• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bob A

όυ φροντισ
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 11, 2009
    Whoever says there are 300,000,000 guns in the U.S. probably woefully underestimated the real number.

No kidding. That must really fill Frosh's depends.

I'm grateful to Frosh and O'Malley for the half-dozen EBRs they pushed me into buying.

Bob A

όυ φροντισ
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 11, 2009
    3% of Americans own half the firearms. I can believe it. Note the trend per home is falling.

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news...merican-adults-own-a-collective-133m-firearms

Well, maybe.

I'm not inclined to identify myself as a gun owner to pollsters, or neighbors, or random strangers.

Meanwhile, the media-driven attempt to stigmatize firearms ownership and encourage universal registration/banning will drive many more armed citizens into silence.

Current trends seem to suggest the ongoing arming of inner-city residents and women in general. The Guardian's statistics are flawed, and their slant against firearms is evident. They seem to have ignored the massive shift to Shall Issue/ Constitutional Carry, and its effect on overall crime rates, not to mention (and of course they will not mention) the demonstrable law-abiding nature of CCW carriers.

We no longer mention streets running with blood in the Wild Wild Flyover, because they failed to appear. But no worries; there's always going to be something splashy to vilify gun owners. 330,000,000 people in a country where homogeneity is now frowned on will generate enough friction to light a fire whenever the need for this sort of news is needed to boost The Cause.

DC-W

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 23, 2013
    ️‍
    Every time there’s a NICS report showing more gun sales, you can get there’s a voice that will gleefully claim and project that gun ownership is in decline.

When there’s less gun sales, they also gleefully claim and project gun ownership is on the decline.

NICS data is the most empirical guesstimation of what’s out there.

Until there’s a bureaucrat in every home counting them, there’s no real way of knowing just how many guns are in how many hands. Frankly, I’d rather keep it that way.

Schipperke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 19, 2013
    Every time there’s a NICS report showing more gun sales, you can get there’s a voice that will gleefully claim and project that gun ownership is in decline.

When there’s less gun sales, they also gleefully claim and project gun ownership is on the decline.

Until there’s a bureaucrat in every home counting them, there’s no real way of knowing just how many guns are in how many hands. Frankly, I’d rather keep it that way.

I've bought many used guns and had to wait seven days. Is that on a NICS report? Volume of transactions does not necessarily translate in to more supply. Equities markets are an excellent example of that.

Blacksmith101

Grumpy Old Man
    Jun 22, 2012
    I've bought many used guns and had to wait seven days. Is that on a NICS report? Volume of transactions does not necessarily translate in to more supply. Equities markets are an excellent example of that.

Not necessarily but the Firearms Commerce in the United States report does show increased supply. For the most recent five years of data reported it shows an increase in supply of firearms of 54,301,743. Newly manufactured firearms plus imported firearms less exports.

Schipperke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 19, 2013

Data doesn't care if one is gleefull either direction. More guns, lots of sales doesn't equal anyway to measure new gun owner rate of growth. There are always first time gun buyers of course. The rate of growth for first time gun buyers per capita is lower than that of the 1970's-90's. Prices now near remind me of the housing bubble. I believe the concentration of gun ownership as reported just from my personal anecdotes on quite a few people I know with >50 . I know guys with over 100, one in my family. You start taking numbers like that, it dramatically skews the stereotype that most Americans own guns. Another thing I can't figure, is what percent of the massive American gun collection has never been fired. I think many people buy guns as ornaments, and that too would support established owners just buying newer guns for collection. As far as new gun sales, I look at 10Q's, but again with prices dropping and falling revenue that doesn't equal less sales on a per piece basis, but falling prices does indicate falling demand.

Rus

MDS Supporter
    Nov 27, 2017
    No. Carroll County
    I see things a little differently. I see the libs using these firearms in many ways, but few of them will be legal. I know they don't understand all of the 2.4 gazillion gun laws for each and every state, much less the million federal laws. But I doubt they actually care if they follow the laws. These firearms will be passed along to whoever needs them, regardless of what state they're needed in. Won't matter if the person is restricted or not.

When it comes time that they feel they must use them, they won't care about any law, much less if they know what the laws are.

YMMV

I agree... Haven't they been arguing against, and too often ignoring, the good laws already ? That pattern won't change unless their perspective changes.

Blacksmith101

Grumpy Old Man
    Jun 22, 2012
    Data doesn't care if one is gleefull either direction. More guns, lots of sales doesn't equal anyway to measure new gun owner rate of growth. There are always first time gun buyers of course. The rate of growth for first time gun buyers per capita is lower than that of the 1970's-90's. Prices now near remind me of the housing bubble. I believe the concentration of gun ownership as reported just from my personal anecdotes on quite a few people I know with >50 . I know guys with over 100, one in my family. You start taking numbers like that, it dramatically skews the stereotype that most Americans own guns. Another thing I can't figure, is what percent of the massive American gun collection has never been fired. I think many people buy guns as ornaments, and that too would support established owners just buying newer guns for collection. As far as new gun sales, I look at 10Q's, but again with prices dropping and falling revenue that doesn't equal less sales on a per piece basis, but falling prices does indicate falling demand.

Link to data?

Jim12

Let Freedom Ring
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 30, 2013
    Mexico raises tariff on US pork to 20%, and now pork producers at a gathering in Des Moines are said to be in a state of high anxiety, per FBN.

Eat more bacon!

Schipperke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 19, 2013
    Keep those NIC's checks going!

http://money.cnn.com/2018/06/20/news/companies/american-outdoor-brands-earnings/index.html

http://ir.aob.com/phoenix.zhtml?p=irol-eventDetails&c=90977&eventID=5272103

Listen to the report, they claim they lead the market in handgun sales, but the overall market has been declining.

Ruger had a report 5/16/18 , same story declining damand and sales. I found this rather disturbing;

But there was some pain in 2017. We had a lot of attrition that we didn't replace folks. We were down over 700 heads in that five-quarter period. So that's a tremendous impact to all of our organizations as well as to a lot of those individual families.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom