possibilities are endless. They are, after all, BARBI DOLLS for men......:rolleyes:
    Good advice. I own a Del Ton and a Windham. I like the trigger on the Del Ton better than the Windham. And ARs are cheap right now. If you watch for sales you can get something nice for well under your 1,000 dollar budget.

cb1980

Jul 25, 2016
    I have the LWRC DI and will throw another vote out for it, they can be had for around $1000 now, throw on a set of iron sights or an optic and you are set, I have several thousand trouble free rounds through mine, I am looking to get another AR soon but I am undecided on what to get and how much I want to plop down for one

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Tactical Shepherd

Latest threads

Top Bottom