• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • JBinDC

Ultimate Member
    Aug 29, 2012
    MoCo - Silver Spring
    Full size is made by Walther. The the compact is made in the USA by S&W.
    From what I have read the reliability issues in the full size are due to a gap in the feed ramp that the compact does not have.

The compact only takes 10 round mags. I believe you can add a few rounds to the the max with an extended floor plate.
    Mine runs sub and supersonic loads with no problem. The compact comes with a threaded barrel with under the slide so if you ever want to use it with a suppressor or a comp you just need to buy a $15 adapter to move the threaded end past the end of the slide.
    It is not a bullseye or target pistol. It has combat style sights but it is a good shooter. The trigger is not great but it is not bad either. It does have a decently short reset on the trigger that has a good tactile feel upon reset.

I will try to do a better write up sooner rather that later. I have been meaning to do it anyway.

In the picture is a target shot at ranges varying from 15-25 yards it was 300-400 from 6-7 manufacturers. Some of it was a hodgepodge of 20+ year old bulk Ammo. This was all done in less than two hours.

Great info, and nice shooting. Ya def got yer money's worth outta that Shoot NC! LOL Thanks! --JB

JBinDC

Ultimate Member
    Aug 29, 2012
    MoCo - Silver Spring
    My bride has a M&P .22 and so far hadn't had any issues with any ammo that has been shout out of it. Gun is more accurate than I am and runs flawless with out any hiccups. I have a couple of other S&W guns so I like the fact that it's a clone of the other ones which makes it easier to transition from one platform to the other. All the important levers and safety are in the same position. Fun gun and the mags can be has for a fair price.

Thanks for the input. Yeah, it is tempting to get since the manual of arms is similar to the M&P9, and I'd eventually like to teach my Sons how to shoot on both.

One reason I don't like the current SW22 Victory is cus of how hard it is to slingshot the bolt. I know that's easily resolved with say a TK Halo, but I don't necessarily like having to hang extra crap off of my gun to make it run normal operations... --JB

JBinDC

Ultimate Member
    Aug 29, 2012
    MoCo - Silver Spring
    I have the GSG 1911 and really like it. It has the feel of a regular 1911 just slightly lighter. Fun to shoot and surprisingly accurate. ATI has great customer service too. I had to send it back for service when it was four years old and they fixed it no charge and turned it around in less than two weeks. My son has the S&W compact 22and it is also a great little gun. Hard to choose between the two.

Nice to hear input from someone who regularly uses both. May I ask why the ATI had to go back for repairs, and at how many rounds you think you had this issue? TIA, --JB

threegun

Jan 26, 2013
    Westminster
    You left out the .22lr 1911 mfg by Walther ( Colt branded, probably others) . Yes , they are different from the GSG mfg ones .

I own this firearm. Granted it is a sample of one, but it is a great shooter. It seems to shoot any ammo. It has handled 2500 rounds of 10 different types. It works with and without a suppressor. It is my favorite 22 handgun. They make 10 and 12 round magazines. I purchased the the modified follower and base plate kit http://www.taylor-tactical-supply.com/colt-16rd-kit-with-bp-p/16-rd-colt-mag-upgrade-bp.htm to make them 16 rounds. Purchased and modified while in PA. No Maryland laws broken.

JBinDC

Ultimate Member
    Aug 29, 2012
    MoCo - Silver Spring
    I own this firearm. Granted it is a sample of one, but it is a great shooter. It seems to shoot any ammo. It has handled 2500 rounds of 10 different types. It works with and without a suppressor. It is my favorite 22 handgun. They make 10 and 12 round magazines. I purchased the the modified follower and base plate kit http://www.taylor-tactical-supply.com/colt-16rd-kit-with-bp-p/16-rd-colt-mag-upgrade-bp.htm to make them 16 rounds. Purchased and modified while in PA. No Maryland laws broken.

Thanks for feedback/info. I was thinkin that I'd do all the Nictaylor00 mods to mine if I opted for the GSG. Any idea if he has other mods for your brand of 1911 22? OP

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    It will take grips , sights , grip safeties , fire control ( trigger, hammer, etc ) intended for 1911 . Fixed bbl blowback , so no bushings or links to deal with .

Neutron

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 20, 2014
    severna park
    Nice to hear input from someone who regularly uses both. May I ask why the ATI had to go back for repairs, and at how many rounds you think you had this issue? TIA, --JB

I don't keep track of the rounds I put through any of my firearms, but it wasn't up to a thousand yet. The problem was with the sear locking up the trigger some how. Same problem both times. No problems since the second repair. I know this doesn't sound like a glowing review of the pistol or service but since it was way out of warranty and they were easy to reach on the phone and paid Fedex shipping both ways, I'm happy. Plus it's just a fun gun to shoot if you like 1911's.

JBinDC

Ultimate Member
    Aug 29, 2012
    MoCo - Silver Spring
    Just thought I'd close the loop on this thread. After MUCH indecision on what do do about my 22 Pistol solution, an Armslist ad tip from another MDS'er here has convinced me to keep my Victory and build her up.

Behold my face lifted Victory. I got this Volquartsen I-Fluted Barrel from a Rimfire Competitive Shooter out of Northern VA for just $160!!! That was just enough to sway me to keep this rig, as this is the barrel I wanted to get for it anyway. I still need grips, but the guy suggested I try out the Tandem Kross Hive rubber Grips before paying top dollar for some Volquartsen Wood Grips.

If a competition shooter suggests them, and they're only $40, I don't think I'm at that much of a loss to just try them. Looking forward to the continued journey building up this pistol.

Thanks no less for all the input from you all. --JB

4609b8939f39db463c4b611305d839bc.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bigjoegood1

King Lurker
    MDS Supporter
    May 2, 2005
    Behind enemy lines
    Thinking about the S&W M&P Compact 22. Handled one at the Chantilly Show today and now I want a tactical with the threaded barrel so I can add a can

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

JBinDC

Ultimate Member
    Aug 29, 2012
    MoCo - Silver Spring
    Thinking about the S&W M&P Compact 22. Handled one at the Chantilly Show today and now I want a tactical with the threaded barrel so I can add a can

I've seen some used for a really good price, but they don't last long.... Curious, how was the weight compared to say a M&P Compact in 9? I don't like my 22's too too light. I once had an Advantage Arms 22 slide conversion for a Glock 17, and it was almost like a toy it was so light.

bigjoegood1

King Lurker
    MDS Supporter
    May 2, 2005
    Behind enemy lines
    I've seen some used for a really good price, but they don't last long.... Curious, how was the weight compared to say a M&P Compact in 9? I don't like my 22's too too light. I once had an Advantage Arms 22 slide conversion for a Glock 17, and it was almost like a toy it was so light.
    Never handled a m&p compact but it's weight didn't feel out of line with it's size if you get what I'm saying

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom