• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Threeband

The M1 Does My Talking
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 30, 2006
    Carroll County
    The Frommer Stop is long recoil! Totally crazy engineering!

Definitely belongs in my #3 Themed Collection, "3) Any other interesting, quirky, clever, or historically significant thing that appeals to me or falls in my lap."

It also falls under my #2 Theme: "Upside-down pistols".

rsideout

MDS Supporter
    Dec 11, 2009
    MD - Capital Region
    I like my .32's. A couple of Colts, a Savage, and a few Berettas.

Attachments

• image.jpg
      image.jpg
      56.3 KB · Views: 264

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Back in the day , in pistols available in both cals , the .32acp outsold the .380acp by 2 or 3 to one .

Good accuraccy , much better controlability. , better and more consistant penetration for those so enamored. And stopping power very close ( among similar bullet types ), yet pleasent enough to plink with.

In case you can't guess , I prefer .32acp over .380acp. If I want bigger than a .32acp , I go steight to 9mm (in a bottomfeeder) .

They were kind of a one import batch wonder , but my aluminum frame FEG .32 has a very nice trigger.

rico903

Ultimate Member
    May 2, 2011
    Yeap, and the Seecamp .32 is because of that.

The original original ones were designed for ONLY Winchester SilverTips.

I always wanted one. Are they on the handgun roster????

I bought an NAA Guardian because of the Silver Tip thing. The NAA will digest just about any .32 ammo. I researched it and it was very well rated, and a lot cheaper. Basically an almost exact copy.

rico903

Ultimate Member
    May 2, 2011
    I like my .32's. A couple of Colts, a Savage, and a few Berettas.

How do you like that Tom Cat? Been looking at a used one in an LGS. I had the .22 version and it was very ammo finicky. I'd love one of those Colts.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    I bought an NAA Guardian because of the Silver Tip thing. The NAA will digest just about any .32 ammo. I researched it and it was very well rated, and a lot cheaper. Basically an almost exact copy.

You have to remember, when the Seecamp came out, the Silvertip was the ONLY reasonable .32 ACP defense ammo. And Silvertip did not function (feed mainly) reliably in most .32 ACP pistols.

And the Seecamp was designed to be a small carry/backup pistol. It was really aimed as a backup for a uniformed officer.

I have no idea how they work with other modern ammo. Especially the newer ones.

From their website:

UPDATED 12/22/09:

We recommend the following ammunition: Winchester Silvertips, Winchester Q4255 71 gr. FMJ, Hornady 60 grain SJH/XTP, Speer Gold Dot, or Federal Hydra Shoks.

Not enough known: Magsafe (no personal experience, varied feedback from customers); RCBD (No personal experience); Corbon (I have seen a bullet separate from the case on emptying the chamber. The rounds from this box had an uneven bulge around the case mouth and were not completely concentric with the case).

Also, some history:

We’ve recommended Silvertips since we first introduced the LWS.32 back in 1985. At the time there was simply no market for the few oversized .32 caliber pistols still being made. As a result ammo choices were very limited. What once was an acceptable police and military cartridge was well on the road to becoming a novelty round in the USA used only by gun collectors shooting surplus ammunition on a Sunday afternoon. Pistols in .32ACP were becoming obsolete weapons because of their disproportionate size to caliber ratio and the increase in the number of criminals shooting back who were punching bigger holes.

At the time we began manufacturing the LWS.32 we were the only game in town on small .32ACP pistols and Winchester was the only viable option on hollow points. Kurt Canon of Glaser fame, with whom I regularly talked, quickly introduced the .32 Safety Slug in direct response to the LWS.32. The next kid on the block was Magsafe, followed years later respectively by Hydra Shok, Gold Dot, Corbon and Hornady.

When Federal first unveiled the 65 grain .32 Hydra Shok the cartridges would not fit in our magazines without binding although the overall length of the Hydra Shok round was identical to that of Silvertip. The folks at Federal apparently forgot to take into account the larger Hydra Shok cup required more clearance at the magazine wall radius. I tried some of these early rounds and recommended against them at the time. Federal has since fixed the problem by seating Hydra Shok bullets deeper into the case.

The LWS .32 was designed around the Silvertip cartridge. Initially, we tried to get the pistol to shoot everything, including ball ammo.

We quickly learned, however, that the problem of potential jams caused by random shuffling of rounds within a magazine because of excess play, now popularly referred to as rim lock, was something we had to take seriously. Rather than to have a pistol that marginally functioned with a variety of ammo, we opted to produce one that was maximally reliable with Silvertips ~ the only hollow point available to us at the time. For this reason, we provided spacers for our magazines. (Contrary to popular myth, we did not choose to limit our pistols to hollow points because of any space constrictions.)

Even a severely reduced load will cycle the LWS.32 action and a double load will not hurt it. The barrel is too short for a bullet to get stuck ~ a primer alone will launch the bullet ~ and the gun is strong enough to survive a proof load. (I have had guns cycle and feed the next round on just a primer load.)

rsideout

MDS Supporter
    Dec 11, 2009
    MD - Capital Region
    How do you like that Tom Cat? Been looking at a used one in an LGS. I had the .22 version and it was very ammo finicky. I'd love one of those Colts.

I like the Tom Cat. I've shot 4 or 5 different brands of .32ACP in them, and all worked fine. And I've never had a problem with my .22 or .25 Berettas being finicky. The .22 works great with subsonic and full powered loads. Of the .32s pictured, the Colt is the nicest shooter.

54rndball

take to the hills
    Mar 16, 2013
    Catonsville
    I got a CZ50 and a Colt 1903. Haven't shot them much but it is a cool round. Generals used to carry the Colt 1903. Put a round through someone's melon and it will stop them cold.

rdc

Ultimate Member
    Dec 3, 2010
    Middlefingurton
    Got to shoot a Frommer today. Pretty neat little pistol

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk1409537956.575764.jpg
      ImageUploadedByTapatalk1409537956.575764.jpg
      36.2 KB · Views: 221

Blue Fins

Aug 23, 2011
    I have a few... a couple Beretta Tomcat, an old Llama or two. nice shooting. My wife loves hers.

DollZ

Sep 11, 2015
    I just finally got my very first gun, a Colt 1903 made in 1920. I Seriously Adore it!
    Thanks for all the helpful info :)

BigDaddy

Ultimate Member
    Feb 7, 2014
    We quickly learned, however, that the problem of potential jams caused by random shuffling of rounds within a magazine because of excess play, now popularly referred to as rim lock, was something we had to take seriously.

Rather than to have a pistol that marginally functioned with a variety of ammo, we opted to produce one that was maximally reliable with Silvertips ~ the only hollow point available to us at the time.

For this reason, we provided spacers for our magazines.
    :
    This was from the Seecamp site I think.
    Where were the spacers, front, back?

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Tactical Shepherd

Latest threads

Top Bottom