• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    Well my SKS deer rifle is getting there.

Norinco SOG barreled receiver. No idea who magazine. Russian Tula bolt and bolt carrier. No idea who FCG, maybe Yugo (or if Norinco there are slight changes in the manufacture of a couple of the parts. Forged housing rather than stamped). Also no idea who stock (maybe Yugo?).

It took a lot of fitting on the reciever stud and lots that holds the FCG in through the trigger guard. At first it wouldn’t snap in at all. Then it wouldn’t snap in well, and wouldn’t fit in to the stock at all. A bit of time with a file and sand paper and then reblued and tight as a...

Well it is a very tight fit.

The top cover off my other Norinco needs fitting to get on this one...which ain’t happening. Just getting a different top cover eventually. But with it on and the guide rod and spring out of my working Norinco, it cycles a dummy round from the mag, to chamber, hammer falls when the trigger is pulled and then it extracts and ejects the round with the bolt hold open working.

So yay! Getting closer. Still unsure what order my gun projects are going to go. I am tempted to get the gas parts and new cover so I can have a 2nd working SKS as I’ve got less than $100 in parts left I need.

At the same time, the final build list includes a rear sight pic mount, scout scope and synthetic stock. Which is more like $150-200 of extra parts on top of the gas parts and top cover.

My AR-10 on the other hand needs about $200 of parts to be done. And I have no working AR-10s...

Probably finish the AR-10. It’s been languishing (in part because my stupid ass bought up the SOG barreled receiver and then decided to get some harder to find parts and now also got a G19 80%. At least that WILL wait a long time).

Attachments

• A8E4E580-FF3E-4E6A-9731-18E744815EF9.jpg
      A8E4E580-FF3E-4E6A-9731-18E744815EF9.jpg
      169.3 KB · Views: 351

Hecktor Peabody

Boris Badinov
    Aug 22, 2018
    Southeastern PA
    Looks like a fun project!

Trigger group and stock can usually be identified by serial number styles if there are any. And any proof stamps on the stock might be clues to national origin.

Stamped trigger group would be chinese. If its milled than it could be chinese or Yugoslavian. Many of the preban chinese imports had no serial numbers on various parts, and many of the yugo trigger groups are blank or ep'd.

Are bayonets legal in MD?

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    Looks like a fun project!

Trigger group and stock can usually be identified by serial number styles if there are any. And any proof stamps on the stock might be clues to national origin.

Stamped trigger group would be chinese. If its milled than it could be chinese or Yugoslavian. Many of the preban chinese imports had no serial numbers on various parts, and many of the yugo trigger groups are blank or ep'd.

Are bayonets legal in MD?

They are legal in MD. But IMHO, just get in the way a bit and make the rifle front heavy. Since my parts mixer SKS is intended as a deer rifle with a synthetic stock, it’ll definitely have no bayonet. I don’t plan to grind off the bayonet mount on either.

My complete Norinco is all parts matching as near as I can tell with FCG, magazine and a few other parts (bolt I think?) serialized and matching the receiver (well, the parts have 6 digit serials that match the last 6 of the receivers S/N, which is a very late 8-digit serial).

The FCG and magazine for the parts mixer have no serial numbers on them. I will look over everything closer, but I didn’t notice any stamps, proofs or etchings on the mag, FCG or stock that would identify them.

Hecktor Peabody

Boris Badinov
    Aug 22, 2018
    Southeastern PA
    They are legal in MD. But IMHO, just get in the way a bit and make the rifle front heavy. Since my parts mixer SKS is intended as a deer rifle with a synthetic stock, it’ll definitely have no bayonet. I don’t plan to grind off the bayonet mount on either.

My complete Norinco is all parts matching as near as I can tell with FCG, magazine and a few other parts (bolt I think?) serialized and matching the receiver (well, the parts have 6 digit serials that match the last 6 of the receivers S/N, which is a very late 8-digit serial).

The FCG and magazine for the parts mixer have no serial numbers on them. I will look over everything closer, but I didn’t notice any stamps, proofs or etchings on the mag, FCG or stock that would identify them.

I can't see the bayo slot in the stock, but the pot belly foreend means its probably cut for a blade bayo -- which would make national origin hard to identify.

Romanian stocks are made from beech and often identifiable by the tell tale freckling or scaling in the wood grain and usually multiple serial stamps.

Many of the recent Chinese guns from Albania were also in beech replacement stocks-- many of these had no serial number and no proof marks in the wood.

Yugo m59 stocks are elm, and usually pretty easy to spot by the stripe-like grain and finish.

Does MD require a limit on mag capacity for SA hunting rifles? Any limitations on ammo types-- like soft points or hollow points only?

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Typical SKS accuracy = Minute of Whitetail . Depending on context that can be a slam , a compliment, or a simple statement of fact .

In the OP's stated context, it's a good thing .

Hecktor Peabody

Boris Badinov
    Aug 22, 2018
    Southeastern PA
    I hope you are going to be close when you shoot your deer. SKS's are not known for very tight groups even with handloads.

Not the most accurate platform by any means, but designed to hit a man sized target dependably out to 300 yards.

Since its a project rifle, it might be worth it to free float the barrel and bed the action inletting.

Saw a video on youtube with consistent 400 and 600 yard shots on a steel gong-- forget the size. But the video poster was quite surprised at the results. Standard steel case Russian ammo out to 300 yards and Lapua ammo for the 400 and 600 yard shots. The only problem he seemed to have was that he was measuring in yards not meters when sighting in. Once he realized the mistake, the longer range shots got more consistent.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    Not the most accurate platform by any means, but designed to hit a man sized target dependably out to 300 yards.

Since its a project rifle, it might be worth it to free float the barrel and bed the action inletting.

Saw a video on youtube with consistent 400 and 600 yard shots on a steel gong-- forget the size. But the video poster was quite surprised at the results. Standard steel case Russian ammo out to 300 yards and Lapua ammo for the 400 and 600 yard shots. The only problem he seemed to have was that he was measuring in yards not meters when sighting in. Once he realized the mistake, the longer range shots got more consistent.

Yeah, I plan to do what I can to accurize it. My Norinco witha tech sight thinner front sight and worked over stock is managing 2.5” 5-shot groups at 100yds with Wolf FMJ and Red Army FMJBT. Which is minute of white tail to 200yds IMHO. From all I’ve read I’ve seen a few claim ~2MOA accuracy for some lucky guys and the worst I’ve seen/heard of was about 4.5MOA (tossing out ones that had obviously identifiable issues, like a corroded barrel). If it’ll shoot under 3MOA I will be happy and 2MOA I will do happy dances. Scope is more for lower light shooting. Other than tritium sights, even fiber sights I typically can’t see well enough to be willing to take a shot more than about 15 or so minutes before dawn or after sundown. I’ve had deer in my scope at first light (30 minutes before dawn) where there is no way with irons (unless you are talking like a 10-20yd shot) I would take a shot, but I could see them well enough with a scope. Well, also speed. I can within reason line up a snap shot in about a second or two with a scope and be very confident of my accuracy, but irons for the same level of accuracy is probably 4-6 seconds to ensure I’ve got everything nice and lined up and all.

That said, I look at it as a within 150yd deer rifle. So far my furthest shot on a deer has been about 75-80yds...

So...

Maryland doesn’t care about capacity for deer and bear, but you can’t have more than 8 total loaded in the rifle or shotgun when hunting them. They require “ammunition of expanding construction”.

I’ve got a box of Hornady steel match which are SST bullets, PPU soft points and something else soft pointed I think. Also some Hornady Black I think it is. I have to check, but I’ve got about 15 kinds of 7.62x39 with at least 3 or 4 that count as legitimately expanding construction and not “hollow point”.

Though I don’t intend to deer hunt with either rifle this year. Next year I hope to. This year I am taking out my 18” 6.5 grendel AR and maybe my .308 Sako (again).

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    You've pretty much answered your own questions , at least as to accuracy requirements and expectations, and which sighting methods work best * for you * .

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    They're not that bad . But let's say that the stock iron sights are not the limiting factor for accuracy .

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    angel45z

Latest threads

Top Bottom