• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • duckduckgoose

Sep 7, 2016
    Annapolis, MD
    I've got about 2 gallons of old gasoline from last year that I forgot to use up before I put away the lawn mower for the winter. I've been trying to get rid of it since spring, but Anne Arundel County keeps cancelling their hazmat disposal days at the recycling centers. Any ideas? I'm in Annapolis, if that matters.

Should I just pour it in to a 5gallon bucket and let it evaporate?

DutchV

Ultimate Member
    Jul 8, 2012
    I've been usng last year's gas in my cheap push mower. It seems fine.

MattTheGunslinger

Ultimate Member
    Jul 26, 2010
    Baltimore county
    I dont know how your gas was stored, but I have used 2 year old gas that has been stored in very air tight steel cans inside my shed with no problem for the last 5-6 years. I use it in my truck, mixed with half a tank of fresh gas and my riding lawn mower. I guess it depends on the condition of the gas though. When I popped my cans open the gas smelled just like the day I bought it.

Bullfrog

Ultimate Member
    Oct 8, 2009
    Carroll County

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    I dont know how your gas was stored, but I have used 2 year old gas that has been stored in very air tight steel cans inside my shed with no problem for the last 5-6 years. I use it in my truck, mixed with half a tank of fresh gas and my riding lawn mower. I guess it depends on the condition of the gas though. When I popped my cans open the gas smelled just like the day I bought it.

Wouldn't that make the gas 7 or 8 years old? I'm confused.

Or 5 or 6 years ago, you had some 2 year old gas and have been using it the last 5 or 6 years? And if that's the case, exactly how much gas is it that you haven't used it all yet?

Matlack

Scribe
    Dec 15, 2008
    The filter is the best idea to remove any potential water. Then add some seafoam before adding to your car or mower.

Also, your mower is cheaper to fix than your car. So maybe use it in that rather than your car.

MattTheGunslinger

Ultimate Member
    Jul 26, 2010
    Baltimore county
    Wouldn't that make the gas 7 or 8 years old? I'm confused.

Or 5 or 6 years ago, you had some 2 year old gas and have been using it the last 5 or 6 years? And if that's the case, exactly how much gas is it that you haven't used it all yet?

Sorry, to clear it up, I keep a few cans of gas for my generator on hand at all times. Every 1-2 years I cycle through the gas. I have been practicing this habit for 5-6 years now with no issues.

coopthink

Jul 10, 2020
    I've had this issue with old gas with my generator, but as others have said, I add it to new gas judiciously and try and use Stabil as much as I can.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    I no longer use Stabil.

I use StarTron additive. Protects the fuel system against the alcohol, also stablizes the fuel.

And like others here, I pour it in the tank of a vehicle with 1/2 tank or more.

spoon059

Ultimate Member
    Jun 1, 2018
    I no longer use Stabil.

I use StarTron additive. Protects the fuel system against the alcohol, also stablizes the fuel.

And like others here, I pour it in the tank of a vehicle with 1/2 tank or more.
    I really like startron too. I've been using it for years now. No untreated gas hits my mower, lawn tractor, log splitter, pressure washer or snow blower. I got the pressure washer and snow blower for free because they didn't work... changed carbs on both and they worked immediately. Since I've had them, they've been flawless.

Sent from my SM-N970U using Tapatalk

coopthink

Jul 10, 2020
    I really like startron too. I've been using it for years now. No untreated gas hits my mower, lawn tractor, log splitter, pressure washer or snow blower. I got the pressure washer and snow blower for free because they didn't work... changed carbs on both and they worked immediately. Since I've had them, they've been flawless.

Sent from my SM-N970U using Tapatalk

I'm almost out of Stabil and will try StarTron. Thanks, guys!

JB01

Nov 11, 2017
    I also keep treated gasoline for our generator. If the gasoline is not used, I add the old gas to my truck with a nearly full tank.
    JB

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom