• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • StillServing

I know NOTHING !
    Feb 1, 2011
    Calvert County
    OK, Complete AK Noob here. I've done some AR stuff from 80%, now would like to try my hand at an AK 80%. Have NO IDEA where to start. Any 80% / Parts kits to stay away from? Looking at a group buy w/ some other guys on Polish AK receiver blanks, but wanted to make sure we weren't starting out bad....

rob-cubed

In need of moderation
    Sep 24, 2009
    Holding the line in Baltimore
    OK, Complete AK Noob here. I've done some AR stuff from 80%, now would like to try my hand at an AK 80%. Have NO IDEA where to start. Any 80% / Parts kits to stay away from? Looking at a group buy w/ some other guys on Polish AK receiver blanks, but wanted to make sure we weren't starting out bad....

Simple answer, get a finished receiver and a parts kit with a pre-headspaced chromed barrel (AK Builder and Romy G kits are usually available). Best way to cut your teeth. But still more involved than an 80% AR build even with all that done for you.

Finishing a receiver will take significantly more time and tooling. Pressing components and drilling a virgin barrel will take even more. Just demilling a parts kit can be a PITA. So start with an "easy" build and see if you are happy with the quality and investment before committing to doing a more involved build.

armed ferret

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Sep 23, 2008
    McDoogal's
    typical AK build on a numbers-matching (meaning headspace isn't an issue), original-barrel kit on a complete NDS receiver is around 8-10 hours from demill of old parts through refinish (assuming you do it correctly by parkerizing and then using something like duracoat or cerakote or molyresin etc.).

It's not like an AR-15 where everything is already done and you just screw shit together. I really am starting to get sick of the people who assemble an AR-15 and assume the AK is the same thing.

awptickes

Jun 26, 2011
    N. Of Perryville
    typical AK build on a numbers-matching (meaning headspace isn't an issue), original-barrel kit on a complete NDS receiver is around 8-10 hours from demill of old parts through refinish (assuming you do it correctly by parkerizing and then using something like duracoat or cerakote or molyresin etc.).

It's not like an AR-15 where everything is already done and you just screw shit together. I really am starting to get sick of the people who assemble an AR-15 and assume the AK is the same thing.

Yeah, I'll agree here. I spent over 14 hours on my first two kits. Second kit build was about 12 hours total.

Now I'm down to about 9 hours if it's completely de-milled already with a virgin barrel, and with just acetone cleaning and epoxy.

I helped a buddy build an AK, it's still sitting in my workshop. Took a little longer than he thought, lol, and that was after I convinced him to use an AK-Builder flat instead of one of those prebent 80% shells.

-Z/28-

I wanna go fast
    Dec 6, 2011
    Harford Co

So aside from demilling the trunnion and trigger guard, what else can we do in advance to prep and save time?

mvee

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 13, 2007
    Crofton
    I helped a buddy build an AK, it's still sitting in my workshop. Took a little longer than he thought, lol, and that was after I convinced him to use an AK-Builder flat instead of one of those prebent 80% shells.

Has any one sucessfully built one of those Polish blanks that you know of?

ejholt

Feb 6, 2013
    AK Build Party

I am interested in participating in an AK Build Party. I don't have any "AK specific tools" but can bring anything else needed.

Ed

Bernie

Jan 30, 2010
    Severna Park
    I have two side folders than need to be put together

I also am interest in a "AK47" build party. I have some of the tools and just need someone to give me a push in the right direction and I could finish it myself.

najnad

May 24, 2013
    Count me in for a MD build party...I am between Baltimore and DC....and have another friend who is wanting to do this too. Planning to do it later this summer.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom