• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • spoon059

Ultimate Member
    Jun 1, 2018
    I've been using a vibratory tumbler to clean brass and I just don't like it. The media gathers in the brass and I have to hand dump it before I can transfer to the shell holders, I never get it all and end up spilling at least some every time. Its a pain in the neck, but it's the cost of doing business. Today the wife yelled at me because apparently I made a bigger mess than normal and told me to find a better solution.

I've been researching US cleaners for some time, trying to figure if it'll work for me. The benefit of US over a tumbler and stainless pins is that the US cleaner can also clean my BCG, eventual suppressor and other stuff around the house. I know that a tumbler and pins will get the brass shinier, but all my research indicates that the ultrasonic cleaner is still better than vibratory.

So, I'm looking for advice about whether or not you recommend an ultrasonic cleaner for brass.

Then, assuming I do want an ultrasonic cleaner... Is the Harbor Freight sufficient? I don't shoot a ton and don't need to clean thousands of pieces of brass at a time, but I'm not opposed to a larger and better cleaner. I've been looking at the Vevor cleaners as well. They are marketed as commercial US cleaners, either the 3L or the 6L size. They have better heaters and longer timers than the Harbor Freight models, as well as stainless steel construction.

Any input would be appreciated, thanks all!

Mark K

Sep 29, 2013
    Colorado Springs, CO
    I'm by no means an expert, but I have a Hornady ultrasonic cleaner. I normally run brass through four separate 8-minute cycles after decapping. I don't obsess over primer pockets, and I don't polish. Brass gets acceptably clean -- still a bit discolored, depending on age. Ain't purdy, but it seems to be OK.

I use specific brass-cleaning liquid, and also clean small rifle parts (like BCG) using a separate cleaner.

There are also home-made formulas that include water, dish soap, and vinegar. But I've found this tends to turn brass green unless it's rinsed really, really well.

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    If you are buying something, get a wet tumbler with stainless media. A little Dawn and Lemi-Shine and brass comes out shiny and squeaky clean. Even the primer pockets are clean!

lensman

lensman
    Mar 14, 2012
    Near Annapolis
    I use a Lyman Ultrasonic Cleaner

I use the Lyman ultrasonic cleaner with their proprietary cleaners for both brass cases and steel parts.

Both the original one I bought from Midway and the replacement unit I got at no charge from Lyman fail to get to an adequate temperature. I get around this by heating distilled water (which I always use) to near boiling in the microwave before putting it in the tank,

Two or three reps of the longest cycles gets the brass very clean. I sometimes polish in corncob media.

I also use the Lyman for cleaning various metal guitar parts...works fine for them, too.

lkenefic

Ultimate Member
    Aug 19, 2011
    I've never tried an ultrasonic set-up, but I'm about to go "wet tumble" for processing brass. As I'm pulling out reloading gear that I've had stored for years I had the opportunity to check out my Frankford Arsenal vibratory unit. Dust had been an issue with this machine and inspecting the plastic tub revealed a small crack on the bottom. I had replaced the tub before using it the last time I prepped cases, so I probably have only 5-600 cases worth and I'd have to replace the tub... again. So, this time around instead of a replacement, I'm going with a Frankford wet tumbler with stainless steel pins.

I completely understand about the mess with corn cob or walnut media, and getting it out of cases and primer pockets. I had a vacuum cleaner set up to "suck out" all of my polished brass... and deal with the dust from media. But FWIW... I've seen YouTube videos with stainless pins that have worked their way into primer pockets too... although the brass looks a heck of a lot better and the primer pockets also seem to get cleaner. Bottom line... I'm still going to have a "case inspection" step after brass cleaning, but it will likely be in the case trimming/deburring step.

I'm just not sure... relatively speaking.... how "clean" an ultrasonic set up will be as compared to a wet tumble. From everything I've seen, the wet tumble machines do this task a bit better.

Best of Luck!

PowPow

Where's the beef?
    Nov 22, 2012
    Howard County
    I have a decent ultrasonic cleaner that I use for other things. I tried it on brass. I think the wet tumble process with SS pins is better for cleaning brass. (as Teratos recommends) I use a Lyman wet tumbler that I found on deep discount. Reviews of the Lyman often talk about leaks. It works great, and I must have gotten lucky - mine has never leaked.

Matlack

Scribe
    Dec 15, 2008
    I have been eyeballing an ultrasonic cleaner also, not just for brass. My concern is I have found media from my vibrating tumbler stuck in cases. What I want to do is to run the vibrating tumbler and then clean with ultrasonic. I also want to use it for parts other than brass. So it has multiple uses. I can use it beyond firearms as well.

85MikeTPI

Ultimate Member
    Jul 19, 2014
    Ceciltucky
    I use walnut in a vibrating tumbler for range brass cleaning (always add dryer sheets)
    I use corn in a vibrating tumbler for case lube cleaning (doesn't clog primer holes)
    I use wet tumbling for small batch precision rifle, and for converted 300BO brass (separating pins and drying brass adds work)
    I use ultrasonic cleaning for supressors

spoon059

Ultimate Member
    Jun 1, 2018
    I've researched the wet tumbling. You don't have dust, but you still have to separate the pins out. Ultra sonic isn't quite as shiny clean, but still very clean.

Sent from my SM-N970U using Tapatalk

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    If the media is getting stuck in the case, try changing the media.

I find that the Lyman corn cob is very small, and does not get packed in the cases.

I have some pet bedding from Pet Smart and if I use it on empty .223 brass, about 1 of 10 would be PACKED with media. So I only used that for pistol brass or for loaded rounds to remove lube (if needed).

Otherwise, I use the Lyman.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    I use and like the Lyman Media Separator, fast and gets it all out

That is the other thing.

Get a media separator. I have the smaller Dillon one, and you dump in the contents of the tumbler, give it a few spins, and you are done.

85MikeTPI

Ultimate Member
    Jul 19, 2014
    Ceciltucky
    That is the other thing.

Get a media separator. I have the smaller Dillon one, and you dump in the contents of the tumbler, give it a few spins, and you are done.

Yup, I have the RCBS equiv.. I actually have two, one for spinning out pins from the wet thumbler and another for spinning out either the walnut or corn.

inkd

Ultimate Member
    Aug 4, 2009
    Ridge
    A couple friends of mine used the ultrasonic cleaners for brass and the results weren't that impressive. I believe they both were Lymans.

I got one of their cleaners after they went to wet tumblers and use it for cleaning small parts. It does an okay job, but, I am glad it was gifted to me cause I don't think it's worth the money.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    I've been using a vibratory tumbler to clean brass and I just don't like it. The media gathers in the brass and I have to hand dump it before I can transfer to the shell holders, I never get it all and end up spilling at least some every time. Its a pain in the neck, but it's the cost of doing business. Today the wife yelled at me because apparently I made a bigger mess than normal and told me to find a better solution.

I've been researching US cleaners for some time, trying to figure if it'll work for me. The benefit of US over a tumbler and stainless pins is that the US cleaner can also clean my BCG, eventual suppressor and other stuff around the house. I know that a tumbler and pins will get the brass shinier, but all my research indicates that the ultrasonic cleaner is still better than vibratory.

So, I'm looking for advice about whether or not you recommend an ultrasonic cleaner for brass.

Then, assuming I do want an ultrasonic cleaner... Is the Harbor Freight sufficient? I don't shoot a ton and don't need to clean thousands of pieces of brass at a time, but I'm not opposed to a larger and better cleaner. I've been looking at the Vevor cleaners as well. They are marketed as commercial US cleaners, either the 3L or the 6L size. They have better heaters and longer timers than the Harbor Freight models, as well as stainless steel construction.

Any input would be appreciated, thanks all!

Are you using a media separator after tumbling? I got one the first time after I tumbled brass for reloading. A frankford arsenal one. Amazon had a return for like 1/3rd off. Works great. I still sometimes have a spec or two in the brass, but its very uncommon. I forget what size Lyman tumbler I have, but its either their largest or 2nd largest. No issues dumping like 400 pieces of 9mm in there (could easily do more if I don't load up the media as much). The media separator could probably handle 600-800 pieces of 9mm if you were careful about how you loaded it in to the cage.

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    Very appropo topic for me, because my vibratory tumbler basically died last night. I have also noticed that I'm doing more brass pickups, and trying to manage a cleaner out in my shed is less than appealing - I'd rather clean in the house, and then take the cleaned brass to the shed for processing. (I'm not a big "clean primer pockets" guy, I think it's basically worthless outside of benchrest competition.)

I have an ultrasonic cleaner. I've never been terribly impressed with its cleaning capabilities, even with the appropriate solution, but it is admittedly a trashy HF model that really isn't all that great. I am disinclined to spend a bunch of money on prosumer model.

I am leaning heavily towards a wet tumbler. I know Thumler's Model B is the best, but I have enough other stuff I gotta buy next month that I don't think it's in the cards. I am currently leaning towards the NM or FA tumblers, which are cheaper and appear to be relatively well-regarded.

STRONGLY CONCUR with the crowd that a good media separator is an essential purchase. I use the Hornady, which I don't necessarily love - the basket should be like 4 inches higher than it is - but it gets the job done.

inkd

Ultimate Member
    Aug 4, 2009
    Ridge
    I am leaning heavily towards a wet tumbler. I know Thumler's Model B is the best, but I have enough other stuff I gotta buy next month that I don't think it's in the cards.

When the time is right for you, check out the Rebel 17 from Stainless Tumbling Media before you go for a Thumlers.

Frankford Arsenal also has in interesting looking one.

In all actuality, I run my vibratory cleaners way more than my wet tumbler.

I get frustrated with the extra steps involved with the wet tumbler. If I had a laundry room with a deep sink, it may be easier. Emptying the tumbler in the shower and rinsing the brass in the shower is a big PITA for me. I have found that pressing the brass in old towels speeds up the drying process, I lay them out in front of a fan in the attic.

Needless to say, I only do rifle brass in the wet tumbler. I don't reload as much rifle brass.

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    When the time is right for you, check out the Rebel 17 from Stainless Tumbling Media before you go for a Thumlers.

Frankford Arsenal also has in interesting looking one.
    Thanks! I'll check them out.

I get frustrated with the extra steps involved with the wet tumbler. If I had a laundry room with a deep sink, it may be easier. Emptying the tumbler in the shower and rinsing the brass in the shower is a big PITA for me. I have found that pressing the brass in old towels speeds up the drying process, I lay them out in front of a fan in the attic.
    Yeah, the logistics are such that I have a laundry room with deep sink AND a second mostly-unused oven down in my basement for drying them quick. I concur that it is definitely not for everyone. :) About the only thing I gotta figure out is routing another outlet over to the laundry room.

inkd

Ultimate Member
    Aug 4, 2009
    Ridge
    Thanks! I'll check them out.

Yeah, the logistics are such that I have a laundry room with deep sink AND a second mostly-unused oven down in my basement for drying them quick. I concur that it is definitely not for everyone. :) About the only thing I gotta figure out is routing another outlet over to the laundry room.

Oh man, a deep sink AND spare oven? You are in high cotton!!!!

My little apartment is great for me in many ways. But, there are times I wish I had more space.

Allen65

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 29, 2013
    Anne Arundel County
    If you are buying something, get a wet tumbler with stainless media. A little Dawn and Lemi-Shine and brass comes out shiny and squeaky clean. Even the primer pockets are clean!

:thumbsup:
    I have an ultrasonic, and it's useful for cleaning off grit and range dirt. But to really scrub, I use one of the Thumler's wet tumblers with stainless pins:
    https://rocktumbler.com/thumlers/model-b.shtml. It works for cases, parts, tools, pretty much anything that has lots of nooks and crannies that needs a scrubbing or polishing.

Lemishine or citric acid powder in small amounts does shine cases up really nice, but the cleaning work is done by the detergent. I use this as the detergent, although it's probably overkill:
    https://simplegreen.com/industrial/products/extreme-aircraft-precision-cleaner/ . It's compatible with pretty much any metal and plastics, which dishwashing detergent isn't guaranteed to be. A little goes a long way; I'm still on my first jug after five years.

One lesson I learned with that tumbler the hard way, is don't use any petroleum-based solvents in it. It softens the rubber, liner which then gets ground up by the pins. Luckily Thumler's sells replacement parts.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom