• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Sewer Rat

Ultimate Member
    OK.. the wife is getting back into shooting with us, but due to her cancer the bones are brittle and both of us have concerns over her shooting the big bore 1911s. She didn't like shooting her M&P 40s&w, too much kick. BUT she did enjoy shooting her saturdaynightspecial 380 that was given to her years before I came into the picture....

Am thinking of getting her the browning 1911.... maintains the look and feel (have not seen one up close n personal yet) with still some kick but not too much....

Opinions please.

Should note, learned a long time ago with her.... she has final say in firearms for her, otherwise they end up with either me or the boys..which isn't a bad thing, but she gets to pick her own.

Boom Boom

Hold my beer. Watch this.
    Jul 16, 2010
    Carroll
    You need to see the Browning 1911-380 (and 1911-22) in person. It's scaled down to about 80% of normal size.

For minimal recoil, excellent value, and fun-to-shoot factor, I think she's better off looking at the Ruger 22/45 (including Lite) and Browning Buckmark. Both lines have plenty of models to choose from.

Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates
    Necro thread revival

The 1911-380 was already on the roster when the question was asked https://www.mdshooters.com/showthread.php?t=177582&highlight=1911-380 but finding one in stock or orderable seems to be difficult. I may have purchased the only standard one available east of the Mississippi. BIG price increase for the target sights and rail that I didn't want and the base price is already HIGH.

Despite being a locked breech .380, recoil is pretty stiff. More than some of my blowback .380's; with the locked breech and Browning propaganda, I expected much softer recoil. I would NOT recommend it for someone who is recoil sensitive.

I've had mine since my 77st was approved by MSP. Had it to the range twice, last time I was afraid it was going back to Browning because it locked up ... was simpler than I feared, but the dim lighting at the range where I was shooting I couldn't see what I easily saw at home.

I'll post pics of the reliabilty improvements I've done to it for those who are interested.

Mightydog

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Get her a Sig 1911-22 made in Germany by Walther. Carries the same Sig warrenty. Nice plinker. Fire mini-mags with no problem. If it's the size that bothers her then I second the Colt mustang.

Attachments

• image.jpg
      image.jpg
      29.7 KB · Views: 284

Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates
    Get her a Sig 1911-22 made in Germany by Walther. Carries the same Sig warrenty. Nice plinker. Fire mini-mags with no problem. If it's the size that bothers her then I second the Colt mustang.

I think Sig has dropped all the Walther Umarex guns, but you might find one in stock just about anywhere. I think Walther still imports the same guns.

If you are going .22 the Walther PPQ22 should be in consideration too.

dist1646

Ultimate Member
    May 1, 2012
    Eldersburg
    Necro thread revival

The 1911-380 was already on the roster when the question was asked https://www.mdshooters.com/showthread.php?t=177582&highlight=1911-380 but finding one in stock or orderable seems to be difficult. I may have purchased the only standard one available east of the Mississippi. BIG price increase for the target sights and rail that I didn't want and the base price is already HIGH.

Despite being a locked breech .380, recoil is pretty stiff. More than some of my blowback .380's; with the locked breech and Browning propaganda, I expected much softer recoil. I would NOT recommend it for someone who is recoil sensitive.

I've had mine since my 77st was approved by MSP. Had it to the range twice, last time I was afraid it was going back to Browning because it locked up ... was simpler than I feared, but the dim lighting at the range where I was shooting I couldn't see what I easily saw at home.

I'll post pics of the reliabilty improvements I've done to it for those who are interested.

Interested in what you found and improvements made. Have not bought one due to the HQL B.S. but, it is one of the guns on my buy list if the HQL is overturned or I decide to pay the extortion money to the state in order to exercise a constitutional right.

Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates
    OK here it is. Looks like a 1911, but at 85%, its MUCH smaller. If I was in charge, I'd have made it just a little bigger.

Base model comes with dull black plastic sights. Almost impossible to pick up on the black gun. Testor's white on the back and red on the front with a dot of white to increase contrast.

Plastic recoil spring guide and plastic spring retainer, very cheesy. Bushing fit to slide is nominal, but fit to barrel is extremely loose.

Here begins the mods. No pics of mod #1. The mag release shape on the insert side was so crude that the single mag that comes with it almost had to be hammered in past the catch. About 2 minutes with a file and 3 with a fine stone changed it from hammer required to what you'd expect on a gun this expensive. Mag can be inserted with one finger now.

Mod #2. The transition from the feed ramp to the barrel was ... well, the end of the barrel was square all the way around. About 1/32nd or so proud. Fed S&B ok, but choked on 3 out of 100 Freedom truncated rounds. Didn't dare attempt to run any hollow points thru it. About a half hour to blend the feed ramp into the barrel. Eats everything you can put in the mag. Definitely the least picky .380 I own.

Did #3 just because I do it to all my 1911's. Filed a guide notch into the slide stop. Line up this notch on the detent pin and press, it guides right in. You can feel when its lined up. Reduces the dreaded idiot scratch.

#4 came to my attention because it LOCKED UP on me. At FreeState I couldn't see that it was just because the slide stop walked out. Was obvious in bright light. Took it apart and looked at the slide stop where the detent pin should help retain the pin. No significant angle or notch present. The slide stop stays in just because its in ... DUH. Filed an appropriate notch where the detent pin touches the pin when its full in.

Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates
    As you can see from the pics, its not a true 1911 action. Sort of a blend between 1911 and HiPower.

Recoil is much worse than I had hoped for. Might be because it does not use locking lugs between the barrel and slide. Even some much less expensive .380's use lugs.

dist1646

Ultimate Member
    May 1, 2012
    Eldersburg
    Thanks for the pics and the description of the mods you made. Seems like they tried to get the 1911 look but, went about like a bunch of penny pinchers. I started to make a reduced size version of the 1911 way back in school but never completed it. Maybe I'll get around to making one some day.

Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates
    Thanks for the pics and the description of the mods you made. Seems like they tried to get the 1911 look but, went about like a bunch of penny pinchers. I started to make a reduced size version of the 1911 way back in school but never completed it. Maybe I'll get around to making one some day.

They took the cheap axx Black Label 1911-22 and gave it just enough guts to shoot .380

If someone gets a baby Rock, I'd like to compare the 2 side by side

59f100292

May 20, 2012
    Any one know of a range in md that has one of these to rent? My gf is interested in one but I want her to shoot it before buying.

Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates
    Any one know of a range in md that has one of these to rent? My gf is interested in one but I want her to shoot it before buying.

I can meet you at a range and you and gf can try mine.

I doubt any shop in MD has one, much less one they'd rent.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Sarca

Latest threads

Top Bottom