• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • GoGoGadget

Deplorable Member
    Mar 10, 2011
    A.A.Co. and Carteret Co. NC
    They had a sale today at Homestead Gardens, but the weblink was broken and we didn't want to head down with having a pre-order on the books.

Wife saw that and was there this afternoon. No no chicken truck. Must have sold out quick, I guess. She was there to buy plants anyway.

Uncle Duke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 2, 2013
    Not Far Enough from the City
    But isn't this at the big chicken houses where the growers are raising the birds for these producers?
    I'm sure your right, if a house has a thousand birds that were due at the processing plant every week then my trying to keep a dozen or two from being wasted would just be a waste of time on their part. However if 100 people were to take 10 live birds for their own consumption that would save a lot of food from being wasted.

USDA rules Im sure

This, and general liability.

It's a damned shame to know those birds will go wasted. But you know, in many of the urban areas especially, you'd probably need a pool of 10,000 people nowadays, to find those 100 people who could (or would) process 10 live chickens from the field to the table. Sad, but that's part and parcel of today's scorn amongst many for hunting, and the field work that accompanies it. Hell, for most anything else for that matter, that resembles self sufficiency.

N3uka

Ultimate Member
    Aug 26, 2013
    College Park
    They had a sale today at Homestead Gardens, but the weblink was broken and we didn't want to head down with having a pre-order on the books.

Saw on news over 1000 cars in line waiting to get their order. Backed up all the way to route 50. Said sold out online in under 30 minutes.

TheBert

The Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 10, 2013
    Gaithersburg, Maryland
    [Kev308];5882421 said:
    Today at the grocery store there was ZERO chicken products in the meat section. Very scarce packets of ground beef.

I went to the butcher shop in Gaithersburg, the very western part of Gaithersburg, I live in Laytonsville, yesterday and bought some delicious files and strips. I then went to the Safeway next door. They had everything except lots of TP. They had TP brands that I had never seen before, about 50 package. The meat department's coolers were full of beef, pork, chicken, seafood. Get away from your area and go to other grocery stores.

[Kev308]

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 23, 2020
    Maryland
    I went to the butcher shop in Gaithersburg, the very western part of Gaithersburg, I live in Laytonsville, yesterday and bought some delicious files and strips. I then went to the Safeway next door. They had everything except lots of TP. They had TP brands that I had never seen before, about 50 package. The meat department's coolers were full of beef, pork, chicken, seafood. Get away from your area and go to other grocery stores.

That`s good to know. The store I go to usually isn`t depleted like that, although they finally got some TP! Thats been out for about a month.

Apr 8, 2020
    My wife had 20+ free range, but since Covid-19, predators have reduced down to 5-7. Heard very recently that hawks are extra vigilant these days...perhaps it has to do with less people outdoors.

I live near woods and it's not necessarily hawks, I've seen foxes and 2-3 eagles.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom