• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • KJackson

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 3, 2017
    Carroll County
    I have seen many neat deals online for guns, but have wondered about having it shipped to my local FFL who is also a LGS. I know this sounds like a stupid question, but do they get upset if you ask them to receive a gun that you are buying from someone else when they sell the same thing? For example, there is a thread here in the depot about Palmetto selling the Ruger American 9mm for $250. The FFL that I would be having it shipped to also sells it, but has it listed for over $200 more. Just wondering what kind of reaction I would receive trying to set up that deal.

ClutchyMcClutcherson

Aug 29, 2016
    Odenton, MD
    I would think since they’re getting a transfer fee they probably wouldn’t care. Obviously it’s better for local businesses if you buy directly from them but that’s the power of being a consumer. If they say they’ll transfer for you and you’d rather buy online then go for it. If they don’t go to another LGS that’s good with doing it.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    I would think since they’re getting a transfer fee they probably wouldn’t care. Obviously it’s better for local businesses if you buy directly from them but that’s the power of being a consumer. If they say they’ll transfer for you and you’d rather buy online then go for it. If they don’t go to another LGS that’s good with doing it.

This. Their FFL, they can say no. Don’t get pissy about it and they probably won’t be pissy with you. Some LGS won’t transfer something (new) that they also sell in their shop. Some will.

I would expect you’ll need to buy their barrel lock or bring your own. Don’t expect them to loan you one. Just FYI.

PS I hate asking that kind of stuff so when I’ve transferred things, it has only been stuff they didn’t have for sale. But I know a few guys who buy stuff all the time and have it transferred. A lot of times though you are talking saving $50 or $60. Maybe a whole $100 by buying it online. Then you have $15-25 in shipping and then maybe $40-60 in transfer fees and possibly needing to buy a $15-20 barrel lock.

Where as buying it from the LGS is $100 more, but no tacked on transfer fees, they have it there that day and can start the 7-day wait and they might loan you the barrel lock to return the next day. Oh and no shipping.

Now of course if shipping is free, you have a barrel lock and they are willing to do the transfer for cheap...buy online!

Just mentioning a lot of times it might not be as much of a deal as you thought (why I still haven’t gotten a 92s, as I know it is probably going to run me $100 extra over sticker price when all is said and done).

I have seen many neat deals online for guns, but have wondered about having it shipped to my local FFL who is also a LGS. I know this sounds like a stupid question, but do they get upset if you ask them to receive a gun that you are buying from someone else when they sell the same thing? For example, there is a thread here in the depot about Palmetto selling the Ruger American 9mm for $250. The FFL that I would be having it shipped to also sells it, but has it listed for over $200 more. Just wondering what kind of reaction I would receive trying to set up that deal.

New MDS IP Masada Tactical (Pikesville) has the following policy...
    If it is something they stock and sell at a competitive price, they will not do outside transfers. Three examples:
    1- You found Firearm X for $499 online and they have it in stock for $529, they will not do an outside transfer.
    2- I bought a S&W Shield from PSA for $275 (minus $75 rebate). They acknowledged knowing about the PSA deal and said their cost was well over PSA's retail- they did the transfer.
    3- Any oddball gun can be transferred there.

That is one shop's policy. As others have stated, check with the local FFL before buying online.

EDIT- For a $250 Ruger American, I would talk to Baltimore's Best Pawn or take the trip to the other end of 795 and talk to Masada. (Masada's transfers are cheaper, but involves an additional 45 minute travel time x2)

CMOS

One ragged donut hole
    Nov 13, 2009
    MoCo
    What Lazarus said. The mail order to FFL thing mostly helps on high dollar items where margins can be a few hundred dollars and it might be harder to obtain the less common item locally.

davsco

Ultimate Member
    Oct 21, 2010
    Loudoun, VA
    on gunbroker there is a page where FFL's are listed that accept transfers, think it's by zip code. great way to find someone local who welcomes transfers, and it usually lists their rates so easy to shop around. of course, you should def call the intended shop first.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Consult your prospective FFLs first. Policies and fees vary.

Figure in shipping and transfer fees ( +/- $50 ) , and popular currently produced guns need to be on screaming sale to come much ahead of shopping around with IP's .

DutchV

Ultimate Member
    Jul 8, 2012
    Some guys love it. They don't have to spend any time to track down the gun you want, or carry it on their credit card. Just handle some paperwork and take your money. Others don't seem to want that business. Gotta ask first.

I know Bud's for instance, has a list of FFL's that have already agreed to take shipments, and show their transfer fees in advance. I'd still call ahead, though.

Smokescreen

Knight who say Ni
    Feb 9, 2012
    Frederick, MD
    I will echo what most everyone has said so far.

1. Talk to your FFL or FFLs to see what their policies are.

2. Always let them know when you are purchasing something. Maybe they already have one in stock at a price close enough or maybe what you want isn't legal in MD. I can't tell you the number of times I've heard of people purchasing stuff sure that it was legal only to find out it wasn't and now have another bag of worms to deal with.

3. Just because a website (like Buds or Gunbroker) has an FFL and their information listed, it doesn't mean they are accurate. I've found that some FFLs no longer exist but since their license hasn't expired, they are still listed or other information listed was completely inaccurate (transfer rates, email address, phone number). Double check with the FFL and make the info matches a known good source (their website, business card, clerks information on the phone/in person).

KJackson

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 3, 2017
    Carroll County
    Thanks for all the suggestions. In doing some checks for other FFL holders in my area, I found a couple stores in my area that I did not know about.

ted76

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 20, 2013
    Frederick
    Call or PM Brian (FFBWMD), with South Carroll Sporting Goods, He's an IP here. I'm sure that he will do the transfer, just make sure tell him that you are a member here.
    I think that he will do the transfer for a reasonable price. He is very easy to do business with, I just did a transfer thru him, from a PA. dealer, for a pistol that I found at the York show.

https://www.mdshooters.com/showthread.php?t=93027

:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    As has been said, talk to your LGS. Some shops will discount to get closer.

One shop I use will even order things for me at a good price.

And they do transfers if they cannot get something at a reasonable price.

Czechnologist

Concerned Citizen
    Mar 9, 2016
    It's going to vary shop to shop. Best to ask before buying online.

I agree. It depends on the shop. Most aren't going to care because they'll, at least, get $40-60 out of you for the transfer fee. That's not bad for ten minutes work.

Other places get so butt hurt and offended that they'll hold a grudge. There's one IP here I will not patronize again because of the way they behaved when I used them to transfer guns I bought online and locally, from an individual. Nevermind the fact that I had already spent several thousand dollars with them. It was like if I didn't buy from them, I could just go screw myself.

Now, I use either Bob at Gunrunners here in Frederick or Dan at Baltimore's Best Pawn for anything I buy online/from an individual. It's always best to call your local FFL and give them the head's-up before you buy and to make sure they're going to be there when the seller contacts them for a copy of their FFL.

elkySS

Jul 5, 2014
    Middletown, MD
    Shipping to an FFL

As an FFL and a small GSO, I have always been willing to perform the firearms transfers. I realize the on sites like "GB" that I cannot compete with the prices, some of the prices are cheaper than I can buy from my wholesaler. If there is an item I can compete with I am willing to work with the purchaser, if not, I get paid for the transfer. No big deal.

TheOriginalMexicanBob

Ultimate Member
    Jul 2, 2017
    Sun City West, AZ
    While any gun store would prefer to sell something from inventory, doing a transfer is really found money for them. For simply processing paperwork and storing the firearm for a week (if it's a handgun), it's providing a customer a service...a customer who hopefully will continue to do business with them. Of course, doing this won't keep them in business as there's no profit in it compared to selling inventory...but it does make for good customer relations and helps to offset at least some operating costs.

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    I'm sure it is different up here, but I always try to work with my local shops. If I find something online, I'll show them, if they can come close, I'll buy it from them, if they can't then they have posted and set transfer fees. I like dealing with Trop and Lanco tactical(both in Elizabethtown, PA), In the case of current production guns, or receivers, I tell them what I want, they call me in a day or two with a price and availability, or if they couldn't find it. In a couple instances where they were out of stock, or couldn't get something, they had me order it, and they did the transfer for the $10 state fee only, and didn't charge their usual and reasonable fee of $35-$50

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    a while back, I know Engage in Rockville would not if it is a gun they stock or can order for you. I understand their reasoning.

I don't take food to a restaurant and ask them to cook it or go to a car dealer with parts and ask them to install them

But YMMV.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    a while back, I know Engage in Rockville would not if it is a gun they stock or can order for you. I understand their reasoning.

I don't take food to a restaurant and ask them to cook it or go to a car dealer with parts and ask them to install them

But YMMV.

I’ve taken parts to the dealership and asked them to install them. I still pay the mechanics hours which makes both him and the dealership money. I also understand when the dealership says no (so I usually pay the mechanic “after hours” to do the work).

That said I can and do do 90% of the work on my cars and cook 90% of my food. Can’t do that with firearm transfers (unless a C&R or private local longgun sale).

Money is money and unless a business is so busy that it would displace better paying work...so what if maybe it has lower margins in profit.

Yeah, it kind of is a bad business move to turn the work down unless the business is assuming some kind of risk it wouldn’t otherwise.

Which yes, could be if you supply the part and it breaks right away then you are possibly hassling the dealership or mechanic of it was the work and not the part that was the problem.

Or for an LGS if you order a gun and you fail NICS/background check now the LGS has to deal with a gun you can’t take possession of.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom