• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Boom Boom

Hold my beer. Watch this.
    Jul 16, 2010
    Carroll
    My 4in M65 was particularly "fast" , and actually slightly faster than my 6 in , which was on the slow side of average .

Do you recall how they compare in accuracy? Makes me wonder if the M65 has a slower twist rate and loses less velocity in the barrel.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    The 4in M65 gave only average accuracy , 1.5in @ 25yds with known quality ammo, the 6in was a Dan Wesson , 'nuff said.

That's not an indictment of K Frames generally , I've tested some that were sub 1.0in , and plenty of 1.25-ish of K frames and Service Sixes . And the velocity thing wasn't catagoric for S&Ws , it was specific gun .

Probably the cumulation of tolerences of chamber, throat, forcing cone, bore, etc that gave the higher than expected vels, were mixed combination for best accuracy . But 1.5in was plenty for its intended purpose, and with same velocities, I stopped using the DW as duty gun, and had greater flexibility of holsters with the M65 .

Czechnologist

Concerned Citizen
    Mar 9, 2016
    For Guitar Nick , and others in that situation:

You shoot 2in K Frames so well , because the sight radius is Shorter . This lets vision of a certain age have a clearer picture on the rear sight while properly focused on the front sight .

I remain in lust with my 2in K Frames.

That's something I never really considered but may explain my recent interest in compact and semi-compact handguns. I seem to shoot them just as well as their full size counterparts and sometimes a little better, to be honest.

Cold Steel

Sep 26, 2006
    Bethesda, MD
    I have a GP100 with a 6", and while I really like it at the range, it is pretty unwieldy to lug around and probably a net negative in a CQ/HD situation. Plus, the wife can't keep the muzzle on plane if she had to.

I'm tempted to change it out to a shorter option.

For the Missus, I got her a 4" GP100, and she's much more comfortable there.
    I have to take the center position. On the one hand, I love the 4-inch models; on the other, the 6-inchers are better accuracy-wise.

That said, forget the Ruger GP-100. Those things are great if you're looking for a boat anchor, but they screwed the pooch after Bill passed. What they did was take off some of the weight from the grips by designing a firing pin retention slot and then putting the grip around it. It looks very much like the 686, but without the inherent accuracy. That's right, S&W not only designed the 686 to be a ringer for the Colt Python, it designed it to beat the Python up and down accuracy-wise. They did this with an unerring dedication to tolerances, something they still do today, and they got it right. Ruger, by messing up its algebra, took the steel from the back and moved it to the front, which was a good idea. They just should have tried it first. In doing what they did, they screwed up the balance of the gun. In fact, they just should of let the Security-Six alone.

Rugers have always been better at handling the heavier 158gr JHP/JSP fare, but not quite as good at the 125gr. The idea was that the lighter bullets are used for self defense while the heavier bullets are used for hunting. S&W figured out how to do both equally well. Plus the balance of their 686 is way better. I have two 6-inch 686s and one's a vintage model I'm keeping for collection purposes only. But my favorite 6-inch .357 is my Ruger Security-Six. That and the old Smith 66 were two fantastic revolvers!

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    As much as I love the Security/ Service/ Speed Six , the GP100 is perfectly serviceable. Balance preferences are subjective .

Magnumite

Ultimate Member
    Dec 17, 2007
    Harford County, Maryland
    While there are genersl physics involved, the last two posts indicate there is no right or wrong in the balance of a firearm. The preference of balance is subjective and will vary from one individual to another. If the OP could shoot fellow shooters’ samples of each, or rent each, that would be ideal. If only say a 4” gun is available to try, shoot it. If it feels like a little more weight up front would help, get the 6” and not the 4”. If shooting fast (safely please) strings is a goal the 6” tube is hard to beat. It is understood the OP doesn’t see this as a ccw.

I started out way back shooting handguns with only revolvers. The barrel lengths went from 6 to 7.5”. It was years before I bought a shorter tube gun, a 2 3/4” Security Six. It was fun, just not the utility and is basically a defense gun. I bought the 4” GP 100 when they first came out. Shot it some and rarely shot it afterwards. I have determined the optimum revolver barrel length for me is 5-6”, with preferences for heavy underlug barrels. I bought two M28’s one a six inch, one a four inch. The 6” was great, shot like a laser. The 4” I asked myself, “Why?”. OP’s experience may well go the other way.

RonRJA

Oct 29, 2014
    Anne Arundel County
    6in 586

OP, I was in the same situation as you about two years ago. My dream gun was always a 4in 686. Well, I ended up finding a 6in 586-1 in the classifieds section here on MDShooters and decided to get it because the price was right ($500) and it was in immaculate shape and included the original wood grips. I will say this, I absolutely love that gun and it has the best trigger of any gun I own. I saw earlier in this thread, and have also read this before elsewhere, that the 686/586 was introduced to be a "Python killer" and the quality assurance was top notch when they were introduced. I can very much see that with my -1 version. That being said, there have been times where I wished it was a 4in because I do feel it is front heavy, but man I wouldn't trade that gun in for a brand new one any day.

Attachments

• 586.jpg
      586.jpg
      100 KB · Views: 195
    • 586_2.jpg
      586_2.jpg
      105.5 KB · Views: 183

danb

dont be a dumbass
    Feb 24, 2013
    google is your friend, I am not.
    That being said, there have been times where I wished it was a 4in because I do feel it is front heavy, but man I wouldn't trade that gun in for a brand new one any day.

Yes, you are sick of that gun and wish it were 4 in. That was not the gun you were looking for. I will be happy to lighten your load and take it off you so you can fund a 4" :D

SolomonsCommune

Tomato Grower
    Mar 28, 2013
    Calvert County
    Yes, you are sick of that gun and wish it were 4 in. That was not the gun you were looking for. I will be happy to lighten your load and take it off you so you can fund a 4" :D

Wait a damn minute.

"That is also not the gun YOU were looking for, you just thought you were. SolomonsCommune is in need of a 500 dollar 6" 586 revolver and you will do anything and everything in your power to help him find one. "

RonRJA

Oct 29, 2014
    Anne Arundel County
    OP, I was in the same situation as you about two years ago. My dream gun was always a 4in 686. Well, I ended up finding a 6in 586-1 in the classifieds section here on MDShooters and decided to get it because the price was right ($500) and it was in immaculate shape and included the original wood grips. I will say this, I absolutely love that gun and it has the best trigger of any gun I own. I saw earlier in this thread, and have also read this before elsewhere, that the 686/586 was introduced to be a "Python killer" and the quality assurance was top notch when they were introduced. I can very much see that with my -1 version. That being said, there have been times where I wished it was a 4in because I do feel it is front heavy, but man I wouldn't trade that gun in for a brand new one any day.

Also worth noting, this gun is about a year older then I am (inside the grips it says Oct 1987) and I fully expect it to outlive me. It's my first blued gun so I did a lot of research on how to care for and protect the blueing.

TheOriginalMexicanBob

Ultimate Member
    Jul 2, 2017
    Sun City West, AZ
    Date on the inside of the grips reads Oct 1987

The firing pin is on the hammer as well. Not that it really matters to me but I read that people seem to like that from the research I did on it.

I think people like the hammer mounted firing pin better because it's classic S&W (though others have used it)...but the frame mounted firing pin is at least theoretically better. It just depends on how one views it.

chilipeppermaniac

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    I have a number of experiences with barrel lengths regarding handguns. Likely the only one I regret is my 7 inch barrel Super Blackhawk. The balance seems very muzzle heavy.
    I considered getting the barrel exchanged by Ruger to the shorter one but have yet to assess if that would increase recoil to a point of hindrance to accuracy etc.,

That being said, I have shot a GP100 with a 4.20 inch barrel and like it a lot. I have not ever shot a 6 inch .357 so this is an interesting topic. If I didn't think I'd use my .357 for defense or carry, I would likely shoot a 6 inch, for concealed or open carry, I'd likely opt for the 4 inch like I did.

chilipeppermaniac

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    On the flip side, I've got a .357/9mm 6.5" Blackhawk. The balance is superb.

My mistake, The barrel on my Superblackhawk is a full inch longer than your Blackhawk, BoomBoom. Mine is 7.5 inch, not 7 as I misremembered. If I may say so, it is possible the extra inch over your 6.5 makes a big difference balance wise. I also considered the shape of the single action Super Blackhawk type grip/frame might not be the best fit for my hand for one handed use. Having my offhand support to steady things is a whole different story.

Either way, none of this is a deterrent to my enjoying owning the SuperBlackhawk.

chilipeppermaniac

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Yeah, I have regrets. I regret selling my 6“ GP100 20 years ago... what a dumbass :sad20:

I am so glad to see there are so many GP100/ Security Six etc owners and former owners now that I began to read the thread from the beginning instead of the last page before I made my 1st post.
    And Yes that is a beautiful 586. I could see myself with one of those!!!
    Thumbs up~!!!!

Cold Steel

Sep 26, 2006
    Bethesda, MD
    The Security-Six was an incredibly designed gun. It's great to carry and it doesn't
    weigh one down so much that it can't go out on day trips. The heavier guns with
    the underlugs are good for the range, but not the trail or the camp or for hunting.
    I have a 6-inch 686, but I'd never carry it in the wilderness. I'd take my 6-inch
    Security-Six any day.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom