• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Matlack

Scribe
    Dec 15, 2008
    We are talking about traveling with them, not carrying one. I don’t believe there is any duty to inform in any state in this case. Never consent to a search, don’t give any more information than your drivers license

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That has been the general legal advice from lawyers forever. The key to their advice is not accessible.

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    Don't take advice from a forum on legal issues......... well except for this advice about not taking advice...........

Your advise is completely wrong on all counts....

Some states have a duty to inform,

Only if you are carrying concealed. There is absolutely no state that has duty to inform when transporting firearms.

some states give the po po the ability to search if they have a reasonable suspicion you have a gun on your person.

Yep, they do, but a traffic stop DOES NOT meet that level of suspicion.

Read the law, contact a lawyer with questions.

TD

This is the only piece of advise you got right.

miles71

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Jul 19, 2009
    Belcamp, Md.
    The paranoia towards police is staggering sometimes.

I read and review the firearms laws almost weekly, they are not easy to understand and many are just silly, but they are The laws. I also have long conversations with friends in law enforcement I am fortunate enough to be able to talk to. The majority would rather answer your questions than have you get in trouble.

I Revert to my first statement, get advice from a lawyer, a LEO, or read the law yourself. Don’t take legal advice from an Internet forum

TD

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    If you’re talking about an SUV or Truck- cover the load- tarp or blanket. Plain sight can be PC as well as be a risk for robbery or theft from the vehicle.

If you want to be protected under FOPA, then either the firearms or the ammo must be in a locked case, if there is no trunk.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    in the storage area of the vehicle, typically in the rear of it.

I have always put them at the bottom so they are not immediately accessible and area not immediately visible. It is still perfectly legal to take them in an a vehicle whose storage area is not separate from the cabin of the vehicle. IANAL

My point is, if you transit states, and want the protections under FOPA 86, you need to follow the requirements of FOPA.

If you do not care, carry them anyway you want.

huesmann

n00b
    Mar 23, 2012
    Silver Spring, MD
    A friend of mine uses guitar cases (the rectangular kind not the old acoustic kind) with a guitar in the top one.
    One of those long Pelicans that are used for electric guitars: https://www.pelican.com/us/en/discover/1745-long-case/

(well, lookit that, one of the pics is with gun stuff in it)

Instead of plastering it with Colt/LWRC/whatever stickers, plaster with Marshall/Gibson/Fender etc. stickers.

Matlack

Scribe
    Dec 15, 2008
    My point is, if you transit states, and want the protections under FOPA 86, you need to follow the requirements of FOPA.

If you do not care, carry them anyway you want.

Excuse me? You dont need to get ignorant over something when discussing it. If you think I am wrong provide a citation and not just your conjecture. Better yet, here is the law as written from FOPA:

"§ 926A. Interstate transportation of firearms
    "Any person not prohibited by this chapter from transporting,
    shipping, or receiving a firearm shall be entitled to transport an
    unloaded, not readily accessible firearm in interstate commerce
    notwithstanding any provision of any legislation enacted, or any
    rule or regulation prescribed by any State or political subdivision
    thereof".

Doesnt say that if you are driving an SUV with no trunk it must be cased. It says, not readily accessible. Now if you have judicial precedent that imposes that, I would be happy to read it and learn something new. Otherwise, dont be a dick. Either way, I suggested a case that does not suggest what is in it.

esqappellate

President, MSI
    Feb 12, 2012
    Excuse me? You dont need to get ignorant over something when discussing it. If you think I am wrong provide a citation and not just your conjecture. Better yet, here is the law as written from FOPA:

"§ 926A. Interstate transportation of firearms
    "Any person not prohibited by this chapter from transporting,
    shipping, or receiving a firearm shall be entitled to transport an
    unloaded, not readily accessible firearm in interstate commerce
    notwithstanding any provision of any legislation enacted, or any
    rule or regulation prescribed by any State or political subdivision
    thereof".

Doesnt say that if you are driving an SUV with no trunk it must be cased. It says, not readily accessible. Now if you have judicial precedent that imposes that, I would be happy to read it and learn something new. Otherwise, dont be a dick. Either way, I suggested a case that does not suggest what is in it.

That quote is incorrect. Here is the full quote of Section 926A:

Notwithstanding any other provision of any law or any rule or regulation of a State or any political subdivision thereof, any person who is not otherwise prohibited by this chapter from transporting, shipping, or receiving a
    firearm shall be entitled to transport a firearm for any lawful purpose from any place where he may lawfully possess and carry such firearm to any other place where he may lawfully possess and carry such firearm if, during
    such transportation the firearm is unloaded, and neither the firearm nor any ammunition being transported is readily accessible or is directly accessible from the passenger compartment of such transporting vehicle:
    Provided, That in the case of a vehicle without a compartment separate from the driver's compartment the firearm or ammunition shall be contained in a locked container other than the glove compartment or console.

shrinkwrap

MDS Supporter
    Apr 30, 2012
    MoCo
    I will be moving from MD to FL (by car mostly I95). What is the protocol for having firearms (unloaded) and ammunition in your car? I assume as long nothing is loaded and the ammo is in a separate bag or box that is ok?

If one were to get pulled over by law enforcement I assume you declare you are moving and have unloaded firearms and ammo in your vehicle?

Thanks in advance for all your great advice!!!!

~ Mark S.

Now worries about proper transport, as others have said. Congrats and Godspeed in your escape to freedom!

Matlack

Scribe
    Dec 15, 2008
    That quote is incorrect. Here is the full quote of Section 926A:

Notwithstanding any other provision of any law or any rule or regulation of a State or any political subdivision thereof, any person who is not otherwise prohibited by this chapter from transporting, shipping, or receiving a
    firearm shall be entitled to transport a firearm for any lawful purpose from any place where he may lawfully possess and carry such firearm to any other place where he may lawfully possess and carry such firearm if, during
    such transportation the firearm is unloaded, and neither the firearm nor any ammunition being transported is readily accessible or is directly accessible from the passenger compartment of such transporting vehicle:
    Provided, That in the case of a vehicle without a compartment separate from the driver's compartment the firearm or ammunition shall be contained in a locked container other than the glove compartment or console.

You had me wondering what I did wrong, because I swore I grabbed it from .gov. In fact I grabbed it from govtrack.us. So yes, that is the correct current verbiage. So I stand corrected, that in the case of an SUV without a separate compartment, either the firearm OR ammunition must be locked. Not both.

lemmdus

Feb 24, 2015
    Guns unloaded and in a case. Ammo stored separate. If you get pulled over you have no duty to declare unless you are carrying on you.

JB01

Nov 11, 2017
    Does MD have specific requirements more stringent than those in "§ 926A? Thank you
    JB

Matlack

Scribe
    Dec 15, 2008
    Does MD have specific requirements more stringent than those in "§ 926A? Thank you
    JB

Yes, ammo in a magazine is considered a loaded firearm. And you may only go to and from designated locations. But if you are moving, it does not apply.

esqappellate

President, MSI
    Feb 12, 2012
    Yes, ammo in a magazine is considered a loaded firearm. And you may only go to and from designated locations. But if you are moving, it does not apply.

Incorrect. In MD, the mag may be loaded as long as it isn't in the gun. See attached. Section 926A preempts MD law only for "transport." If you are not "transporting" then arguably Section 926A does not apply. Remember, Section 926A is an affirmative defense. You have to allege and prove that you have satisfied each of its elements.

Attachments

• AG Opinion Loaded mags.pdf
      37.5 KB · Views: 76

Matlack

Scribe
    Dec 15, 2008
    Incorrect. In MD, the mag may be loaded as long as it isn't in the gun. See attached. Section 926A preempts MD law only for "transport." If you are not "transporting" then arguably Section 926A does not apply. Remember, Section 926A is an affirmative defense. You have to allege and prove that you have satisfied each of its elements.

I haven't seen that opinion before. However, dont opinions from SA become null once they leave office? I remember reading that somewhere.

esqappellate

President, MSI
    Feb 12, 2012
    I haven't seen that opinion before. However, dont opinions from SA become null once they leave office? I remember reading that somewhere.

Bowen is not a States Attorney; he is from the State AG's office (Frosh). These kinds of informal opinions are not binding and are not the law, they are merely an interpretation of the law. That is also true for formal AG opinions. In this case, Bowen is merely opining on the state of MD law as he reads it.

Matlack

Scribe
    Dec 15, 2008
    Bowen is not a States Attorney; he is from the State AG's office (Frosh). These kinds of informal opinions are not binding and are not the law, they are merely an interpretation of the law. That is also true for formal AG opinions. In this case, Bowen is merely opining on the state of MD law as he reads it.

I understand that. SA and AG opinions are basically, we will/won't prosecute that because we read the law this way. Hence my question, don't SA opinions become null once they leave office? If you are prosecuted for something, the judge doesn't give 2 craps what the opinion said. I have repeatedly said, the only opinion that matters is the judge before you. And I stand by that. It doesn't matter what precedent was set before either. He can change precedent or overwrite the law.

esqappellate

President, MSI
    Feb 12, 2012
    I understand that. SA and AG opinions are basically, we will/won't prosecute that because we read the law this way. Hence my question, don't SA opinions become null once they leave office? If you are prosecuted for something, the judge doesn't give 2 craps what the opinion said. I have repeatedly said, the only opinion that matters is the judge before you. And I stand by that. It doesn't matter what precedent was set before either. He can change precedent or overwrite the law.

Well, no, as they had no binding legal effect to begin with. The SA could change his mind tomorrow and he/she can't be estopped from prosecuting. And the judge need not give it any weight either. What those opinions ARE good for is that they may bear on the defendant's mens rea where mens rea is relevant under that statutory scheme. See e.g., Chow v. State and MD Code Public Safety 5-144.

ehall

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Mar 19, 2020
    One of those long Pelicans that are used for electric guitars: https://www.pelican.com/us/en/discover/1745-long-case/
    These

fender case.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom