• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bikebreath

R.I.P.
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 30, 2009
    in the bowels of Baltimore
    Of course I’m assuming a muzzle brake is the only way to reduce recoil. I’m not completely trusting of reviews, especially when someone here knows from experience. Any suggestions will be appreciated.

It’s a complete CMMG rifle, 16” barrel which came with muzzle device in pic below.

Attachments

• 65944777-6EF7-49C4-9202-945F5991CC50.jpeg
      65944777-6EF7-49C4-9202-945F5991CC50.jpeg
      24.6 KB · Views: 552

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    It’s gonna sound like I’m arguing with someone helping me, but looking at that isn’t making sense. I’m expecting slotting that will force the barrel down. That thing looks weird. (...and now I’m on the hate list).

A rising barrel can be due to poor technique as much anything else. :innocent0

This comp is super light. It pushes the properly mounted rifle straight rearward while at the same time, pushing the sound straight forward(your shooting neighbors will really appreciate that), down range.

When I shoot this gun, the sound is extremely quiet, as is the recoil. While wearing ear pro, the sound is almost as quiet as my suppressed 9mm AR pistol. It is a very tame shooting gun. :)

Last edited:

Bikebreath

R.I.P.
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 30, 2009
    Well since you brought it up, a rising barrel is more due to poor technique than anything else. There, I've said it. :innocent0

This comp is super light. It pushes the properly mounted rifle straight rearward while at the same time, pushing the sound straight forward(your shooting neighbors will really appreciate that), down range.

When I shoot this gun, the sound is extremely quiet, as is the recoil. While wearing ear pro, the sound is almost as quiet as my suppressed 9mm AR pistol. It is a very tame shooting gun.

You asked, so I told. :)

I’m a big boy and I can take my medicine. :thumbsup:

MifflinKid

Dec 30, 2010
    Howard County
    I have a Kaw Valley linear compensator on the AR-9 I built several years ago. It really cuts down on the sound when you're behind the gun. As for reduced recoil, I don't know. There isn't much recoil from a 124gr 9mm bullet. So I can't recommend you get one if that is your primary interest. I just can't perceive any difference.

However, I was shooting it at a range in Pennsylvania two years ago. A guy competing in a practical handgun match came walking by. He stopped and asked me what I was shooting. I told him it was an AR-9 I had built. He said "Really? It's sounds like a .22." It definitely reduces the sound that reaches you as you're shooting and the sound for those around you.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Muzzle Device 101 -

Muzzle devices * do somthing * with the gasses at the muzzle . Typical goals , which could be overlapping, or could be working against each other, typicall include reducing visable flash , directing the vector of muzzle blast, or pushing the muzzle in particular direction, generally down to counter muzzle flip.

The A2 , such as came stock on Bike's rifle is the yard stick everything else is compared . ( And a decent all around option, at outstanding value .

The Linear Compensator that Outrider linked has primary design goal of directing blast forewards, away from the shooter . These are the Bee's Knees for SBR, and for shooters generally who wise to minimize the sound level at their ears. But not what * I Think * Bike is looking for.

Muzzle Breaks and Compensators will as major feature reduce muzzle flip . The sugguested JP Enterprise will have a variety of such devices to minimize flip . Some of them are large and ugly , but they reduce flip.

But be aware that due to laws of physics, they will have less effect on a 16in 9x19 , than on a 5.56 , or other centerfire rifle . And a larger portion of felt recoil in a 9x19 will come from the recpricating of the really heavy buffer , than from the gas pressure at muzzle.

Also be aware that a device with maximum downforce , will also have increased muzzle flash, and noise directed to shooter. Once again less pronounced with a 16in 9x19 than a rifle cal , or shorty 9x19 .

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Muzzle Device 101 -

Muzzle devices * do somthing * with the gasses at the muzzle . Typical goals , which could be overlapping, or could be working against each other, typicall include reducing visable flash , directing the vector of muzzle blast, or pushing the muzzle in particular direction, generally down to counter muzzle flip.

The A2 , such as came stock on Bike's rifle is the yard stick everything else is compared . ( And a decent all around option, at outstanding value .

The Linear Compensator that Outrider linked has primary design goal of directing blast forewards, away from the shooter . These are the Bee's Knees for SBR, and for shooters generally who wise to minimize the sound level at their ears. But not what * I Think * Bike is looking for.

Muzzle Breaks and Compensators will as major feature reduce muzzle flip . The sugguested JP Enterprise will have a variety of such devices to minimize flip . Some of them are large and ugly , but they reduce flip.

But be aware that due to laws of physics, they will have less effect on a 16in 9x19 , than on a 5.56 , or other centerfire rifle . And a larger portion of felt recoil in a 9x19 will come from the recpricating of the really heavy buffer , than from the gas pressure at muzzle.

Also be aware that a device with maximum downforce , will also have increased muzzle flash, and noise directed to shooter. Once again less pronounced with a 16in 9x19 than a rifle cal , or shorty 9x19 .

...in a nut shell. :party29:

danb

dont be a dumbass
    Feb 24, 2013
    google is your friend, I am not.
    I have this style: https://www.venomdd.com/products/ar9-9mm-compensators

DSCN1260_1da78394-0ef3-4d45-99d8-80b36cc27620_1024x1024.JPG

I picked this mainly based on a really good review of about 60 AR10 and AR15 muzzle brakes on TTAG (see here for one of the series:http://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/2016/10/jeremy-s/ar-15-muzzle-brake-shootout-3/).

The Venom Defense brake is a) loud as **** b) looks badass (always important) and c) works. Any design similar to this will work - many of the winning designs for AR10 and AR15 are also made in 9mm. .Gas pressure at the muzzle is a lot lower for 9mm from a 16" barrel, so they will not work as well as one designed for a rifle caliber. (from a 16" barrel, 9mm has ~1/7 the pressure of 556 or 762). Anything that truly reduces recoil will be loud as **** because it redirects gasses back and to the side.

An alternative to reducing recoil is btw, a beefier stock. Adding weight to the stock is a time honored way to lower recoil. Or a limbsaver recoil pad.

Another alternative is to keep the stock firmly in your shoulder. I can shoot 308 all day no brake as long as I keep that shit tight. Or I can get sloppy and go home with a bruise.

Incidentally, I recently switched one of my rifles to a simple short BCM gunfighter mod 0, precisely because the brake was loud as **** and the recoil is after all not really that bad.

Bikebreath

R.I.P.
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 30, 2009
    I have one of these. It works, but not as well as my reloads. 147gr polymer coated lead bullet with 2.4gr of Titegroup. Almost zero dot movement on my Steel Challenge 9mm AR (the working one).

Interesting; do you use the same powder load in pistol and rifle? Maybe I’ll just use my reloads and a little more manly muscle on holding the rifle and stick with the A2.

Art3

Eqinsu Ocha
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 30, 2015
    Harford County
    I have this style: https://www.venomdd.com/products/ar9-9mm-compensators

DSCN1260_1da78394-0ef3-4d45-99d8-80b36cc27620_1024x1024.JPG

I picked this mainly based on a really good review of about 60 AR10 and AR15 muzzle brakes on TTAG (see here for one of the series:http://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/2016/10/jeremy-s/ar-15-muzzle-brake-shootout-3/).

The Venom Defense brake is a) loud as **** b) looks badass (always important) and c) works. Any design similar to this will work - many of the winning designs for AR10 and AR15 are also made in 9mm. .Gas pressure at the muzzle is a lot lower for 9mm from a 16" barrel, so they will not work as well as one designed for a rifle caliber. (from a 16" barrel, 9mm has ~1/7 the pressure of 556 or 762). Anything that truly reduces recoil will be loud as **** because it redirects gasses back and to the side.

An alternative to reducing recoil is btw, a beefier stock. Adding weight to the stock is a time honored way to lower recoil. Or a limbsaver recoil pad.

Another alternative is to keep the stock firmly in your shoulder. I can shoot 308 all day no brake as long as I keep that shit tight. Or I can get sloppy and go home with a bruise.

Incidentally, I recently switched one of my rifles to a simple short BCM gunfighter mod 0, precisely because the brake was loud as **** and the recoil is after all not really that bad.

Before I even started reading what you wrote under that pic, I cringed thinking, "Oooooh that looks loud!":D

SCARCQB

Get Opp my rawn, Plick!
    Jun 25, 2008
    Undisclosed location
    I got this from eBay . Tames recoil well. Zero muzzle flip and it’s threaded 1/2x28

The compensator reduces muzzle flip effectively that you won’t lose track of the red dot and target during firing.

Attachments

• 5D5AA606-662B-41F0-9714-FF7B7044C201.jpg
      5D5AA606-662B-41F0-9714-FF7B7044C201.jpg
      44.4 KB · Views: 162

jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    Interesting; do you use the same powder load in pistol and rifle? Maybe I’ll just use my reloads and a little more manly muscle on holding the rifle and stick with the A2.

No, that load for my carbine just cycles the slide on my CZ SP-01, and messes with my transitions with the pistol. I use the same bullet, but I use 3.2gr of Titegroup for my pistols. The heavier powder charge works great with the PCC, but there's more dot bounce.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Mantis

Latest threads

Top Bottom